[Q] Repair Cost in USA

Search This thread

shawndoc

Mar 7, 2008
Hi guys, something happened to my HTC one's USB port. In order to get the USB connection to work/charge, the cord has to be held at a certain angle. This is regardless of cable being used. I think it got damaged the other day when it slipped out of my car's phone mount while I was using it as GPS.

Anyone had any experience getting things fixed at the HTC repair center in the USA? Any idea what fixing something like this would cost?

shawndoc

Mar 7, 2008
A: I'm going to answer my own question after contacting HTC and Sprint. Here are my options:
1) On-site phone exchange - $19. They send me a mailer, I put my phone in, once they get it they send me a replacement. Likely a refurb.
2) Service Center - I mail it to the service center, they repair it and bill me. They estimated for this issue it would be $120. Benefit, I keep my own phone, although I'm sure they wipe it as part of the checklist.
3) Take it to Sprint, who will do a repair or replacement for $75.

So the risk with #1 and #3, is you will likely get a refurb, which may have the purple tint issue, wear and tear, etc. My luck has been *mostly* good with refubs, but a few years back when I was on T-Mobile, I one time had to get 3 different phones before I got a refurb that was fully functional. No idea how HTC or Sprint's QC is on refurbs.

#2 is the most expensive, but at least I will get my own phone back which I know has had the camera sensor replaced under warranty already and which has already been SIM unlocked.