★★★ [GUIDE] How To Use Metamorph ★★★

Search This thread

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Some have asked that I explain this app, and include it in the noob guide. I will oblige, but wanted to create this thread, and just link to it.

I want to keep the Noob Guide as clean as possible.

For a much more detailed explanation, please see Stericson's thread found here.

WHAT IS METAMORPH?

Short Answer: An easy way to theme/change an already existing apk or jar file. Anything from changing the entire look, down to just changing the color of your clock can be done. Metamorph is merely a tool to do what the zip file you download tells it to do.

If you want a longer answer, click on the link to Stericson's thread referenced above.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE PROCEEDING
Be certain to make a nandroid backup before applying a metamorph. It's the easiest way to revert, or in case of an error.

HOW DO I USE METAMORPH?

-1-
First, find the metamorph file you want. These are likely going to be in the Vibrant Theme Section.

Some ROMs will include metamorph files already (ie Trigger has a Trigger Addon Folder located in sdcard/Trigger Addons).

-2-
Download the file if it was not included in the rom. You can create a metamorph folder, you can leave them on your sdcard... really not that important, so long you can recall where they are located. I would encourage creating a folder.

Example. Open a file manager, go to sdcard/, create a folder, rename it Metamorph.

Move any metamorph files to this location. Doesn't need to be done this way, just my method.

-3-
Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > make sure USB Debugging is checked.

-4-
Download Metamorph from the market.
snap20110328_133501.png

-5-
Open Metamorph. It will do a system check to make sure there are no issues. If an issue is identified, address it. If it closes, just open the app again. Metamorph is odd and sometimes you may need to try multiple times (especially true when trying to apply a metamorph). Likely you will get a prompt that the app needs root permissions. Give it access, and I would check the "remember" option.
snap20110328_133527.png

-6-
Once it has loaded, press "Unzip/Extract New Theme"
snap20110328_133711.png

-7-
I typically will then press the Blue Back Arrow (bottom right). Navigate to the folder where your Metamorph files are located. If using Trigger: sdcard/Trigger Addons. Click on the metamorph zip that you would like to use.
snap20110328_133731.png
snap20110328_141802.png

-8-
Once you click on the zip, metamorph will unzip it. There likely is a pop message deatiling the zip you have extracted.
snap20110328_142359.png

-9-
At the next screen you can see the details again. In the bottom right there will be an "Apply All" button. This will typically be the option you want. Select it.
snap20110328_142421.png

-10-
Depending on what the zip is modifying, you may have a pop like the one below. Continue if you like.
snap20110328_142611.png

-11-
After you click to apply the metamorph, you will see the below scree. This process can take around 1-3 minutes depending on the # of files. If you have waited 5+ minutes, just press the back arrow and try again. Metamorph is a little odd and you may need to apply these more than once to take.
snap20110328_143031.png

-12-
Once done you MAY need to reboot for the metamorph to take. Some times it will reboot on it's on... sometimes it will not. If you flashed the metamorph with no issues and it did not take, reboot.. problem solved? If not, use metamorph again.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Cool man. I've had people asking me.. and I've seen people asking for your help in your thread. Hopefully people will start referring people to this... always looking for ways to improve, so please PM/post your suggestions everyone.

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
All the effort into this post... no responses other than BT *who gets bugged relentlessly on this topic* AND I still see people posting Qs on how to metamorph. I am losing faith, ha.

|Melvin|

Dec 21, 2010
Advanced Dev Team
I think even me can benefit with this app eventhough i know a lil about metamorph...thankx..ill read a lil when i get home since my sexy vibrant is running on 2 % on battery lols.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: lol Qaeda

learn2swim96

Feb 5, 2011
Spring, Texas
All the effort into this post... no responses other than BT *who gets bugged relentlessly on this topic* AND I still see people posting Qs on how to metamorph. I am losing faith, ha.

