Which is the best app for scientists and engineers to make research notes?

Which is the best app for scientists and engineers to make research notes?

• Total voters
Search This thread

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
electronically and/or printable ones. I not only write but also draw.

One choice for each person.

You are welcome to offer other solutions.

Please provide reasons. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry the last choice should be "Hancom Office's Hword 2014". I cannot edit the poll options.

Last edited:
Triple vote for Papyrus from this end. One from a doctor, one from a biochemist and one from an astrophysicist. (None of those are me. And yes, it does sound like the start of a bad joke.)

It has a write and draw option, and you can export as PDF, PNG and Jpeg. (PDF for easy printing and importing to other apps). All work offline, which is preferable over how some apps require an internet connection. You can also import PDFs and write on those, as well as insert pictures and write on them.. (convenient for diagrams and scanned documents.)

Last edited:
Reactions: petercohen

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
Triple vote for Papyrus from this end. One from a doctor, one from a biochemist and one from an astrophysicist. (None of those are me. And yes, it does sound like the start of a bad joke.)

It has a write and draw option, and you can export as PDF, PNG and Jpeg. (PDF for easy printing and importing to other apps). All work offline, which is preferable over how some apps require an internet connection. You can also import PDFs and write on those, as well as insert pictures and write on them.. (convenient for diagrams and scanned documents.)

Is there a handwriting to typed text function? I can't find it myself.

Not to our knowledge.

But then, I pity any device that has to convert their intelligible gibberish into actual words. I've learned to read the unidentifiable scrawls every doctor and scientist seems to have for a handwriting, (It took three days, a highly inept police team, two shouting matches and a sulk of epic proportions before we figured out those scribbles were a shopping list rather than a death threat.(It happens.)) but no device can manage that with any chance of success.

Last edited:

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
As time passes, sometimes I cannot recognize my own writing. I am very happy with S-Note's ability to recognize it.

FreshlyBrewed

Mar 27, 2014
Biochemist here:

Papyrus is fantastic and works very smoothly, including all the sorting of notes. MyScript Notes Mobile, however, has a fantastically accurate handwriting to text function and you can convert to text on the fly or highlight and change it later. This is the one I use on a daily basis because my thesis will be a copy and paste dream. It doesn't like to flick through pages very quickly though which limits its use as a lab book and whilst you can create cloud backups, as well as manually export to cloud, you can't just make it sync with a folder at specific intervals.

I would agree with ShadowLea that Papyrus works best overall but that handwriting to text function in Notes Mobile is a killer feature for me.

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
Can you create a A4 page in MyScript Notes Mobile and then later print out the notes without lost of contents? According to their website, MyScript Notes can search converted text. How good it is in doing that? Can LectureNotes do a good job on this? As Papyrus does not convert text, I guess one cannot search text using this app.

One can modify the imported picture in S-Note but not in LectureNotes. How about MyScript Notes Mobile? Can it do a good job on this?

Is it possible to do a recording under MyScript Notes Mobile?

skyhigh73

Jan 5, 2014
Cairo
I have tried S-Note many times during conferences and/or meeting and it was so good.
I can make notes by typing and/or handwriting, insert pics and so many.
Papyrus seems good but I haven't tried it yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not to our knowledge.

But then, I pity any device that has to convert their intelligible gibberish into actual words. I've learned to read the unidentifiable scrawls every doctor and scientist seems to have for a handwriting, (It took three days, a highly inept police team, two shouting matches and a sulk of epic proportions before we figured out those scribbles were a shopping list rather than a death threat.(It happens.)) but no device can manage that with any chance of success.
    Biochemist here:

Papyrus is fantastic and works very smoothly, including all the sorting of notes. MyScript Notes Mobile, however, has a fantastically accurate handwriting to text function and you can convert to text on the fly or highlight and change it later. This is the one I use on a daily basis because my thesis will be a copy and paste dream. It doesn't like to flick through pages very quickly though which limits its use as a lab book and whilst you can create cloud backups, as well as manually export to cloud, you can't just make it sync with a folder at specific intervals.

I would agree with ShadowLea that Papyrus works best overall but that handwriting to text function in Notes Mobile is a killer feature for me.
    I have tried S-Note many times during conferences and/or meeting and it was so good.
    I can make notes by typing and/or handwriting, insert pics and so many.
    Papyrus seems good but I haven't tried it yet.