Help me decide between the Galaxy Nexus and 4G LTE

Search This thread

patass

Feb 21, 2009
My upgrade is in october, but I'm fairly certain I could convince sprint to cut me some slack. Basically, for the past year or so I've used CM7 on my Evo. I like the full customization available in a stock rom. I'm sure CM9 will be available for both of the phones I'm considering at some point, but that will kill the sense features like the amazing new camera which I feel like I need (most of my photos are in doors in low light situations). The evo seems to have better specs over all, bigger screen, off screen buttons (positive), better screen, sexier more resilient built, and I could always use a custom launcher to get my customization on.

The main thing I think I'm missing with both phones are the quick widgets from CM7 - where you pull down the notification bar and there are some quick settings buttons. I really, really like and feel like I need that. Do either phones have that built in? I know the evo will last me longer and be the same price with upgrade. Any tips? Thanks.

Reactions: Teamscrooge

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Ice Cream Sandwich provides the quick widgets/settings I believe by default. So I think both phones will have that.

Can anyone verify that to be true? Unless that only works with pure ICS, in which case you should get the Nexus. I'm definitely going with the EVO though, those hardware specs are outstanding. And it is pretty sexy too.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

tropicalbrit

Mar 6, 2011
United States
If my memory serves me right, I do not believe that the Galaxy Nexus has Quick Settings enabled in the drop-down notification bar. Sense 4.0, it has ditched the Quick Settings thing too, unfortunately, according to screenshots I've seen.

------------------------------------------

Software:

Galaxy Nexus - Vanilla ICS.
LTEvo - ICS, Sense 4.0 - Sense 4.0 review here.

Winner: LTEvo. I do like the few tweaks that HTC has included with Sense 4.0 and it does not appear to be extremely heavy.

--------------------------------------------------

Build Quality:

Galaxy Nexus - Plastic. It feels a little awkward to hold in one hand and reach across the screen.
LTEvo - Black aluminum and plastic. Reviews say that it is "svelte" and fits well in the hand.

Winner: LTEvo. However, I do wish the whole body was aluminum with the Micro Arc Oxidation treatment (One S). Or at least the plastic was replaced with polycarbonate (One X). The Galaxy Nexus is a bit awkward in the hand and it's fully plastic.

-------------------------------------------------

Processor:

Galaxy Nexus - 1.2 GHz TI OMAP 4460 (dual-core, Cortex-A9, 45nm)
LTEvo - 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 "Krait" "S4" (dual-core, Cortex-A15, 28nm), integrated LTE

Winner: LTEvo. The Krait S4 chip is a beast from what I seen, and can handle anything thrown at it. Cortext-A15 and 28nm = less heat, less battery usage. The OMAP is simply aging.

Other Internals:

Galaxy Nexus - PowerVR SGX540 GPU, 1 GB RAM
LTEvo - Adreno 225 GPU, 1 GB RAM

Winner: LTEvo. The PowerVR the Nexus packs is aged (hint: it's the same one as the one in the OG Galaxy S). I do wish the LTEvo had the Adreno 320 GPU, but I'm sure the 225 can handle well.

-----------------------------------------------

Screen:

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65" Super Amoled Screen, PenTile, 720p resolution, 316 ppi (claimed), 200 ppi (realistic - PenTile)
LTEvo - 4.7" Super LCD 2 Screen, non-PenTile, 720p resolution, 312 ppi

Winner: LTEvo. Non-PenTile, larger screen? That 4.65" on the Galaxy Nexus includes the on-screen "softkeys" while the 4.7" on the LTEvo does not.

Storage:

Galaxy Nexus - 32 GB internal, no microSD slot
LTEvo - 16 GB internal, microSD slot

Winner: LTEvo. Expandable storage = win. Yes, you can use Dropbox and such, but that is online storage.

------------------------------------------------

Battery:

Galaxy Nexus - 1850 mAh, removable
LTEvo - 2000 mAh, non-removable

Winner: Galaxy Nexus. While the LTEvo has the larger battery, it is non-removable. :eek: While the Galaxy Nexus has a smaller battery, it is removable, giving you the option of an extended battery.

----------------------------------------------------

Camera:

Galaxy Nexus -
  • 5 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 24 fps, single flash
  • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @30 fps
LTEvo -
  • 8 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 30 fps, single flash, backside illumination, dedicated ImageChip
  • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @ ? fps

Winner: LTEvo. The Galaxy Nexus camera is obviously lacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmboulware

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
How much will the LTEvo cost and when is it available?

