Is trustworthy to install a room cooked by "somebody"

Search This thread

InTheater

Mar 3, 2007
Hello XDA users,

I am in the point to reinstall my phone, and I thought to apply a different rom, unluckily my phone is not very supported on xda, a Jiayu G3. So searching for roms I found needrom.com

They have few great 4.2.2 rooms for my phone, even one with the kitkat look (which is actually pretty nice)

But I have my email, my credit card information, my passwords, my contacts, and basically my life like everyone else in the mobile

So, here my question, is it trustworthy to install and use a rom "found in internet" ?

Isn't there the danger of suffering a back-door (or full frontal) leak of your personal information ?

I would trust XDA as it is a very reputable site, but what about other places as needroom.com ?

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Hello XDA users,

I am in the point to reinstall my phone, and I thought to apply a different rom, unluckily my phone is not very supported on xda, a Jiayu G3. So searching for roms I found needrom.com

They have few great 4.2.2 rooms for my phone, even one with the kitkat look (which is actually pretty nice)

But I have my email, my credit card information, my passwords, my contacts, and basically my life like everyone else in the mobile

So, here my question, is it trustworthy to install and use a rom "found in internet" ?

Isn't there the danger of suffering a back-door (or full frontal) leak of your personal information ?

I would trust XDA as it is a very reputable site, but what about other places as needroom.com ?

Generally speaking, custom ROMs are less secure than stock. It depends on the specific ROM and features it includes as to how safe it is. Does it have full source code? What is it based off? (AOSP, CM, MIUI etc..)

If security is of prime concern, I actually recommend staying stock.

InTheater

Mar 3, 2007
Generally speaking, custom ROMs are less secure than stock.

That what I thought, but we all like the new functionality into our terminals,

It depends on the specific ROM and features it includes as to how safe it is. Does it have full source code? What is it based off? (AOSP, CM, MIUI etc..).
Stick to reputable developers and you should be fine
Well It really depends if the person making it has earned your trust, doesn't it ?

If I would have available an official cyanogen for my device, that will be easy to say. But the rom I am looking for is one storage on needrom, where as far as i can see, everyone can post a rom

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/jiayu-g3g3n/

Is any reputable developers working on Jiayu G3 ??

Callides

Jan 22, 2014
Spend some time with Google researching available ROM's for your device. Ask others what they are using and then go look it up on forums you will soon see what are the "good" ROM's and which are the bad ones.