[APP] Task Identifier [Android 2.1 and up!!!]

Search This thread

x2kjosh

Jul 14, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
!!!If you have Android 2.1 the app now is in the market!!!

Android 2.2 and higher are also still supported

This is not another Auto Task Killer, no.

Thanks for all the help from everyone! We've moved into a lite and full version now on Android 2.2 and 2.3 phones.This is a new program which allows the user to specify alert levels to phone tasks and give you insight into what your phone is really doing. Make a call, ever wonder what apps may be listening? What's going on when you phone is in standby? In creating this, I will say that I've been surprised a few times at what is really going on. I want any and all feedback as well as we are trying to make this into something special. I am the actual developer of this app.

The full version has:

-Common Names and Actual Application Icons
-No Ads
-Access to all App Settings
-Ability to change alert level from List Tasks
-Removed Internet and Location Permissions

And we have a slew of other features planned for only the full version, but we don't want to spill the beans on those quite yet, but they will enhance the tool greatly!

Both versions now have the new UI as well.

Anyone who had the beta should be notified to upgrade to the lite version now.

Download Task Identifier Lite from your phone:
market://search?q=pname:com.task.identifier

Download Task Identifier Full from your phone:
market://search?q=pname:com.task.identifier.full

I've also attached a QR Code to scan for both versions. Or just search for Task Identifier in the market.

I hope you all find this useful and enjoy!!

Attachments

• qr.png
    qr.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 796
  • qrf.png
    qrf.png
    1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
Hehe, I like how the only comment for the app (5 stars and "awesome" as comment) is currently by a user named 'x2k'. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

I've just installed it and it's been less than a minute and I got an alert from an app that no longer needs to sync...So I disabled it (every little bit of non-sync means longer battery life!).

So far it's looking very promising! I'll definitely report back on my experiences!

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
Okay, first big thing...

Can you please resolve the cryptic app names to their more friendly name variants?

It's hard to read and make out the com.blah designations.

Thanks!

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
So far it seems like a cool app. I've been using WatchDog for ages to alert me when an app misbehaves.

But I'm confused about this app. When would you want to be using this? Can you give an example?

I'll keep it installed and see how it goes. Thanks.

Last edited:

x2kjosh

Jul 14, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
So far it seems like a cool app. I've been using WatchDog for ages to alert me when an app misbehaves.

But I'm confused about this app. When would you want to be using this? Can you give an example?

I'll keep it installed and see how it goes. Thanks.

Thanks for trying. This is more of an app to alert you as to what your phone is doing, ie what loads at a given point in time on your phone.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for trying. This is more of an app to alert you as to what your phone is doing, ie what loads at a given point in time on your phone.

Thanks. I'm playing around with it and actively trying to make notifications pop up :) I opened Facebook and Google Reader started, as did Maps. Weird.

Which brings me to a question: how do we know whether the task started was CAUSED by the current app I'm using, or Android just randomly started it?

For example, it's possible Facebook opened Maps in order to try to get my location, but I don't see the connection between Facebook and Google Reader. Which is why I ask if it's random, or the app I'm using is causing other tasks to run.

x2kjosh

Jul 14, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks. I'm playing around with it and actively trying to make notifications pop up :) I opened Facebook and Google Reader started, as did Maps. Weird.

Which brings me to a question: how do we know whether the task started was CAUSED by the current app I'm using, or Android just randomly started it?

For example, it's possible Facebook opened Maps in order to try to get my location, but I don't see the connection between Facebook and Google Reader. Which is why I ask if it's random, or the app I'm using is causing other tasks to run.

I've found when you start doing things you see patterns. On my old Eris while I was testing this, every time I made a phone call, ebay would start! Glad it seems to be working for you! Thanks!

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
I'm liking this app more and more. A few more comments and requests.

Comments
* I like the main app window. Large fonts, long-press to get quick-help or short press to go to the item. Nice
* Screen off app start notification, nice!

Requests
1. Possible to get more detail about why or how an app was triggered? Like, was it triggered by a service? another app? etc. And did the triggered app take any actions? Like sending network traffic or queried the GPS and such?
2. The 'Setup Alerts' window is hard to read through, could you maybe add color so all the status 'Green' items have the word 'Green' in green font and so on?

Just added a 5 star rating on Market, keep up the good work!

Reactions: x2kjosh

x2kjosh

Jul 14, 2010
Castle Rock, CO

Comments
* I like the main app window. Large fonts, long-press to get quick-help or short press to go to the item. Nice

Requests
1. Possible to get more detail about why or how an app was triggered? Like, was it triggered by a service? another app? etc. And did the triggered app take any actions? Like sending network traffic or queried the GPS and such?
2. The 'Setup Alerts' window is hard to read through, could you maybe add color so all the status 'Green' items have the word 'Green' in green font and so on?

