[Guide] Enabling Google Now Cards manually/force-fully

Search This thread

nar7esh

Jul 22, 2012
Colombo
Dear Nexus 5 Users,

I was trying to use Google Now Cards here in Sri Lanka, but I could not enable or even the option did not showed up.:confused::confused:

Then, I tried to push an old update of Google Search and then updated via the Play Store, IT WORKED.:):):)

Please do the following if you have problems with Google Now Cards.

Disclaimer - I am not responsible for lags, bricks or any sort of bad happened to your device.

1. Unlock Bootloader and Root your device. Follow THIS link.

2. Install Titanium Backup. Here is the Playstore Link -> Titanium Backup

3. Download an older version of Google Search app. I prefer downloading 2.6.7 update. Here is the Link -> Google Search 2.6.7, store it into phone sdcard, later we will be using it.

Now do this patiently.

4. Install a 3rd party launcher and make as the default one. I prefer the Epic Launcher which goes close to the stock. Playstore Link -> Epic Launcher

5. Go to Titanium Backup App and search for Google Search app. The update should be 3.1.xx.. Take a Titanium backup of that app and Un-install it.

6. After uninstalling, install the Google Search 2.6.7 update which is on your sdcard. [Step 3]

7. Now go to Playstore and Search for Google Search and update it.

That's it. After updating your left swipe Google Now will be enabled.

Check the screenshot Ive attached which has the Google Now On/Off toggle, with default I did not have that option, after doing this process it appeared.

Cheers :):good::good:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-26-10-46-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-26-10-46-56.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 2,410

rames

Mar 15, 2010
Tbilisi
Alternate method, without rooting phone

1. Remove sim card and turn airplane mode;

2. Download free fake GPS Application
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps

3. Choose the position where Google now is supported. Example New York, and touch Set Location, You must allow mock locations in developers section;

4. Settings .. Wifi .. Touch&Hold on SSID you are connected .. Advanced Settings .. Proxy Manual Mode .. Enter Proxy Server IP Address and Port (For proxy servers address, google it, or pm).

5. Reboot phone;

6. Touch Google Search Bar .. Settings .. Accounts & privacy .. Google Account .. Sign Out;

7. Disable Google Play Service application. Before you need uninstall update and disconnect Android Device Manager.

8. Touch Google Search Bar .. Settings .. Accounts & privacy .. Google Account .. Choose your gmail address; Agree with prompt, touch "I'am In". Activate Google Play Service application

Congratulations, now you have Google Now service activated. If you turn it off, then you need same procedures again.

9. You can remove Proxy servers address from Wifi settings, disable mock locations also and uninstall fake gps app if you want.

Many thanks to RaouF Ouacher from google groups forum. for provided such information. Sorry for my English.

Last edited:

Maltadav

Aug 12, 2010
Dear Nexus 5 Users,

I was trying to use Google Now Cards here in Sri Lanka, but I could not enable or even the option did not showed up.:confused::confused:

Then, I tried to push an old update of Google Search and then updated via the Play Store, IT WORKED.:):):)

Disclaimer - I am not responsible for lags, bricks or any sort of bad happened to your device.

3. Download an older version of Google Search app. I prefer downloading 2.6.7 update. Here is the Link -> Google Search 2.6.7, store it into phone sdcard, later we will be using it.

Now do this patiently.

4. Install a 3rd party launcher and make as the default one. I prefer the Epic Launcher which goes close to the stock. Playstore Link -> Epic Launcher

5. Go to Titanium Backup App and search for Google Search app. The update should be 3.1.xx.. Take a Titanium backup of that app and Un-install it.

6. After uninstalling, install the Google Search 2.6.7 update which is on your sdcard. [Step 3]

Check the screenshot Ive attached which has the Google Now On/Off toggle, with default I did not have that option, after doing this process it appeared.

Sadly it did not work either but I'm on an S3... Google now cards are no longer showing up no matter what I do. Maybe I'll try the GPS spoof trick.

Reactions: bg15407
Mar 24, 2013
You don't need root/ or to spoof GPS for this. (GPS spoofing doesn't affect location information anyway)

You need an internet connection for this Wifi/ or mobile internet.

Step 1: Disable Google Play Services (you'll have to uninstall updates first to see the disable button on some devices)
Step 2: goto Settings > Account > Google > Search and Logout and then Log back in. (It will ask you to turn on now cards here > select Yes)
Google now should be enabled now.

Step 3: enable Google Play Services

Tested on Nexus 5, Moto G, Galaxy S4

NOTE: If you have a message saying "there was a problem communicating with google servers" you'll have to clear app data and cache of your google search. THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR HOME SCREEN TO GO BACK TO DEFAULT if you're using GEL (i.e. NEXUS5)

This has been now checked by multiple people and is 100% working

Last edited:

pchtc

Sep 13, 2007
Ottawa
You don't need root/ or to spoof GPS for this. (GPS spoofing doesn't affect location information anyway)

Step 1: Disable Google Play Services (you'll have to uninstall updates first to see the disable button on some devices)
Step 2: goto Settings > Account > Google > Search and Logout and then Log back in. (It will ask you to turn on now cards here > select Yes)

NOTE: If you have a message saying "there was a problem communicating with google servers" you'll have to clear app data and cache of your google search. THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR HOME SCREEN TO GO BACK TO DEFAULT if you're using GEL (i.e. NEXUS5)

nexus 5 here
just performed this 2x
still have no shipping cards or option to enable

شیرخدا

Oct 10, 2010
Thanks to the OP, this method still works if anyone was wondering but it seems that you need to use the Google search app mentioned in the post or older as I used 2.7.. that I had backed up previously but it still didn't allow me to enable Google Now due to my location. Also it doesn't have to be a nexus 5, I've just enabled it on a nexus 7 so it might work on any device

eirh

Sep 2, 2010
eir3.com

Not working on my Nexus 5. Any ideas why? I would like to fix this and prove the 100% statement as correct, but at this moment it's not.

