Disable capacitive button light ?

Search This thread

Ramnathe P

Nov 15, 2013
Thalassery, Kannur
It's been 4 years of Galaxy S I9000 and no developer has yet developed a method to turn off the capacitive button light. This is very necessary as it could help with the very low battery capacity. I strongly request developers to concentrate their skills on this, to disable the light and thereby prevent the irritation to eye during the night & save a lot of juice.
Please Help
Thanks

Oct 8, 2011
It's been 4 years of Galaxy S I9000 and no developer has yet developed a method to turn off the capacitive button light. This is very necessary as it could help with the very low battery capacity. I strongly request developers to concentrate their skills on this, to disable the light and thereby prevent the irritation to eye during the night & save a lot of juice.
Please Help
Thanks

Pardon me if I misunderstood your question.
If you just want the buttons not to turn on when receiving an sms (i.e. acting as notification led) then CyanogenMod has that option, just go into Settings->CyanogenMod->Audio->Quiet hours (or something to that effect), set from, say, 2:00 to 1:59 (all day minus 1') and check last option (Dim LED or something).
If you want them not to light up under any circumstance, well, I don't think I'd use that setting but I guess it'd be nice to have! ;)

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune
Try adding qemu.hw.mainkeys =0 to the build.prop file of your phone. Just let me know if that helped. :D PS: If you're using Nightlies, the build.prop file keeps resetting.

pryerlee

Nov 18, 2008
Bristol
I think "qemu.hw.mainkeys" is to disable the virtual button bar on JB roms and not to turn off the soft key backlights (although i could be wrong?). You can add an init.d script that shortens how long they stay on for (i don't think you can turn them off completely) i set mine to 000 sec and they stayed on permanently so i set it to 001 sec and that works for me. Do a search for the init.d script, it's on xda somewhere.

Last edited:

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune
On certain custom ROMs, they do act as a notification LED. So, that stays on until you turn in the phone. So all you have to is go to Settings>Display>Notification Lights (it will be called something similar) and then turn it off. Some ROMs could have a different way to turn it off. Also, I don't think that you lose battery when they turn on as you click on the buttons.

Cheers! The thanks button is right there... Just saying..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app