The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?

• Yes.

Votes: 213 47.9%
  • No.

Votes: 107 24.0%
  • Haven't decided.

Votes: 125 28.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
I just wanted to bring up a few thoughts I've had about the upcoming OUYA console, and see what you guys think.

1. I still don't really understand how/why all of this couldn't have been handled by simply creating a GoogleTV-specific OUYA app...?

2. Besides the OUYA's dedicated game-centric market, and their custom controller, what does one really gain that is not already available in the Android ecosystem?

3. How do they plan to prevent their entire custom OS (Or their individual apps) from being ported to other Tegra-based GTV devices in the future? Or, given their outright support for hacking the device, would they even care?

4. And then there's this: Google reportedly making a Game Center for Android
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-reportedly-making-a-Game-Center-for-Android_id30026/
If one was to pair the above (hypothetical) "GTV Game Center" app with a Google-branded "Nexus Controller," wouldn't the entire OUYA become pointless? Would you prefer an app/service that is fully integrated with the entire Google ecosystem, rather than a custom version of the OS and functionality that are outside of (or weakly tied to) said ecosystem?

That said, I still plan to buy a OUYA, but only because I'm a sucker for shiny new toys -- especially of the Android variety! :laugh:

What are your thoughts? Am I "over thinking" this console? Do you think it will be made pointless by an evolution of the GTV?

I'm just looking for friendly debate, so please keep it civil... ;)

Last edited:

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
150+ views and nobody has any thoughts on these questions? lol...ok, fair enough, was worth a shot.

Last edited:

atoktoto

Jan 8, 2012
I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

But still.. I think I will buy it.

Reactions: paleh0rse

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com
I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

Without a real gpu? The ouya has a twelve core tegra 3 gpu with quad core cpu, one of the best you can get, how is that not a real gpu?

It is not aimed at hardcore gamers as it can't beat a ps3 but it can attract casual gamers and even general gamers.

It can handle all the current top android games at max quality settings which is just fine for a lot of people and the ouya can be a multimedia device too so should be fun and useful too.

By your reasoning about casual gaming the wii shouldn't have sold well but it did, I don't think it will be a mass hit but it will do ok at least.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editions/CAownKXmAQ/bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2

Halmo

Oct 3, 2010
Waterloo
Without a real gpu? The ouya has a twelve core tegra 3 gpu with quad core cpu, one of the best you can get, how is that not a real gpu?

It is not aimed at hardcore gamers as it can't beat a ps3 but it can attract casual gamers and even general gamers.

It can handle all the current top android games at max quality settings which is just fine for a lot of people and the ouya can be a multimedia device too so should be fun and useful too.

By your reasoning about casual gaming the wii shouldn't have sold well but it did, I don't think it will be a mass hit but it will do ok at least.

Dave

I hope you are referring to mobile device gpus/cpus because they are nowhere near the best you can get in desktops or even laptops or that matter.

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com
I hope you are referring to mobile device gpus/cpus because they are nowhere near the best you can get in desktops or even laptops or that matter.

Of course, I was referring to mobile gpu's and pointing out that this could easily handle the highest quality android games.

I should have been more clear on that but thought as the discussion was about android that people would realise I meant gpu's that android works with.

Dave

dj_techwiz

Jul 4, 2012
Lyons
I think it all really has to depend on the support of developers that are willing to make develop for that hardware. But i understand where you are coming from.

OniV2

Jan 14, 2012
Of course, I was referring to mobile gpu's and pointing out that this could easily handle the highest quality android games.

I should have been more clear on that but thought as the discussion was about android that people would realise I meant gpu's that android works with.

Dave

But won't the Ouya be trying to compete with the likes of other home consoles? Because if it is, it is considerably underpowered compared to them.

First, I was an earlier KS backer.

Those who have order one by now, release this is not meant necessarily to complete with an Xbox or Playstation. They're going after a slightly different gaming market.

The problem I see with Ouya is that it can be a bit of redundant machine. What does it do that can't be done with a decent smartphone? You may need a rooted phone, but one can hook up a controller, connect to a TV. It's more the mobile game developers adding in controller support. That said, talk about annoying trying up your phone to play games. Having to hook up the phone to the TV every time.

But I think it could be a nice entry point for small game developers to get into the livingroom. New developers to try to get into the market without going broke or closing the doors if a game fails. Allow gamer to fiddle with their consoles.

On the positive side, if the Wii can find success, maybe there is a room for something like the Ouya too. The Wii showed, if it's fun to play, a cheap machine can make it.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

Plus with announcement it's going to be sold a Target, Bestbuy, Amazon and a few other stores, will help with getting numbers sold, which can help bring some of the bigger game developers to the platform.