This is the 3rd thread of yours that has been amazingly helpful to me!!! I'm very new to all of this but you seem to write everything up so that I can understand it. ROMs for Dummies or somesuch. LOL!! I'm sure lots more noobs like me appreciate it and maybe they're scared to jump into the light. :D

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
This is the 3rd thread of yours that has been amazingly helpful to me!!! I'm very new to all of this but you seem to write everything up so that I can understand it. ROMs for Dummies or somesuch. LOL!! I'm sure lots more noobs like me appreciate it and maybe they're scared to jump into the light. :D

Ha, I appreciate it man. Glad to know this thread helped somebody!

Next guide I write may be steps to flash CM7... maybe.

Vibrantnew-b

Jan 18, 2011
You always offer a lot of helpful information, thank you! I understand this a little bit better but I guess i'm still a bit confused. If I find say a battery mod I like in another rom how do I go about creating a metamorph?

Reactions: s15274n

memekmek

Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
last time i tried this my phone froze and i had to do a nandroid restore, hopefully attempt number two works. i may attempt zipthemer too? not sure yet

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some have asked that I explain this app, and include it in the noob guide. I will oblige, but wanted to create this thread, and just link to it.

I want to keep the Noob Guide as clean as possible.

For a much more detailed explanation, please see Stericson's thread found here.

WHAT IS METAMORPH?

Short Answer: An easy way to theme/change an already existing apk or jar file. Anything from changing the entire look, down to just changing the color of your clock can be done. Metamorph is merely a tool to do what the zip file you download tells it to do.

If you want a longer answer, click on the link to Stericson's thread referenced above.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE PROCEEDING
    Be certain to make a nandroid backup before applying a metamorph. It's the easiest way to revert, or in case of an error.

HOW DO I USE METAMORPH?

-1-
    First, find the metamorph file you want. These are likely going to be in the Vibrant Theme Section.

Some ROMs will include metamorph files already (ie Trigger has a Trigger Addon Folder located in sdcard/Trigger Addons).

-2-
    Download the file if it was not included in the rom. You can create a metamorph folder, you can leave them on your sdcard... really not that important, so long you can recall where they are located. I would encourage creating a folder.

Example. Open a file manager, go to sdcard/, create a folder, rename it Metamorph.

Move any metamorph files to this location. Doesn't need to be done this way, just my method.

-3-
    Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > make sure USB Debugging is checked.

-4-
    Download Metamorph from the market.
    snap20110328_133501.png

-5-
    Open Metamorph. It will do a system check to make sure there are no issues. If an issue is identified, address it. If it closes, just open the app again. Metamorph is odd and sometimes you may need to try multiple times (especially true when trying to apply a metamorph). Likely you will get a prompt that the app needs root permissions. Give it access, and I would check the "remember" option.
    snap20110328_133527.png

-6-
    Once it has loaded, press "Unzip/Extract New Theme"
    snap20110328_133711.png

-7-
    I typically will then press the Blue Back Arrow (bottom right). Navigate to the folder where your Metamorph files are located. If using Trigger: sdcard/Trigger Addons. Click on the metamorph zip that you would like to use.
    snap20110328_133731.png
    snap20110328_141802.png

-8-
    Once you click on the zip, metamorph will unzip it. There likely is a pop message deatiling the zip you have extracted.
    snap20110328_142359.png

-9-
    At the next screen you can see the details again. In the bottom right there will be an "Apply All" button. This will typically be the option you want. Select it.
    snap20110328_142421.png

-10-
    Depending on what the zip is modifying, you may have a pop like the one below. Continue if you like.
    snap20110328_142611.png

-11-
    After you click to apply the metamorph, you will see the below scree. This process can take around 1-3 minutes depending on the # of files. If you have waited 5+ minutes, just press the back arrow and try again. Metamorph is a little odd and you may need to apply these more than once to take.
    snap20110328_143031.png

-12-
    Once done you MAY need to reboot for the metamorph to take. Some times it will reboot on it's on... sometimes it will not. If you flashed the metamorph with no issues and it did not take, reboot.. problem solved? If not, use metamorph again.

Enjoy!
    Thanks, this was much needed!
    I think even me can benefit with this app eventhough i know a lil about metamorph...thankx..ill read a lil when i get home since my sexy vibrant is running on 2 % on battery lols.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App

Ha, I appreciate it man. Glad to know this thread helped somebody!

Next guide I write may be steps to flash CM7... maybe.