[BOOT] FIREFIREFIRE 1.2 - bootloader with recovery selection

Search This thread

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Audience poll time :

I can change the USB VID/PID in FIREFIREFIRE to the default for Android so you don't need any special parameters. I figure it would cut down on confusion and save a few keystrokes.

Is there any reason not to do this?

pyrostic

Jun 23, 2010
Chicago - Northwest Suburbs
Audience poll time :

I can change the USB VID/PID in FIREFIREFIRE to the default for Android so you don't need any special parameters. I figure it would cut down on confusion and save a few keystrokes.

Is there any reason not to do this?

Besides that TWRP is having a guide made based on your current version, then no. If you do can you explain the differences and how to install over the former?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Besides that TWRP is having a guide made based on your current version, then no. If you do can you explain the differences and how to install over the former?

And that's the only reason I thought I'd ask, not to buck convention. Even if the KF's convention isn't the norm for Android.

If I did a new version (edit: new version did), you'd just have to get into fastboot (idme bootmode for stock, boot time fastboot for FIREFIREFIRE 0.9), do "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin" then "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot". From then on, you go about your business but eliminate the "-i 0x1949" from any fastboot commands.

From what I understand, some of the previous problems with flashing recovery was due to the custom VID Amazon uses. This would fix that, at the cost of having to distinguish between stock and FIREFIREFIRE when using fastboot. I'd be using the Google VID of 0x18d1 since even the oldest fastboots will recognize it.

Last edited:

pyrostic

Jun 23, 2010
And that's the only reason I thought I'd ask, not to buck convention. Even if the KF's convention isn't the norm for Android.

If I did a new version (edit: new version did), you'd just have to get into fastboot (idme bootmode for stock, boot time fastboot for FIREFIREFIRE 0.9), do "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin" then "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot". From then on, you go about your business but eliminate the "-i 0x1949" from any fastboot commands.

From what I understand, some of the previous problems with flashing recovery was due to the custom VID Amazon uses. This would fix that, at the cost of having to distinguish between stock and FIREFIREFIRE when using fastboot. I'd be using the Google VID of 0x18d1 since even the oldest fastboots will recognize it.

I don't know a lot about fastboot. Honestly I learned most of it while testing TWRP. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Besides maybe it will cause people to upgrade their SDK from the cupcake build SDK. Lol

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
I don't know a lot about fastboot. Honestly I learned most of it while testing TWRP. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Besides maybe it will cause people to upgrade their SDK from the cupcake build SDK. Lol

Fastboot isn't part of the SDK, so people are getting their copies from who-knows-where. Using the Google VID assures maximum compatibility. Of course, to get this bootloader on a stock KF, you need a newer fastboot or you need to root and write to the mmcblk device under Android.

This affects all fastboot modes, not just the one during the delay.

MrBrady

Oct 26, 2010
Am I bricked?

I typed your command
Code:
adb shell idme bootmode 4002; adb shell reboot

Now I'm stuck at the Kindle Fire logo. Adb is not seeing the device and doesn't recognize the "Fastboot" command.

How do I fix this?

Thank you!

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Nothing is bricked here, dude. You're in fastboot mode. Fastboot is a separate program you need to download, not an adb command. Search xda and you'll find it.

Once you download fastboot, run these commands exactly:

fastboot -i 0x1949 oem bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

That will put things back to normal. I recommend waiting for the TWRP release to try again, since there will be better instructions for flashing both FIREFIREFIRE and TWRP.

MrBrady

Oct 26, 2010
Nothing is bricked here, dude. You're in fastboot mode. Fastboot is a separate program you need to download, not an adb command. Search xda and you'll find it.

Once you download fastboot, run these commands exactly:

fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

That will put things back to normal. I recommend waiting for the TWRP release to try again, since there will be better instructions for flashing both FIREFIREFIRE and TWRP.

Best advice yet, but still isn't working right.

When I type:
Code:
I get ... FAILED (remote failure) finished. total time: 0.005s

Also noticed when I unplug and replug the device, windows says it's not recognized and under Device Manager lists it as an Unknown Device.

chipg07

Oct 20, 2010
help

Same thing happened to me, stuck at kindle fire logo....

except when i try

fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000

I get <waiting on device>

Please help me....

riverzhou

Dec 2, 2006
Shanghai
put the u-boot.bin into /sdcard
and

dd if=/sdcard/u-boot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

That's ok.

firefirefire + twrp2.0 is perfect good .

pyrostic

Jun 23, 2010
Same thing happened to me, stuck at kindle fire logo....

except when i try

fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000

I get

Please help me....

Did you complete the steps using the uboot 1.0? If so it sounds like you are stuck in fastboot. Put the TWRP recovery image in the folder your FASTBOOT is in.

Make a command window on the folder of you platform tools folder.

Type "fastboot -i 0x1949 boot kindle-fire-recovery.img" (change kindle-fire-recovery.img text to whatever your TWRP image is named.)

Your kindle should boot into recovery (if not try the same as above BUT change the 0x1949 to 0x18d1)

Close your fastboot command window.

