Planning to take xda IIs apart.

Search This thread
W

wertert

I want to take my XDA IIs apart to see if it's possible to;

1) tighten up the keyboard slider mechanism.
2) make the 'stops' that hold the screen in the open position a little stronger. ie screen will not no easilly drop onto my thumbs while typing in bed.

Before I start I thought I'd open the idea up to the forum....Any advice please ?

There seem to be two sets of screws to play with, two T6? on the sides and two smaller screws on the back of the screen ( when opened ) which seem smaller. There are also three screws in the battery bay which I think are not related.

I'll take a few photos while I'm inside and post.

Jeff

Cheddies

Nov 22, 2004
That would be really useful as i am thinking of doing the same, mine is starting to loosen (tho o2 are being very nice to me at the moment and offering me a new one!)

wertert

Dec 10, 2004
dismantled my XDA IIs

ok the phone has been dismantled. You can see a few pics at the following URL.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1081010

They will load full size if you click on them a few times.

I will update the pics later with some text. Some initial observations.

1) The slider 'rail' system is spot/heat welded to the phone body - pict 2291 - does leave alot of room for adjustment.
2) The mic is actually quite large - if the mic hole in the casing was larger I think the people-ask-me-to-speak-louder problem would be improved.
3) The clip that holds the phone in the open/closed position is rubbish - pict 2295 - I would say that if this clip was stiffer the slider mechanism would function much better.

wertert

Dec 10, 2004
sorry. point 1 should read...

1) The slider 'rail' system is spot/heat welded to the phone body - pict 2291 - does NOT leave alot of room for adjustment.

Lone

Dec 3, 2004
Hi, if it's not too much trouble, could you enlarge the part where the volume slider is? Mine don't seems to have any latch where the silver button can catch onto (i.e when i fixed back the casing, the button is very loose and unable to adjust the volume no matter how much i slide it up or down). TIA! :)

G

Hi - if you click on the thumbnail you get a slightly larger version, if you then click on this you get a new browser windows which gives you the full 4 Megapixel size of 2304 x 1704 pixels which gives alot of detail. These are all the ( in focus ) pictures that I have. The phone has now been put back together.

bigblk150

Dec 2, 2004
PA
When I click on a thumbnail I get a medium-sized image, but clicking on that does nothing. Is there another way for us to get the fullsize images?

Thanks!

CPGOD

Jun 11, 2003
Nottingham
Replace the screen

Now the IIs is open, have you considered replacing the screen with an ordinary II? Do the connectors look the same?
Ive been reading, and can now observe for myself that the IIs screen is more 'yellow' than the II.
Thoughts?

nutsnbolts

Dec 1, 2004
Kudos for your bravery! Please post your solution to tightening the slider. You will undoubtedly ascend to PPC demi-god status if you find a way.Excellent work! Keep us updated please.

Cheers!

kelvin_27_84

May 24, 2004
Singapore
the pics in the zipped are corrupted..... its not even 4.5mb... something is wrong with the file pls upload the files again thank you so much... after looking at the bigger pics then i will be able to see if the LCD can be replace....

bigblk150

Dec 2, 2004
PA
wertert,

Yes, zip file is only 1.5 KB... please repost.

When you took the device apart, did you notice where the WiFi antenna was and if it could possibly be relocated? A lot of people are complaining about the WiFi reception in the Blue Angel and, chances are, it's due to the antenna design/placement/location.

Thanks!

G

sorry about that.....I've tried uploading again but I seem to get a problem. Even uploading the raw jpg files is failing. I think my web site allocation is full up ! Does anyone have an FTP site I could put these picture on ?

sorci

Dec 1, 2004
thanks for opening up the PDA2K for us...

1) So how did you finally fixed the loose keyboard????

2) Also, can it be that people that got their keyboard too loosed
used a PDA2K case such as the PEIL FRAMA one?
That case has a large and rather thick plastic that covers the
keyboad and goes between the keyboard and the body, it seems like it may case the keyboard to be loosed after sometime.

Thanks

pvbutler

Dec 22, 2004
Re: dismantled my XDA IIs

2) The mic is actually quite large - if the mic hole in the casing was larger I think the people-ask-me-to-speak-louder problem would be improved.

Did you make any modifications to the phone to improve the ability of the mic to pick up your voice?

S

StirliTZ

Krusell case loosened keyb in 1.5 months

Yes sorci's right! The gap increased since I got my i-mate into such a case with a thick plastic cover over the keys. Everyday i notice it incresing. Loox like paranoia :) Well, what to do with the problem? Living in Russia I got no hopes for friendly product support. Have to solve it by means of a screwdriver and a hammer. Wish me luck, colleagues.

S

StirliTZ

Krusell case loosened keyb in 1.5 months

Yes sorci's right! The gap increased since I got my i-mate into such a case with a thick plastic cover over the keys. Everyday i notice it incresing. Loox like paranoia :) Well, what to do with the problem? Living in Russia I got no hopes for friendly product support. Have to solve it by means of a screwdriver and a hammer. Wish me luck, colleagues.

chris.k

Dec 20, 2004
London
My 2K internal pictures

I fixed my slider problem i have posted some pictures in 5 megapixel quality for clarity.unclip white plastic clips from bottom of slider plate and then Bend sides of slider plate out slightly,refit slider plate and plastic stop clips and you get smooth steady reistance all the way with no more gaps....ENJOY :D

Attachments

• front_panel_assy_front_166.jpg
    front_panel_assy_front_166.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • front_panel_assy_left_hinge_142.jpg
    front_panel_assy_left_hinge_142.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • front_panel_assy_top_755.jpg
    front_panel_assy_top_755.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
  • slider_hinge_1.jpg
    slider_hinge_1.jpg