Reactions: twanskys204

nessonic

Oct 9, 2011
I'm excited for the OUYA, but not for reasons they'd probably like. I'll be getting one later down the line, once someone slaps new firmware out there for it. I really don't like the idea of them trying to push their own version of a marketplace and basically building on top of Android for their own purposes. I get it, but I don't feel it's necessary and splintering Android further than it already is needs to stop.

In short, my idea is to see how this device would fare for an AIO media center. It'll hook up to a TV just fine already, it runs Android, and it has its own controller! So once it's running stock (and by stock I inherently mean CM), I'll have a media center PC essentially ready to go- I've got everything already hosted on a NAS so as long as it's on the network, bam.

I checked that link for basically Google's version of a game center, but that date was about a year ago- I think Google's a bit busy with KLP and I/O coming up. Then again they're a secretive company, but I don't think a game device could top up there with their big bombs they'll be dropping - that being Glass and KLP.

edit: Oh, and this may go towards a second device or supercede my media center plans- but I've been toying with the idea of Android as a desktop ever since 4.2 came out with multiple users. I think with OUYA it could be manageably done, or at least to the point where it could be a fun little hobby project to see what limitations I run into.

Last edited:

atishpatel2012

Jan 23, 2013
I don't think it can keep up with the graphics needed...i mean they might as well have marketed a universal market controller with the ability to miracast your phone. the device has Tegra 3, but Tegra 4 just came out. MY real question is why buy a phone and then buy another device to play games on when it has same specs...i'd rather just use my phone and stream it (with controller)...
other devices like ps3/xbox/ps4 are actually powerful. Unless a really cheap device like this is backed by nice hardware like Nvidia's Grid. It really isn't too useful. of course, this is all in my opinion. :)
Kinda reminds me of Ubuntu phone's concept. However, the phone's specs aren't up to do everything you'd want to so i guess the Ubuntu phone/desktop thing could be handy for average users that don't need super powerful pcs.

Last edited:

AFAinHD

Mar 25, 2011
Fenton, Missouri
afainhd.3owl.com

Dave

The fact is is that they are calling it a gaming colsole. Well its not. Not without a proper gpu. 12 cores is nothing. My Radeon 7770 in my computer has over 400 cores. Also the one in the xbox has over 100 cores I think. It is not a gaming console without a powerful gpu. Its just an android emulator. Thats it.

nessonic

Oct 9, 2011
The fact is is that they are calling it a gaming colsole. Well its not. Not without a proper gpu. 12 cores is nothing. My Radeon 7770 in my computer has over 400 cores. Also the one in the xbox has over 100 cores I think. It is not a gaming console without a powerful gpu. Its just an android emulator. Thats it.

Eh, now we're getting into the territory of whether or not graphics make a "game." While I'll take up my torches against Farmville any day, I've delve my fair share into text-only based games (to really go on the opposite spectrum of "graphics" here).

OniV2

Jan 14, 2012
Eh, now we're getting into the territory of whether or not graphics make a "game." While I'll take up my torches against Farmville any day, I've delve my fair share into text-only based games (to really go on the opposite spectrum of "graphics" here).

Oh, so the Ouya will be competing with the likes of the Atari Flashback? That makes sense.

Justray

Mar 9, 2009
GDL - Xalixco - México
When I first saw the Ouya and all the info I admit was very happy yet very sad, sad indeed... happy for thoose pioneers and innovation at finest, daredevils! but the device is doomed to die from day 1, why? here:

GameStick.jpg

Smallest game console in the world, doesnt need AC (draws from internal battery), that "stick" plugs directly into the HDMI, yeah, THATS the console, closer specs compared to ouya, second version may kill the ouya (in terms of graphics), also a lot more portable plus you can use the controller with any bluetooth device (pc, tablet, phone). Did I mention cheap? ($100 or so dollars)

Now to the not so expensive side ($150 or so US dollars), again ouya killer... :crying:

s7300.JPG

Emulates from nes*, Snes, Gba and neogeo to PSone* and N64*, PSP emulator is getting better and better. PSone.. yeah, you got 2 analog sticks, d-pad, 4 frontal buttons, select and start buttons in the side, R1, L1, R2 and L2 buttons! yeah 4 freaking shoulder buttons!!! holy sh!t ( :D reason I'm buying this), stereo speakers, and HDMI! gaming on the big screen!! 1080p video playback, and mapping buttons (this means you can map the fisical buttons to the on-screen ones, so you can play ANY game on the market... maybe not angry birds... but you don't want this device to play anrgy birds :silly:).
These JXD guys had done a lot of tablets, gaming tablets and psp wannabes, so their expertise paid with this one.
*emulators included

Lastly both of them already on sale!