D

Deleted member 3109183

How do you plan on getting the early upgrade from sprint? I'm in the exact same boat as you and I'm itching to upgrade...

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

D

Deleted member 3109183

Buy up program, Depending on how far out from your upgrade you are and how your account standing is.

So you pay the $100 etf (assuming four months away from an upgrade) and then get a subsidy priced phone?

Xedroid

Aug 3, 2011
Ogden
The LTEVO is the better choice, IMO. Here's why:

• Screen - same resolution but Galaxy Nexus has AMOLED and LTEVO has SLCD2
  • CPU - Galaxy Nexus has an "old" TI 1.2; LTEVO has the new Snapdragon S4
  • Camera - Galaxy Nexus 5 MP and it sucks (read the many reviews around the web); HTC 8MP with dedicated processor is amazing
  • Storage - Galaxy Nexus does not support removable storage; LTEVO does (which is actually one of the few things it has from its cousin, the HTC ONE X).

To sum it all up, the Galaxy Nexus is an older phone. :p Get the LTEVO.

Award Tour

Aug 2, 2010
Brooklyn
I have/had a crap ton of phones. My favorite Android phones thus far have been the N1 and NS4G. Why? Because it was updated immediately, and even when it wasn't first in line, it still ran Custom ROMs very smoothly with everything working because of AOSP and more open drivers.

The NS4G was/is a old phone and I choose it over the GS2 (which I had sitting on my desk unused) as my main android phone. Hell, with ICS it was faster, but above all, it was always relevant. The GS2 was exciting for about 1-2 months and now its irrelevant. The One X / EVO LTE will be the same. Jellybean will be announced soon, the GN will be relevant and the excitement over the new shiny phones will die down and their communities will be "enjoying" half working ROMs.

Many won't agree with me but I'd never recommend anyone a non Nexus phone. Software is key, especially when we're running low demanding mobile apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have/had a crap ton of phones. My favorite Android phones thus far have been the N1 and NS4G. Why? Because it was updated immediately, and even when it wasn't first in line, it still ran Custom ROMs very smoothly with everything working because of AOSP and more open drivers.

The NS4G was/is a old phone and I choose it over the GS2 (which I had sitting on my desk unused) as my main android phone. Hell, with ICS it was faster, but above all, it was always relevant. The GS2 was exciting for about 1-2 months and now its irrelevant. The One X / EVO LTE will be the same. Jellybean will be announced soon, the GN will be relevant and the excitement over the new shiny phones will die down and their communities will be "enjoying" half working ROMs.

Many won't agree with me but I'd never recommend anyone a non Nexus phone. Software is key, especially when we're running low demanding mobile apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I'll go ahead and be the first to completely disagree there. I will always choose hardware over software when choosing a phone. I mean, look what the EVO 4G is now? My phone still outdoes almost every phone I see in the public. It isn't a Nexus, yet has phenomenal development, and these "half working" ROMs are superior to the actual Google releases in speed and battery life, so unless you are so camera dependent that you can't live with a temporary lack of camera usage, you're golden.

And as far as Jelly Bean, I anticipated that being a small upgrade anyway, like iPhone 4 to 4s. ICS is barely rolling out, no way JB makes a huge splash in quarter 4. And I'm sure our amazing devs who have made the longevity of this phone much higher than intended by HTC will do an equally incredible job on the LTE.

So no, I will take my EVO LTE over the dated Nexus. :) No offense, just my opinion.

Reactions: taadow1030

Award Tour

Aug 2, 2010
Brooklyn
Yeah I'll go ahead and be the first to completely disagree there. I will always choose hardware over software when choosing a phone. I mean, look what the EVO 4G is now? My phone still outdoes almost every phone I see in the public. It isn't a Nexus, yet has phenomenal development, and these "half working" ROMs are superior to the actual Google releases in speed and battery life, so unless you are so camera dependent that you can't live with a temporary lack of camera usage, you're golden.

And as far as Jelly Bean, I anticipated that being a small upgrade anyway, like iPhone 4 to 4s. ICS is barely rolling out, no way JB makes a huge splash in quarter 4. And I'm sure our amazing devs who have made the longevity of this phone much higher than intended by HTC will do an equally incredible job on the LTE.

