HTC TyTN - Replace your blackberry!

Search This thread

Ice Blade

Sep 4, 2006
DC
I'll admit, I take a lot of good info from these boards and am usually far too busy to post. But this time I feel I have something great to share.

I bought a TyTN the other day...got here Wednesday. I was sick so I didn't start to play much with it until today.

Let me just set the tone here: I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET AROUND MY CORPORATE IT DEPARTMENT FOR YEARS. FIRST I GOT MY SPRINT TREO TO GET BLACKBERRY EMAILS, BUT NOT TRUE PUSH...THEN I GAVE UP FOR A WHILE AND USED A SPRINT 7250...but BB's are A WASTE, LESS FUNCTIONAL, and just a POOR CHOICE for today's mobile professional.

Now I have found today: The HTC TyTN can VERY EASILY be made into a corporate BES-connected Blackberry if you so desire, and conencted to YOUR CURRENT corporate BES account, without their intervention! I have done this with my Sprint 7250 BB account, and done it back and forth all day from T-mo to Cingular (Cingular wins out because of 3G of course...gotta have good slingbox when I can!)

All you need is a 'blackberry enabled SIM card' (really, just add the unlimited BES ENABLED (NOT THE "PERSONAL") blackberry plan to T-mo or Cingular) and a corporate BES account (that you haven't been able to touch for years, LOCKING you to a USELESS paperweight of a dumb-phone!) I know some others were lucky enough to have a Cingular SIM card in their corporate BB already and this wasn't a big deal. But I was not and I see many other are having trouble starting out with with non-Cingular blackberry devices. So check out how I ended up getting my way, finally after 4 years!

0) Insert (or go buy) a personal, non-blackberry-enabled Cingular (3G) SIM card. You should be able to surf for UMTS/HSDPA data and all that...

1) Install BBConnectr_PocketPC_BB_2.1.2.16 on the HTC TyTN.

2) Install Activesync2.1.1.9 for mobile on the desktop.

3) Connect the HTC to the computer via USB, then open PC's Activesync 2.1.1.9. You will be asked if you want to change your PIN -- say YES! (you can always go back. Remember, it DOES NOT MATTER what service your BB is CURRENTLY through...we are going to make it through Cingular for you here in a second!)

4) Call Cingular and have them add the unlimited $49.95 blackberry plan, assumedly on top of your unlimited data plan. While I was willing to pay $145 a month to have everything in one device, just to spite my corporate IT department, here's the catch: They will come back and say you can't have both! Take the Unlimited blackberry plan (which will allow the PocketPC BB Connect software you installed to get through Cingular's network to "blackberry.net" So Instead of $40 for unlimited data, $10 more is getting my (and i have tested it) 3G data and blackberry.net access!

From there, you should be good like me.

I'm still figuring out the nuances, like how to minimize down-time after web surfing for BB connect to get back 'connected' again. I suspect in an all-3G area (in which i am NOT), this may not be an issue.

I have placed the updated, verified as working (on both T-mo and Cingular) versions of Activesync2.1.1.9 and BBConnect_PocketPC_BB_2.1.2.16 in the "upload" directory of the web site. (as well as the 2.1 manual) That is /Hermes/Tools_and_Programs. Hopefully it gets moved over soon.

Keep on rocking everyone -- we are forging new capabilities together that make our lives easier, more fun, and more convenient!

Love and bruises,

Greg

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
It's your IT group that's at fault btw... I'm the technology guy for our IT group and we're getting rid of the BES and switching to direct push instead. Why? Tell your IT dept this: a BES places a 50% higher IO load on your Exchange server :shock:. This is because it must scan all blackberry enabled mailboxes every second or so looking for changes!

Now that devices like the Q have the MSFP, our execs have a nice alternative to their 8700s.

I've also installed LCS 2K5 with an Access Proxy and we are now all moving to Mobile Communicator for IM. This is a great little program that also gateways to AIM and Yahoo.

I believe IT should empower their users with technology, not be a bunch of Nazis.....

mightyeric

Aug 27, 2006
BAH ! ! !

Tytn has more functions, but isn't nearly as good of a phone - especially for someone who spends a lot of time driving

gravejoker

Sep 3, 2006
mightyeric said:
BAH ! ! !

