Initiate Google Search on the phone

Search This thread

thevaristy

Jun 15, 2010
If I were to pair a Galaxy Gear with a M8, could I initiate a google search on my phone by pressing something on the watch? Basically I want to somewhat recreate the Moto x's ability to receive commands without the phone being on, and without an active tethering connection which will kill the battery on both devices.

Thanks so much!

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
my gear is setup to use google voice search/goggles/translate so i can voice command it, ask it to translate etc. caveat is i have to be BT tethered the whole time (battery life impact - i can get 18 hours on moderate use). I have the google now launcher installed and toggle between that and Nova depending on mood

works really good - when i take a photo with my gear, goggles automatically tries to identify it, i can tell my watch to launch apps and ask queries like you normally would with google voice

current limitation i have is i cannot use the hot phrase 'ok google' to initiate voice. i have to press the search i con to get started - still on the hunt on how to activate with 'ok google'

If I were to pair a Galaxy Gear with a M8, could I initiate a google search on my phone by pressing something on the watch? Basically I want to somewhat recreate the Moto x's ability to receive commands without the phone being on, and without an active tethering connection which will kill the battery on both devices.

Thanks so much!

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
current limitation i have is i cannot use the hot phrase 'ok google' to initiate voice. i have to press the search i con to get started - still on the hunt on how to activate with 'ok google'

Humm, "ok google" should work if Google Now has been triggered and running. Usually, you can do a followup search with "ok google".

Keeping the microphone running would be a MAJOR battery killer. Dont believe me, try it on your phone and see how quick it drains. On the Gear, tethered, you would probably get about 4 or 5 hours.

Just not quite there yet with battery technology, but hey who knows, maybe Google's Android Wear has cracked this nut and figured out a better way to initiate speech recognition.

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
Humm, "ok google" should work if Google Now has been triggered and running. Usually, you can do a followup search with "ok google".

Keeping the microphone running would be a MAJOR battery killer. Dont believe me, try it on your phone and see how quick it drains. On the Gear, tethered, you would probably get about 4 or 5 hours.

Just not quite there yet with battery technology, but hey who knows, maybe Google's Android Wear has cracked this nut and figured out a better way to initiate speech recognition.

Agreed. On the phone there is typically a setting to set the hot phrase for google now, this setting does not show up in the gear :(

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

hawkjm73

Feb 16, 2009
I'm using offline recognition on my gear in conjunction with Tasker and AutoVoice. I have it launch background continuous recognition whenever the screen is on, then so it when the screen turns off. I also have two orientations that turn the screen of right away without waiting for the timeout. (the positions when I naturally rest my arm on a desk and when my hand hangs at my side.) So far, this hasn't had much effect on battery life.

I use a key word of "Galaxy" to let it know I want to forward a commend to my phone, which I do with M2D Manager. I've already got quite a set of voice controls on the phone, so no need to replicate them on the watch. Otherwise, it handles the command on the watch.

The net effect here, is I lift my arm in standard watch fashion, and say commands directly. It's functionality similar to having always on recognition.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm using offline recognition on my gear in conjunction with Tasker and AutoVoice. I have it launch background continuous recognition whenever the screen is on, then so it when the screen turns off. I also have two orientations that turn the screen of right away without waiting for the timeout. (the positions when I naturally rest my arm on a desk and when my hand hangs at my side.) So far, this hasn't had much effect on battery life.

I use a key word of "Galaxy" to let it know I want to forward a commend to my phone, which I do with M2D Manager. I've already got quite a set of voice controls on the phone, so no need to replicate them on the watch. Otherwise, it handles the command on the watch.

The net effect here, is I lift my arm in standard watch fashion, and say commands directly. It's functionality similar to having always on recognition.

@hawkjm73 Could you elaborate on how you have this setup exactly? This may be my answer to ditch trying to get this damn "Google Now Search" to work offline in handling voice commands such as call, ect... :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

thevaristy

Jun 15, 2010

THIS! This is exactly what I am looking for. Screen on, send voice commands to the phone. How is this done?

hawkjm73

Feb 16, 2009
Apologies for the delay in answering.

There are quite a few components working together here.

First and foremost: Null Rom. Without that, nothing else happens.

Second: offline voice recognition
This was pretty much taking all the language files from my phone and transplanting them to the watch, minding permissions.

Third: AutoVoice and Tasker
These are market apps and are fantastic for automation. You'll need them on both phone and watch. I'm using two profiles for this. The first turns on AutoVoice recognition in continuous mode whenever the screen turns on, and off when the screen goes off. The second profile is an AutoVoice recognize with "galaxy" as the command filter. It initiates an intent with the rest of what I say as a data payload.

Fourth: M2D manager
This is also available on the market, and needs to be on both devices. It is a Bluetooth bridge for Android intents. Tasker sends out an intent formed for M2D with the voice command as data. M2D transmitted it to the phone where it seems out a specified intent, still containing the command. Tasker listens for that intent. Once it had it, I use the AutoVoice test feature to send the command text in as if it had been spoken to the phone, so I can use all of my previously written voice control profiles. M2D also works the other way around, which I take advantage of for notifications and such.

Reactions: lazer9

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

This was pretty much taking all the language files from my phone and transplanting them to the watch, minding permissions.

These are market apps and are fantastic for automation. You'll need them on both phone and watch. I'm using two profiles for this. The first turns on AutoVoice recognition in continuous mode whenever the screen turns on, and off when the screen goes off. The second profile is an AutoVoice recognize with "galaxy" as the command filter. It initiates an intent with the rest of what I say as a data payload.

This is also available on the market, and needs to be on both devices. It is a Bluetooth bridge for Android intents. Tasker sends out an intent formed for M2D with the voice command as data. M2D transmitted it to the phone where it seems out a specified intent, still containing the command. Tasker listens for that intent. Once it had it, I use the AutoVoice test feature to send the command text in as if it had been spoken to the phone, so I can use all of my previously written voice control profiles. M2D also works the other way around, which I take advantage of for notifications and such.

Thanks! I can follow most of what you said, however, when it comes to tasker, I'm a bit challenged. Right now I do have Tasker on both watch & phone along with Taskgear. With the help of some others, I have a couple profiles set on each (visa-versa) to show the battery levels respectively per other device on a widget on each.

If you could kindly share your tasker setups, I think I could pull this off! :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS! This is exactly what I am looking for. Screen on, send voice commands to the phone. How is this done?

With a combination of Google Now Launcher and Offline voice recognition enabled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9OT1retpU&feature=youtu.be