So no, I will take my EVO LTE over the dated Nexus. :) No offense, just my opinion.

Huh. I have a old EVO 4G lying around. I loaded a ICS rom on it about 5 weeks ago out of curiosity. It ran like a absolute dog. Why? No GPU acceleration. The 4G always had a horrible GPU, even on day 1, but WP7 proved that it was capable of more. That said, the fault was in the software/drivers. A problem Nexus devices don't suffer as much from.

If we put the NS and EVO 4G side by side, it's a no contest. Hell, up until Sunday I choose the NS4G over my Epic 4G Touch. I have no doubt that I'll feel the same about the next super phone I buy on impulse (vs the GN). It just isn't worth it, he'll I buy new phones almost every 2-3 months and I still fall back to the Nexus. If my ATT N1 ran on Sprint (or If the iPhone never existed) my EVO would have stayed in the box way back when. If you own as many gadgets as I do you'd see the same.

Last edited:

Legendary20

Mar 10, 2011
Huh. I have a old EVO 4G lying around. I loaded a ICS rom on it about 5 weeks ago out of curiosity. It ran like a absolute dog. Why? No GPU acceleration. The 4G always had a horrible GPU, even on day 1, but WP7 proved that it was capable of more. That said, the fault was in the software/drivers. A problem Nexus devices don't suffer as much from.

If we put the NS and EVO 4G side by side, it's a no contest. Hell, up until Sunday I choose the NS4G over my Epic 4G Touch. I have no doubt that I'll feel the same about the next super phone I buy on impulse (vs the GN). It just isn't worth it, he'll I buy new phones almost every 2-3 months and I still fall back to the Nexus. If my ATT N1 ran on Sprint (or If the iPhone never existed) my EVO would have stayed in the box way back when. If you own as many gadgets as I do you'd see the same.

But that was 5 weeks ago.

If I was you I would go to the store and try both of them out and see which one you like best. I'm going for the EVO because I'm one of those Sense fans.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

And If they dont cut you any slack by October. I'll would wait until the next generation. The Nexus would probably be out in a month or two. Every manufacture flagship would be right around the corner.

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

My phone runs like a dog on steroids man. AOKP and Deck are doing AMAZING work. Not sure what you attempted. But two each his own. I've played with many phones, although not owned them, so I have some idea what's out there. I'll take my EVO 4G LTE for build quality, hardware, looks, camera, camera button, kickstand, etc. No competition for me. And honestly, Sense 4.0 looks quite nice. :)

Legendary20

Mar 10, 2011
Well, has it changed? Doubt it, but that's besides the point. The Nexus S was running a HW accelerated ICS build since the SDK port. The SDK port. That was a long, long time ago.

Of course its change. Its way faster and smoother than it was. Development is still very good for this phone. I do see what you saying with the developent of the Nexus devices. AOSP always will run better with a Nexus device and with google being open source its easier for devs or at least I would assume it is. If software isnt the biggest deal for him than the easy choice would be the EVO based on hardware alone. That should be expected for a phone launching 6 months later.

patass

Feb 21, 2009
I went with the nexus. Sprint gave me the upgrade and I'm paying 145 total

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I went with the nexus. Sprint gave me the upgrade and I'm paying 145 total

Thanks for the update! Anything in particular influence you to make that decision other than the price? I only ask since many will be making a similar decision now.

Also, first impressions of phone? I'm sure it's awesome, but anything other than that? :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XhausX said he's in on the Evo LTE. If any of you aren't familiar with him, he basically became the Evo 4gs toast after toast split (before toast split, actually). He fixed recoveries and wrote updated root tuts, etc. I'm only saying that having xhausx on your team puts you on a winning team. Very encouraging.

TEAM REVOLUTION will be supporting the Evo 4g LTE
    Popular dev Myn will be getting one also to develop roms
    i have a strong feeling Mik will be too, since he loves sense
    Virus might jump on board too

everything looks good for the evo 4g lte so far

i was this close to getting the galaxy nexus, im glad i didnt get it. i would take sense 4.0 over stock andoid anyday
    I guess I really don't know that I need to strip away Sense immediately. I've read many good things about 4.0 from people who hated Sense before. With an expensive, brand new device, I don't want to screw around anyway.