Tytn has more functions, but isn't nearly as good of a phone - especially for someone who spends a lot of time driving

Mate .. you need a bluetooth headset on your TyTN!!! :idea: And you should not drive anyways while talking on your phone :wink:

the blues

May 31, 2006
even though this doesnt belong in this forum i figured you guys would know. do cingular blackberrys (the 8700) work on the new 3g network? and can u install AIM (a version that does not use text messages)?

saldous

May 19, 2005
When you get an email via BES, can you read the attachments though?

does it also wirelessly sync your calendar and contacts with BES?

seanrkelly

Jun 8, 2005
London
I seem to have it all working but when I restart the tytn, the blackberry service doesn't connect. The config program says 'no connection' (although it was fine right after I installed) Has anyone else seen this and got round it?

davejeff

Mar 4, 2005
Quick config question on BBConnect...

For all those that have this successfully working on a TyTN - did you have to tweak any connection settings on the PPC ?

I've installed BBConnect (2.1.2.16) onto the PPC and BBDesktop (2.1.1.18) onto the PC. Used Activesync and got all my calendar entries over. Now when I come to have the BBC connect wirelessly, it fails to connect and eventually goes into 'Suspended by User' state.

I played around and defined a connection called 'Blackberry' with all the settings 'blackberry.net, rim, password etc..) and can now actually get it to Connect successfully...

The issue now is that no email flows.... in fact nothing flows at all and I can't send a message as it indicates it's a 'malformed message'.

Any ideas ?

I've had Cingular confirm that my data account is set up for 'BlackBerry Connect Unlimited'...

I never had a blackberry before so I'm into new territory here...

Any advice on how to get this working ?

Cheers
Dave

groggrog

Oct 13, 2003
Since some of you appear to have gotten Blackberry Connect working with Cingular on a mobile device I'm hoping you can give me some useful information. I have the service in place from Cingular, and have the understanding that with Blackberry Connect from Cingular I need no other data plan from them. It will cover all of my other data services. This part seems to be working fine. What's not working is the Blackberry Connect software itself. It always gives me "Blocked - Radio In Use". I am wondering if it is because I have a connection set up for "MY ISP" based on Cingulars default installation. If it's supposed to be using Blackberry Connect for data, should I be deleting the MY ISP configuration? Could that be what's keeping the radio in use? I would assume the only thing using the radio should be the Blackberry Connect service since that's the only plan I have.

Help?

Thanks

ceaesq

Nov 12, 2006
I get a message that the program cannot determine the type of network and to ensure the radio is on when I try to run Blackberry Connect for Pocket PC on my unlocked HP hw6945. It installed fine from the hosted exe file.

My theory is that the problem is the program is looking for the phone's frequency/band settings in WM5. The HP hides these as it features an automatic band/frequency transition radio. Does anyone know how to unhide WM5's menu and settings for the phone band/frequency?

BTW I have a new 64k Cingular smartcard sim with Blackberry Connect service (verified working with my Blackberry 7100t unlocked).

baudy2

Nov 23, 2005
Geneva
Hi all !

Was anybody able to run BlackBerry Connect on Cingular 1.31 ROM ?
It was run without any problems for me on 1.34, but does not work on 1.31.

Anybody else with the same problem ?

Regards,

baudy2

hatfiemh

Nov 19, 2006
I followed HTC TyTN - Replace your blackberry instructions and software installs fine on Cingular 8525. I received system book from BES, but after the 8525 connects, a few minutes latter the Blackberry goes to "Suspended by user" and email is never received. Does anything else need to be setup, ie a different connection in the network connections on the device?

Thanks

fenec

Aug 17, 2006
When you get an email via BES, can you read the attachments though?

does it also wirelessly sync your calendar and contacts with BES?

The Calendar and Contacts works fine!! You need to find the contacts....its the same of BBconnect for Nokia.

But you cant view all the attachments, only excel, word.....
Not read .jpg .mp3 and more.

ceaesq

Nov 12, 2006
HP6945 update

I happened to go overseas last week and while there and roaming on O2 I was able to get past the second screen and get the BB Connect to start. However, it would not generate the PIN (status: "pending"). Hoping that once past that obstacle once back on Cingular US I could get further, but no joy.

Right now I'm trying the Xpress Mail product which pushes and syncs calendar and email via a redirector; it seems to be finicky though.