[Q] Text Blocking

Search This thread

MountainMan73

Sep 23, 2013
So I've been googling and searching and having trouble nailing down the answer.

Friend of mine has the Galaxy S5 through Verizon
Keeps receiving texts from somebody that she doesn't want to receive texts from.

I've been trying to locate how to block the incoming text. On my S4 I see where I can choose to add the contact to "spam number." I don't see this option on the S5. I looked at the blocking list, but this only blocks a phone call I'm assuming since I added the number and she is still receiving the texts. Anywho, I was going to look in the app store but was wondering if I can do it natively. Thanks for any help.

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
Go to a text message from the person, tap menu (three dots on top right) , scroll down the menu and 'add to spam numbers'

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Go to a text message from the person, tap menu (three dots on top right) , scroll down the menu and 'add to spam numbers'

If it's not there, it's Verizon messing with the phone to make room for their bloatware. How the hell they get away with that I don't know.

MountainMan73

Sep 23, 2013
Yea, I should have said that doesn't work. Nowhere is there an option to add to spam numbers. That's why I'm having so much trouble. You can't long press on the message. You can't menu into it. You can't go into applications/messaging/spam. Nothing. I'm baffled.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

jopat

May 25, 2014
Open the text message sent to you, while on that screen, you will see three vertically aligned dots on the upper right corner of the screen. Touch it to open the menu. Scroll down and you will see "add to spam numbers".

MountainMan73

Sep 23, 2013
Nope. It's not there. First thing I tried. I can't find an option, in the phone, regarding "spam numbers" at all. Zero.

Open the text message sent to you, while on that screen, you will see three vertically aligned dots on the upper right corner of the screen. Touch it to open the menu. Scroll down and you will see "add to spam numbers".

jopat

May 25, 2014
Weird. All stock firmwares should have the same interface and accessible menus. Maybe she's not using S5?

johnk1973

Dec 8, 2004
manchester
When you press the 3 dots and the menu pops up you can scroll the menu up for more options..

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

jetskier

Mar 15, 2011
On my AT&T model using AT&T messages, you click the message, then menu (3 vert. dots). Then add click "add to contact"..."create new". then name it and save it. Within that same new contact, click the menu button at top right. There is an option to "add to reject list".

it may be similar on Verizon if it's not in the top level menu.

jopat

May 25, 2014
Verizon tends to remove a lot of features on their phones. Download booster is removed as well.
Maybe they do that, I'm not familiar with what they do though . I can only think of a reason they did that, maybe they are offering the spam/blocking as a network service for a fee.

MountainMan73

Sep 23, 2013
I had done this. But it only blocks the phone call. Not the text.

I'm assuming the same as one of the other guys here. I bet if I called Verizon they offer it as a fee. Which is a load of BS.

And yes, it is an S5.

On my AT&T model using AT&T messages, you click the message, then menu (3 vert. dots). Then add click "add to contact"..."create new". then name it and save it. Within that same new contact, click the menu button at top right. There is an option to "add to reject list".

it may be similar on Verizon if it's not in the top level menu.

mediumsteak

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto ON
Alternatively your friend could go to the police and file a formal complaint regarding harassment if you cannot find a block button.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Rainleader

Jan 3, 2013
Toronto
Call/Message block setting enabled?

Hey guys, you can try this if you want:

You basically just need to add this to your CSC settings and it will enable a dedicated call/message blocking options in your settings.
This was posted for the Note 1 at the time but I tried it on my Note 3 and it works perfectly fine. I'm thinking it will work perfectly fine for your S5's.
Here's the original thread with full instructions how-to! All credit goes to Majdinj :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2434196