I'm not going to buy a phone that isn't to my standards - I'm buying a phone because I love how it runs as is. While people furiously search for ways to root, I'll enjoy the stock performance. Maybe a year later, when everything has been exploited and the development is flowing, I'll probably start rooting and exploring customizations again. Sure I'll miss flashing stuff, but I won't miss NEEDING to because I'm jealous of everyone else's phones (not until Jellybean, that is). I'm looking forward to a great camera, blazing fast processor, everything working, 4G (which is in my area right now), etc.

To me, if you're one who despises Sense, get the Nexus. If you can tolerate it a while, get the EVO. Simple. This idea the EVO will be outdated fast is silly. What do you want your phone to do? Massage you? It has a blazing fast OS, amazing hardware, and a camera that takes as good of pictures as is needed for a phone. If things get slightly faster or slightly more memory or slightly better in the camera department, who cares? You will still have a VERY capable phone which was the first to have a lot of features. I can't wait to buy mine, yet I feel like everyone suddenly thinks it sucks. I'm not letting people bring me down on it - that's a sweet phone at a sweet price and I'm pumped! :)
    HTC evo 4g LTe............No removable battery = FAIL ! ! ! ! !

WINNER = Iphone or any other phone

Yeah, that iPhone's removable battery really helps it win that battle... :rolleyes:
    If my memory serves me right, I do not believe that the Galaxy Nexus has Quick Settings enabled in the drop-down notification bar. Sense 4.0, it has ditched the Quick Settings thing too, unfortunately, according to screenshots I've seen.

------------------------------------------

Software:

Galaxy Nexus - Vanilla ICS.
    LTEvo - ICS, Sense 4.0 - Sense 4.0 review here.

Winner: LTEvo. I do like the few tweaks that HTC has included with Sense 4.0 and it does not appear to be extremely heavy.

Build Quality:

Galaxy Nexus - Plastic. It feels a little awkward to hold in one hand and reach across the screen.
    LTEvo - Black aluminum and plastic. Reviews say that it is "svelte" and fits well in the hand.

Winner: LTEvo. However, I do wish the whole body was aluminum with the Micro Arc Oxidation treatment (One S). Or at least the plastic was replaced with polycarbonate (One X). The Galaxy Nexus is a bit awkward in the hand and it's fully plastic.

-------------------------------------------------

Processor:

Galaxy Nexus - 1.2 GHz TI OMAP 4460 (dual-core, Cortex-A9, 45nm)
    LTEvo - 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 "Krait" "S4" (dual-core, Cortex-A15, 28nm), integrated LTE

Winner: LTEvo. The Krait S4 chip is a beast from what I seen, and can handle anything thrown at it. Cortext-A15 and 28nm = less heat, less battery usage. The OMAP is simply aging.

Other Internals:

Galaxy Nexus - PowerVR SGX540 GPU, 1 GB RAM
    LTEvo - Adreno 225 GPU, 1 GB RAM

Winner: LTEvo. The PowerVR the Nexus packs is aged (hint: it's the same one as the one in the OG Galaxy S). I do wish the LTEvo had the Adreno 320 GPU, but I'm sure the 225 can handle well.

-----------------------------------------------

Screen:

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65" Super Amoled Screen, PenTile, 720p resolution, 316 ppi (claimed), 200 ppi (realistic - PenTile)
    LTEvo - 4.7" Super LCD 2 Screen, non-PenTile, 720p resolution, 312 ppi

Winner: LTEvo. Non-PenTile, larger screen? That 4.65" on the Galaxy Nexus includes the on-screen "softkeys" while the 4.7" on the LTEvo does not.

Storage:

Galaxy Nexus - 32 GB internal, no microSD slot
    LTEvo - 16 GB internal, microSD slot

Winner: LTEvo. Expandable storage = win. Yes, you can use Dropbox and such, but that is online storage.

------------------------------------------------

Battery:

Galaxy Nexus - 1850 mAh, removable
    LTEvo - 2000 mAh, non-removable

Winner: Galaxy Nexus. While the LTEvo has the larger battery, it is non-removable. :eek: While the Galaxy Nexus has a smaller battery, it is removable, giving you the option of an extended battery.

----------------------------------------------------

Camera:

Galaxy Nexus -
    • 5 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 24 fps, single flash
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @30 fps
    LTEvo -
    • 8 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 30 fps, single flash, backside illumination, dedicated ImageChip
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @ ? fps

Winner: LTEvo. The Galaxy Nexus camera is obviously lacking.