F2FS FOR EVITA ANY AOSP ROM

Search This thread

sandys1

Jun 4, 2010
@jrior001 any possibility you can update this thread with new setups for the new CM (with F2Fs baked in) and TWRP 8+. I know you are busy with the new OPO !

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
@jrior001 any possibility you can update this thread with new setups for the new CM (with F2Fs baked in) and TWRP 8+. I know you are busy with the new OPO !
I may be able to get some freshness out in a few days...CM guys are testing offmode charging graphics ATM and I'd like to hold off until that's ready before building new recovery.

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
I hope im not stepping on your toes or anything @jrior001 if so ill take it down but i updated the recovery and Kernel+fstab.zip for android L
here is the new updated files can vouch it works on candy5 haveint tried it on anything else
Thanks, now that the device stuff all seems about ironed out for cm12 I can updated these side projects a little.

The previous recovery should work fine for a while, at least until all the kinks for LP based recoveries settle down.

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
hey jrior001
i have a question about TWRP.
suppose i backed up my data back when i was on ext4.
then i reformatted /data as f2fs
next i want to restore data from backup. but the first thing that TWRP does is reformat it back to ext4.
could you disable this functionality, at least temporarily, so that we can safely move to f2fs without losing data?

thanks!
--pavel

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
i have fixed fstab.qcom in the original zip. now it boots properly and i was able to change my cache to F2FS and boot to my old system.
please fix in OP :)

however, we still need TWRP to restore data properly so we can switch from EXT to F2FS smoothly without losing data.

Attachments

• evita_F2FS_conversion_v2.0_pav.zip
    229.5 KB · Views: 14

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
i have fixed fstab.qcom in the original zip. now it boots properly and i was able to change my cache to F2FS and boot to my old system.
please fix in OP :)

however, we still need TWRP to restore data properly so we can switch from EXT to F2FS smoothly without losing data.
Edited: I take it all back, looks like mine was busted...I'll clean it up tonight, it's way to early on a Monday for this.

Last edited:

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
hey jrior001
i have a question about TWRP.
suppose i backed up my data back when i was on ext4.
then i reformatted /data as f2fs
next i want to restore data from backup. but the first thing that TWRP does is reformat it back to ext4.
could you disable this functionality, at least temporarily, so that we can safely move to f2fs without losing data?

thanks!
--pavel
I don't think this is possible, a clean slate to start from is part of the deal. There's plenty of ways to back things up so you don't lose games/texts and all that.

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
I don't think this is possible, a clean slate to start from is part of the deal. There's plenty of ways to back things up so you don't lose games/texts and all that.
i'm pretty sure it's possible: i saw someone on another forum posting a step-by-step guide to convert an existing system to F2FS, and it involved backing up in TWRP, formatting data as F2FS and restoring.
anyways, i already backed up with titanuim and went fully F2FS. surprisingly enough, i didn't get much improvement over my old system. boo :(

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
i'm pretty sure it's possible: i saw someone on another forum posting a step-by-step guide to convert an existing system to F2FS, and it involved backing up in TWRP, formatting data as F2FS and restoring.
anyways, i already backed up with titanuim and went fully F2FS. surprisingly enough, i didn't get much improvement over my old system. boo :(
Funny you mention that..for all the hype f2fs gets and for me all the time I put into putting all this together and functional and as user friendly as possible, it really hasn't lived up to the hype.

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
Funny you mention that..for all the hype f2fs gets and for me all the time I put into putting all this together and functional and as user friendly as possible, it really hasn't lived up to the hype.
for me neither. very disappointing. unstable and almost no improvement.
interesting, i ran the same tests that the others did (and got like x300 better timings for random writes) and got almost nothing...
could it be that we're missing something in the implementation?

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
thanks man.
too bad it's so unstable. now that I'm back on EXT4, i see that there was some minor improvement after all. i'd stick to F2FS if it would be stable...

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
thanks man.
too bad it's so unstable. now that I'm back on EXT4, i see that there was some minor improvement after all. i'd stick to F2FS if it would be stable...
There are tons of updated f2fs code I need bring in since I originally did all this. 100+ at least commits to bring us up to speed with current mainline Linux kernel. I'm hoping this will help with performance/stability but its gonna take some time to pull it all in.

Reactions: thelonewolf_pav

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
cool I'll wait :)
are you planning to add MPD? it's a very handy feature when it comes to battery saving
thanks for all your efforts!

BTW, I came up with a procedure to switch to f2fs and back without losing data. funny how easy it was when i finally found it :) you can see in my thread if you're interested.

and if we're already talking about f2fs -- when your version of TWRP formats partitions for f2fs, does it take into account the block size of our flash? i hear that making block size equal to media size improves speed tremendously.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    F2FS FOR EVITA ANY AOSP ROM

F2FS for EVITA
    AOSP only!
    Current CM or most any of our AOSP ROMs around here that use a current CM based kernel.

THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL AND HAS POTENTIAL FOR DATA LOSS IF DONE IMPROPERLY. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT. I CANNOT BE AVAILABLE FOR 24/7 SUPPORT ON THIS.

These mods will provide the ability to format /data and /cache in F2FS format instead of EXT4. Use extreme caution. The will erase your entire /data partition just like a clean flash. I cannot and will not be held responsible for your failure to keep backups handy. F2FS is still considered experimental by Samsung and should be by you the user as well.

What is F2FS?
    F2FS wiki

Why F2FS?
    F2FS put to the test vs EXT4

How to switch?
    PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. IF NOT FOLLOWED YOU WILL LIKELY BOOTLOOP!!

F2FS capable TWRP Recovery 2.7.1.0 KK version
    F2FS capable TWRP Recovery 2.8.5.0 KK versionThis is the same as the current official TWRP built with the added F2FS support commits. When wiping a partition you will have the option to reformat in F2FS now as well.

Kernel+fstab conversion zip Flash this after converting partitions to F2FS to install a CM kernel with F2FS support built in. This zip uses an anykernel installer so it should be comparable with most current ROMS. The zip will extract your current boot.img, unpack and replace your current fstab with a new fstab to indicate you current partition types, replace kernel with F2FS capable kernel , then repack and replace the boot.img

Fstab conversion zip For use only when you are already running a F2FS kernel and only need to update fstab after switching to/from F2FS/EXT4. This installer will only unpack, edit the fstab, and repack the boot.img. This will not replace the kernel, you must already be using an F2FS kernel or be returning to EXT4 only to make use of this zip.

DOWNLOADS NOW HOSTED @ CODEFI.RE
    http://downloads.codefi.re/jrior001/Evita-f2fs

Procedure for fresh conversion including new Rom flashing:
    1. Backup everthing you want to keep with titanium backup or whatever backup you choose.
    2. Fastboot flash the new recovery img.
    3. Run a twrp backup in case things get ugly!
    4. Flash new ROM now if desired.
    5. Still in recovery...Goto wipe -> hit Advanced wipe. Select data and hit change partition type. Convert to F2FS. Repeat for cache.
    6. Flash the Kernel+fstab conversion zip.
    7. Reboot and profit. Any partition app on market can confirm new format changes.

Procedure for nightly ROM updates after F2FS conversion:
    1. Flaah nightly
    2. Flash kernel+fstab conversion zip.

Procedure if you want to convert back and forth after initial conversion for testing purposes:
    1. Change formats of data/cache as desired (only ext4 and f2fs supported).
    2. Flash fstab conversion zip to update format types before attempting boot.

Code:
    CHANGELOG
    V1.0 - Initial release

V1.1 - added inline_data flag to F2FS mounts

V1.2 - updated to latest kernel/fstab as of 8/9

V2.0 - updated for cm-12.0

Source:
    Kernel: https://github.com/jrior001/android_kernel_htc_msm8960/tree/cm-11.0-f2fs
    Recovery tree: https://github.com/jrior001/twrp-htc-evita/tree/cm-12.0
    Fstab scripts: https://github.com/jrior001/f2fs_fstab_convert_script

Devs, feel free to use or modify any of this for your own work just give thanks to where it came from. It was not all my original work, I must give thanks to Metallice and a few other devs in the grouper forum whose scripts I adapted for my own work.

XDA:DevDB Information
    F2FS EVITA, Kernel for the AT&T HTC One X

Contributors
    jrior001
    Source Code: https://github.com/jrior001/f2fs_fstab_convert_script

Kernel Special Features: f2fs support

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.0
    Beta Release Date: 2014-07-08

Created 2014-07-09
    Last Updated 2015-02-26
    Links and Instructions are now up. As promised, F2FS support is now possible for /data and /cache on Evita. For now there is no support for converting /system to F2FS as most have said it does not show significant gains because there is far less writing to /system partition. Also, as of now the only way to support converting /system would require specific ROMs built specifically for F2FS on system. As I have done it here we remain flexible to flash any regular nightly and still enjoy the gains of F2FS on /data and /cache. Follow instructions carefully and enjoy.
    I may be able to get some freshness out in a few days...CM guys are testing offmode charging graphics ATM and I'd like to hold off until that's ready before building new recovery.
    Officially giving up on porting to sense. The fstab structure is a bit different and the modern recoveries will not flash the old sense roms. You could play recovery shuffle but I really just don't have the time to play the game.

Also I saw some new changes in latest CM nightlies that affected fstab. These may affect conversion. As these filter down to the other aosp ROMs, more issues will pop up. I'll try to get an update in soon.
    Could you please define "speeds"? Do you have any supportive data or is this just anecdotal?

Sent from my Evita

Torched F2FS is on the right in attached image. As you would say, read the thread - I've been posting benchmarks ;). I'm at work, didn't attach first try.