I already ordered mine :victory: but I live in Mexico... so will take some time :( but yeah, ouya is doomed.

Official site with specs and more pictures
Bought it here

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

I think it all really has to depend on the support of developers that are willing to make develop for that hardware. But i understand where you are coming from.

Indeed, its no use if developers dont add support for the controller, and 70% games in android use touch screen, so, bumpy road ahead.

Last edited:

OniV2

Jan 14, 2012
And with people making snide, smartass comments with no real backing (or point beyond insulting a product) behind them... This conversation just lost any point and validity.

Well, if you're honestly going to bring up 'games aren't about the graphics' when we're talking about a home console (throwing in a comment about text-based games) meant to compete with the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U, then yes - you're going to met with snide comments. The GPU's capabilities translate more to being actually able to play the games, and that has little to do with the visual representation.

The Ouya won't be a worthwhile investment at its price. Honestly, it won't. The above two options, especially the latter Wii U gamepad rip off, seem to be a much better choice.

Valve's 'Steam Box' and other equivalents will likely catch the audience the Ouya is trying to get.

Reactions: sidthegreatest

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've already got a Viewsonic G Tablet set up upstairs as a media center with HBO Go and Netflix, I dump 720p movies on the microsd card and have all my NES, SNES, Master System and Genesis games on there.
    I love it.
    Problem is I hate moving the dock and cables every time I want to put it downstairs for the kids to play games or watch movies.
    I paid $350 total for my Gtab, dock and a Bluetooth game controller.
    A Roku box that only does video streaming is $100.
    Ouya is $99 and ships with a controller and is MEANT to connect to a tv!
    Hell yeah I'm getting one!
    I can leave my tablet upstairs, leave the little cube tucked away, and enjoy my movies, shows and games two different places without the fuss.

Look, I've got a pretty beefy PC I play my big boy games on like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim, and all the nieces and nephews don't care is its Super Mario World, NBA Jam, or the latest greatest console games, and honestly I prefer retro gaming most of the time myself anyways. I can't help it, I grew up on Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo and Sega. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.
    Graphics on mobile devices happen to be moving along fast, I've seen some Square RPGs and a few sports games that look on par to the PS2.
    Look, it's all fun and games anyways.
    If you like the concept, buy one, if you don't care for it, avoid it.

It seems interesting and I do want to have one but I kinda want to see what games it gets first before buying, if it doesn't have anything that'll interest me then it would be a waste.
    First, I was an earlier KS backer.

Those who have order one by now, release this is not meant necessarily to complete with an Xbox or Playstation. They're going after a slightly different gaming market.

The problem I see with Ouya is that it can be a bit of redundant machine. What does it do that can't be done with a decent smartphone? You may need a rooted phone, but one can hook up a controller, connect to a TV. It's more the mobile game developers adding in controller support. That said, talk about annoying trying up your phone to play games. Having to hook up the phone to the TV every time.

But I think it could be a nice entry point for small game developers to get into the livingroom. New developers to try to get into the market without going broke or closing the doors if a game fails. Allow gamer to fiddle with their consoles.

On the positive side, if the Wii can find success, maybe there is a room for something like the Ouya too. The Wii showed, if it's fun to play, a cheap machine can make it.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

Plus with announcement it's going to be sold a Target, Bestbuy, Amazon and a few other stores, will help with getting numbers sold, which can help bring some of the bigger game developers to the platform.
    I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb(usb hubs do work to expand, I've tested with USB storage, keyboard, mouse, SNES usb controller, all worked on 1 hub expansion), ethernet, built in wifi/bluetooth, you can do basically what most tablets/phones do but tie that into a home-user experience.

I wanted to be able to watch my collection of movies and TV shows over DLNA or UPNP. (Tested with XBMC, works good, need to do the DTS ffmpeg custom audio codec setup with XMBC)

I wanted to be able to play classic SNES, NES, Sega, N64 games on a big TV. (Already have 800+ SNES, 2k+ Nes, 100+ N64, 500+ Sega. Only SNES has been tested to work great with SNES9X emu)

I want to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll on this thing too, but some of those apps have been said they were making Ouya verisons. (Netflix and Crunchyroll work with just plain sideloading, not optimized for TV tho, like UI wise, videos look fine tho. YouTube needs google service framework to work and I can't get it working correctly. I'm an novice when it comes to identifying logcat error.)

If you guys haven't noticed, this forum is pretty dead or very low discussion about games and other development, but at http://ouyaforum.com/forum.php , there are some pretty amazing games people are making and much more discussion about the console. I think XDA won't play an factor until we can secure an safe flash recovery(soonish) and we need kernel source to be able to make more customized ROMS.