Mar 24, 2013
Not working on my Nexus 5. Any ideas why? I would like to fix this and prove the 100% statement as correct, but at this moment it's not.

Did you disable Google play services?
Are you getting a network error message when trying to dig back in to search? I'll need more info about what exactly you did and what happened.

eirh

Sep 2, 2010
eir3.com
Did you disable Google play services?
Are you getting a network error message when trying to dig back in to search? I'll need more info about what exactly you did and what happened.

Yes, I did disable Google Play services. I got the network error message, so I deleted the Google Search app data and cache too.

What happens is that no matter how many times I try to log-out and log-in with my account (in the Google Search settings) afterwards, I am not asked to enable Google Now, so it's not available for me. The switch to enable Google Now in the Search settings does not exist.

I assume at least part of my problem is due to the Location services, they cannot be enabled where I live... Is there any workaround for this? Or if the problem is somewhere else, could someone point out - where exactly?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2013
Yes, I did disable Google Play services. I got the network error message, so I deleted the Google Search app data and cache too.

What happens is that no matter how many times I try to log-out and log-in with my account (in the Google Search settings) afterwards, I am not asked to enable Google Now, so it's not available for me. The switch to enable Google Now in the Search settings does not exist.

I assume at least part of my problem is due to the Location services, they cannot be enabled where I live... Is there any workaround for this? Or if the problem is somewhere else, could someone point out - where exactly?

Thanks!

Yeah this is the only work around for the play services location not available. When play services is disabled Google search can't check your location so that's why this works.

However there was an update to Google search 2 says ago so I haven't tested this after that. :(

eirh

Sep 2, 2010
eir3.com
Yeah this is the only work around for the play services location not available. When play services is disabled Google search can't check your location so that's why this works.

However there was an update to Google search 2 says ago so I haven't tested this after that. :(

Thanks for your help anyway. I also uninstalled all updates to Google Search, but without success...

eirh

Sep 2, 2010
eir3.com
Hey, you know how I got it working? I went abroad, to a country that obviously supports the location logging, and the option to activate Google Now, appeared :) Luckily it didn't disappear when I returned home. I hope that Google don't "fix" this bug.

screwhead89

Sep 5, 2008
Thanks... managed to get the cards enabled following this..

The only difference is that I had to enable the cards prior to updating back to Search 3.x... otherwise it did not give me the option to enable Google Now after!

drsandeshdahal

Jul 14, 2012
kathmandu
thanks buddy

Dear Nexus 5 Users,

Now do this patiently.

thanks very much buddy..........thanks a ton, worked perfect.

SokRatha

Jun 8, 2006
Anyway have idea if my Google Play Service is not able to disable?

I go to Setting -> App -> Google Play Service, both the "Uninstall Update" and "Disable" button is disable.

I dont want to root my device.

Regards,

SokRatha

Jun 8, 2006
Yes, this method don't need root, I mean I don't want to try other method that need root.

And what you have mentioned is my question, it's about ways to disable "Google Play Service".

I can't do it because the option to disable it is not enable.

This method doesn't need root. Just check how to disable that for your phone model.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Yes, this method don't need root, I mean I don't want to try other method that need root.

And what you have mentioned is my question, it's about ways to disable "Google Play Service".

I can't do it because the option to disable it is not enable.

Google Play Services is many different things. It's location services, auto syncs etc.

I don't think you would want to completely disable it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alternate method, without rooting phone

1. Remove sim card and turn airplane mode;

2. Download free fake GPS Application
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps

3. Choose the position where Google now is supported. Example New York, and touch Set Location, You must allow mock locations in developers section;

4. Settings .. Wifi .. Touch&Hold on SSID you are connected .. Advanced Settings .. Proxy Manual Mode .. Enter Proxy Server IP Address and Port (For proxy servers address, google it, or pm).

5. Reboot phone;

6. Touch Google Search Bar .. Settings .. Accounts & privacy .. Google Account .. Sign Out;

7. Disable Google Play Service application. Before you need uninstall update and disconnect Android Device Manager.

8. Touch Google Search Bar .. Settings .. Accounts & privacy .. Google Account .. Choose your gmail address; Agree with prompt, touch "I'am In". Activate Google Play Service application

Congratulations, now you have Google Now service activated. If you turn it off, then you need same procedures again.

9. You can remove Proxy servers address from Wifi settings, disable mock locations also and uninstall fake gps app if you want.

Many thanks to RaouF Ouacher from google groups forum. for provided such information. Sorry for my English.

Dear Nexus 5 Users,

Now do this patiently.

Dear Nexus 5 Users,

Now do this patiently.

Sadly it did not work either but I'm on an S3... Google now cards are no longer showing up no matter what I do. Maybe I'll try the GPS spoof trick.
    Hey Ok now that we have Android Lollipop, will this method still work to activate Google Now cards??

No but this method works

http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/root-how-to-enable-google-android-5-0-t2927591