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are features we truly will consider adding as it will just make the tool even better. Thanks!

gravejester

Jul 4, 2010
First of all, thanks for a great app.

I really like the fact that it reports on tasks/processes started while the screen was off!

I have some suggestions though:

1: When I click the icon in the app list to open the menu, it just shows the "Starting monitor" message and nothing else. I have to open an app to get the message in the pull down bar and click on that to start the application it self.

2: On my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 the layout of the application is just a bit to long for a full screen. We are talking about 1 cm or something.

3: I would very much like a log, so that I can check back, what applications started during screen off, and at what time/date.

4: The way the Android memory management works, I guess it's normal for Android to start and application/process to memory by itself from time to time. Is it possible to show this somehow? For what is interesting here is when an application is launching another application or process, and not when Android memory management is putting an application in memory.

Thanks for your great work, I'm looking forward to further updates to the application!

Jubei71

Jan 13, 2011
Installed.

I like the idea that we can see what tasks are really doing in the background. But as noted by some above, the notifications are a bit cryptic at the moment.

After installing and running the app, I started updating some of my other apps in App Market and my phone crashed. This has not happened before and I seems from my layman eyes that too many things might have been running in the background.

When the phone restarted, it too forever for anything to be displayed and the 3 widgets I had on the homescreen refused to load up. Again it seems to me that this app is popping up too many notifications - I have now stopped the app from starting up and running on start up.

I don't know whether this is unique to me or not though. I am running the app on Samsung Galaxy S (international) on stock Froyo with LauncherPro.

Still, I like this app and will use it more. Keep up the great work and many thanks.

Edit : just checked app settings again, and although I explicit unchecked app running on phone startup, the box is checked again. I unchecked the box and pressed save again. Re-entered app settings and the box is checked again. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

jdb78

Nov 17, 2008
Thank you very much for that app, it's awesome. I agree with the recent posters that the name of the app in addition to the com.blah.blubb would be a great help to identify the task. Also I'd like to see a possibility for a logfile.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I can hardly read the small, dark font when setting task levels since I use almost the very darkest display settings to save battery. So being able to chose the font color would be great but has absolutely no priority. Again: great app!Using it all day long now and I am surprised what tasks are being started!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !!!If you have Android 2.1 the app now is in the market!!!

Android 2.2 and higher are also still supported

This is not another Auto Task Killer, no.

Thanks for all the help from everyone! We've moved into a lite and full version now on Android 2.2 and 2.3 phones.This is a new program which allows the user to specify alert levels to phone tasks and give you insight into what your phone is really doing. Make a call, ever wonder what apps may be listening? What's going on when you phone is in standby? In creating this, I will say that I've been surprised a few times at what is really going on. I want any and all feedback as well as we are trying to make this into something special. I am the actual developer of this app.

The full version has:

-Common Names and Actual Application Icons
    -No Ads
    -Access to all App Settings
    -Ability to change alert level from List Tasks
    -Removed Internet and Location Permissions

And we have a slew of other features planned for only the full version, but we don't want to spill the beans on those quite yet, but they will enhance the tool greatly!

Both versions now have the new UI as well.

Anyone who had the beta should be notified to upgrade to the lite version now.

Download Task Identifier Lite from your phone:
    market://search?q=pname:com.task.identifier

Download Task Identifier Full from your phone:
    market://search?q=pname:com.task.identifier.full

I've also attached a QR Code to scan for both versions. Or just search for Task Identifier in the market.

I hope you all find this useful and enjoy!!

Comments

Requests

Can I confirm, is the app able to tell what apps are using your mobile data connection?

This is on our list... linking an app to its permissions.

On a side note, v1.0.1-beta has hit the market with some bug fixes. Biggest one is fixing the force close in list alerts clicking the first item. Also the screen off alert should only notify you of things in your alert level settings. Some other minor adjustments as well. Thanks to everyone for their continued support!;)
    Thanks for that. I was more meaning is it able to tell you what apps are actively using your mobile data as opposed to those which are able to. I've had a few friends who've recently purchased Android devices and they are using more mobile data than expected and asked me if I knew of an app which could be used to identify what apps are using what percentage of their mobile data.

There are a lot (p.ex. Network trafficstats, traffic counter pro) and yes they do count the amount per app ;)

Ge...ta...ta...tapatalked mit meinem Desire