[Q] Coming from Iphone - 2 questions

Search This thread

tdx

Apr 25, 2006
Hi everyone,

i just switched from an Iphone to the One X and i'm super happy with the hone, much better than the Iphone in most departments. There are only two things that bother me right now and i was wondering if there are solutions for them or at least upcoming software mods:

1. i have a great headset, the Sony XBA2-ip, with integrated Iphone controls, which I really want to keep. Right now I've gotten the play/pause button to work by downloading the headset button app. However the volume up/down buttons dont work and I cant seem to find a n app that will enable them. Is it impossible to make these buttons work?

2. The One X is a great phone for watching HD videos, esp. with Dice player. However I'm limited to 4GB file sizes when i transfer. I realize this is a limitation of the FAT32 formatting of the internal memory. What i wanted to ask was if there are ROM mods that allow to bypass that limit?

Thanks in advance.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
I don't know the head set your referring to, however try some different players like power amp, winamp and n7 player and see what results you get, failing that a mod could be created but specifically for your headset i'm guessing that it won't happen so I would guess that there isn't a way around it, unless theres an app to map buttons to controls from within the device, u might get lucky, google it.

Not too sure about the 4GB limit, personally i've never had to transfer something so big onto a phone, if it's one file then i can only assume it's HD content, what i would do is split the file into smaller chunks using video editing software at least until a work around is in place.

Welcome to android by the way, it is better by the way :) More freedom, something apple knows very little about.

Last edited:

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Also depends on the file systems that are natively supported by your PC's OS. Some custom ROMs will probably try try to format the internal storage into ext4 but it's not natively supported in Windows XP I think. By that I mean if you plug it into your pc, it won't recognize it as a USB Storage. I think Windows 7 supports ext4, but I think you need some driver updates or something. Ext4 has a much larger file size limit :D

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
I think PowerAMP is the most powerful one with lots of options and wouldn't be surprised to see it supporting those volume keys.
I'm wondering about 4GB limit too, hoping there is a workaround or maybe custom ROMs will solve it. Most of my files are 4-9GB in size.
But as long as I'm in range of my network, DicePlayer plays them brilliantly over the network, I use ES File Explorer to map my LAN drives.
For players that are not able to play from networked drives, the solution is to use CIFSManager which mounts networked drives as a local subfolder, fooling player apps into thinking they are playing local files. DicePlayer doesn't need that workaround.

tdx

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for all the info guys. I will try these solutions and will report what happens. Hopefully once custom ROMs start popping up many of these problems will be resolved, esp. the 4GB limit, it must something many users are struggling with...

feygor

May 11, 2009
Middlesbrough
just testing this theory but it should be possible to take the file that is bigger than 4GB, use a program such as winrar to split it into 2 or more files so that they are small enough for transfer, then use unrar from the play store to unpack them.

A long method, but a decent one when given the limitation of a fat filesystem.

Hopefully i'll confirm whether this works as soon as i've had chance to test it.

EDIT: I realise this won't work unless there is a media player that can play files straight from part-rars... don't know of any with this feature.

An alternative would be to split your video file into so many parts and just put them in a queue when watching.

Last edited:

tdx

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for the extra info.

FYI, I tried different music players (DBpwoeramp, Winamp) and headphone apps and none of them even see my volume buttons. I did some more reading on the forums and it seems no one has ever found a solution for this. it sucks cause my headphones are great...

On the 4GB file size front no dice yet but I remain more hopeful that it will be fixed once people start tinkering with the file system.

tdx

Apr 25, 2006
Hi everyone,

just wanted to update this tread to say i found a partial solution to the headset problem. I downloaded the free Jays app that controls headsets and mapped volume up/down to long keypresses of the main button. It's not perfect but at least i regain most of the missing functionality, and i dont have to change my headset (as i mentioned I really like the Sony headset).

Now if the ROM developers could find a solution to the 4GB limit (fingers crossed), I'd be all set.

Reactions: r0cafella

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

just wanted to update this tread to say i found a partial solution to the headset problem. I downloaded the free Jays app that controls headsets and mapped volume up/down to long keypresses of the main button. It's not perfect but at least i regain most of the missing functionality, and i dont have to change my headset (as i mentioned I really like the Sony headset).

Now if the ROM developers could find a solution to the 4GB limit (fingers crossed), I'd be all set.