Open an adb shell window. Type (without quotes) :
"adb shell" enter
"idme bootmode 4000" enter
(you should see some text about a byte being offset)
"reboot"

Your kindle should reboot back into the ROM.

If you had the uboot installed at all it will remain. TWRP was not installed on your device however you can still follow instructions to install it in the main part of this forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a replacement bootloader so you can get into recovery with just the one power button. It's very simple to use, just turn on the Fire, and when the logo pops up press the power button.

FIREFIREFIRE also makes fastboot easy. For a few seconds on every boot, fastboot is enabled; no idme bootmode or special cable needed. The USB ID is changed to one that's supported by even the oldest fastboots. Unlike the stock, you do not need to use the "-i 0x1949" on every run of fastboot.

Now FIREFIREFIRE can fix your partition tables. "fastboot oem format" will overwrite the partition table with the stock table. You can use this to revert to factory partitioning if you have been messing with parted or the like, or can be used with the USB boot kit (Rekindle) to manually rebuild a totally bricked Fire. Running this command on 1.0 or earlier will fail.

Release notes:
    1.2 - MD5: a8c8d702606de8ab7e73b898de50b4b6 u-boot.bin
    • Merge in 6.2->6.2.1 changes: low battery charge safety shutdown, official offsets for NVRAM params
    • The power LED now tells you more stuff: dim slightly while in fastboot / ready to detect recovery button press, bright green again when the boot of standard OS starts, more orangey orange when recovery starts
    • Fix Amazon's broken LED code

1.1 - MD5: 7a4f1a2ff60b13a3534df318f99d813c u-boot.bin
    • Fixed the built-in partitioning to match the partition map on a stock KF
    • Removed USB PID version. Realized this would screw up Windows. VID:pID will always be 18d1:0100 from now on

• Fastboot USB VID switched to Google's VID. Once this is installed you don't need to use "-i 0x1949" on every fastboot command
    • USB PID reflects the version. 0x0100 is version 1.0, 0x0402 is 4.2, etc
    • New logo with "press power button for recovery" message at the bottom
    • Delays ~10 seconds if no button pressed, but pushing the button immediately goes into recovery
    • During the delay, you can connect with fastboot. Works under Linux, but the delay may be too short for Windows

Howto flash
    The TWRP installer flashes FFF 1.0 when it's run. For most purposes this is ok, but because TWRP has been orphaned, I can't recommend it as a way to get the latest. By the time you read this, KFU should support flashing FFF, and for Windows users is by far the easiest way.

Howto flash by hand
    • Get into fastboot mode somehow. Having and older FFF from the TWRP installer is a good start. Currently KFU or fbmode is the easiest
    • flash with "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin" (take out "-i 0x1949" if FFF is already installed)
    • disable fastboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000"
    • reboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot"

Howto backup EVERYTHING (on Linux):
    (not relevant in this post anymore, but good reference)
    • This will back up all partitions and the hidden NVRAM data. If you ever have to restore from scratch, you can get fastboot to write a new partition table and then fastboot in these backups
    • Need >8GB local free, and adb installed and able to get a shell.
    • Make a new directory to store the dump files and cd into it.
    • Make sure that your KF is running adb as root. As of 6.2.1 this requires running BurritoRoot, then "adb root" on your PC after it completes.
    • Then run in a terminal:
    Code:
    for F in `seq 1 12`; do adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p$F; done
    adb shell idme ? > nvram.txt

On a brand new KF, this backup will bzip2 down to ~300MB. Once you start writing to the flash, this will go up even if you delete files due to nonempty free blocks.

github is now up at https://github.com/pokey9000/kf_u-boot
    Yeah, a boring video of the "factory cable" method since the nvram boot mode is broke would be useful :p But awesome that it works.

There you go.
    Hey pokey9000,
    Is there a way to flash a new splash image to your bootloader with fastboot like we do with some other devices?
    Code:
    fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
    Id like to have a new image on boot if thats ok. :D
    11i08ip.png

You need to make a 600x1024 graphic in png, rotate it counterclockwise 90 degrees, then follow this guide to generate an Android compatible RLE. Then put the RLE into the source tree at board/omap4kc1/initlogo.rle and rebuild.

You have to leave a lot of flat color as gradients, photos, etc make the RLE too big to fit into u-boot.

Then you'll want to use the usb boot method to test u-boot without flashing, or risk bricking your Fire if you screw up.

FWIW, that looks almost like my original logo. The whole reason I called it FIREFIREFIRE is that the source doesn't ship with a logo (Amazon copyright or something) and when I made the dummy image to fill the void I just opened up GIMP and made a textbox with the first thing that popped in my head. Then it kind of stuck.
    *bump*

New FFF that can restore your partition table. See the OP
    nice. i hope u can make a tutorial...

I'm not sure there's much more for me to add beyond what pokey9000 has posted already.

make/convert your image
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21262416&postcount=126

get source code and build it
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21775177&postcount=151

test u-boot.bin with usbboot
    http://xdaforums.com/show...0&postcount=74

flash by hand directions in OP
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19837228&postcount=1

Post here if you get stuck and I'll try to help. Good luck!