FiredTV Launcher - Replacement Home/Launcher

Search This thread

Annunneo

Sep 17, 2013
I have been looking/trying other launchers but they were all either to awkward to use on the fire tv. Or they just didnt work properly. Any chance of a link to the play store for the launcher please as when i look there are several matching square launcher? Thanks for your help
It's the square launcher tablet edition.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

My apologies it's squarehome tablet edition. Here's the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ss.squarehome&hl=en .

Reactions: FreakyGeekz

FreakyGeekz

Jan 5, 2012
It's the square launcher tablet edition.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

My apologies it's squarehome tablet edition. Here's the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ss.squarehome&hl=en .

Thanks for the link. Will give it a go. Cant wait for someone to get the official android tv launcher working (if ever)
-----
Probably a basic question, but how do i use the squarehome launcher as the default launcher? Thanks

Last edited:

Annunneo

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for the link. Will give it a go. Cant wait for someone to get the official android tv launcher working (if ever)
-----
Probably a basic question, but how do i use the squarehome launcher as the default launcher? Thanks
I use firetv helper app and I must say it works great. When I press the home button it takes me to squarehome. I'll post a link to the thread.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Here's the thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3020515

Reactions: FreakyGeekz

FreakyGeekz

Jan 5, 2012
I use firetv helper app and I must say it works great. When I press the home button it takes me to squarehome. I'll post a link to the thread.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Here's the thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3020515

Fantastic. Exactly what I was after. Time to customise squarehome. Thanks for you help. Appreciate it

goldmine

Mar 31, 2015
After installing the latest Amazon Fire firmware, Fired TV doesn't activate when the home button is pressed, instead it returns to the official Fire home screen, making Fired TV useless. Please make a fix for this to make it compatible with the latest firmware!

I use a Llama command to do my startup and home button launch back to my firedtv menu ( , so I don’t have to keep clicking the remote to get back to the setting to launch the firedtv app after I hit the home button by mistake.

I use a Llama command
When the current app is KFTV Laucher – delay for 30 seconds and then run FiredTV

The only problem I see sometimes is it won’t launch on startup.
So I just click the down arrow a couple of clicks and hit the home button and it launches is about 30 seconds. Seem to run ok after that.
I set the delay to 30 seconds to have a way to get into other apps in case something doesn’t go right one day (An app is updated or remove ect..).

If you or anyone needs a step by step instruction, just ask and I will post how to setup up the commands in Llama.

cOmm_718

Jan 5, 2011
The Bronx
I use a Llama command to do my startup and home button launch back to my firedtv menu ( , so I don’t have to keep clicking the remote to get back to the setting to launch the firedtv app after I hit the home button by mistake.

I use a Llama command
When the current app is KFTV Laucher – delay for 30 seconds and then run FiredTV

The only problem I see sometimes is it won’t launch on startup.
So I just click the down arrow a couple of clicks and hit the home button and it launches is about 30 seconds. Seem to run ok after that.
I set the delay to 30 seconds to have a way to get into other apps in case something doesn’t go right one day (An app is updated or remove ect..).

If you or anyone needs a step by step instruction, just ask and I will post how to setup up the commands in Llama.

Yes, please post a step by step on how you use Llama with fired tv. I'd like to give it a try. :)

goldmine

Mar 31, 2015
Yes, please post a step by step on how you use Llama with fired tv. I'd like to give it a try. :)

Launch Llama
Click Event on top
Click + in Event tab at the bottom of the screen

Click Add Condition
Click Active application
Choose an app (KFTV Launcher)
Status leave at ( App started or in foreground ) and click Ok

Click Add Action
Click Run Application Choose ( FiredTv or what ever app you wish to launch to.) FiredTv is the App Menu I use.

Click Advanced:
Click Delay Event to enable it
Set Delay Seconds : 30 Seconds
Click Cancel Delay if False

Done - Back out of Llama

To disable this command in the future just launch Llama and open the event you just made and uncheck the enable box or just delete the event if you will not be using it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silenus21

batcave

Nov 12, 2006
FriedTV on Home Screen of FireTV/Stick

I just bought the app Firedtv v1.1.5 on amazon website even though not compatible with firetv/stick, then sideloaded the FriedTV 1.1.5 to my Firetv and then went to my account on firetv sync content. BAM ! Friedtv on homescreen of my Firetv, same procedure works for kodi which was posted by someone here. ENJOY !

shawndoc

Mar 7, 2008
I'm running 1.1.5 of FiredTV. I am having an issue with some apps that playback video content. Kodi works fine, however Hulu Plus does not.

When I play a video, I get a black screen (with any logo overlays visible) with full audio.

If I force close FIreTV and launch Hulu, everything works as it should. Relaunch FiredTV and launch Hulu, I'm back to the blank screen and audio. So it appears to be something FiredTV related.

A Disneyland app also has the same problem when trying to play back video. I get the audio, but no video if FiredTV is running.

This is with the Amazon FireTV Stick.

88wildman88

Apr 18, 2015
Just got my firetvs in the mail and setup my tv and one of my sticks.. I have firedtv there and when I launch it it opens up however that is it. When I hit the home button I go to the normal fire tv page and I have to go through the applications menu to open firedtv (its just as easy to go through the applications and launch the app I want).. Maybe I am missing something. My understanding was that you did not require a root and you just opened it and it worked (maybe something has to be configured with Lama??

Can someone help me out..

Thanks a lot

magnoman

Jul 17, 2010
Just got my firetvs in the mail and setup my tv and one of my sticks.. I have firedtv there and when I launch it it opens up however that is it. When I hit the home button I go to the normal fire tv page and I have to go through the applications menu to open firedtv (its just as easy to go through the applications and launch the app I want).. Maybe I am missing something. My understanding was that you did not require a root and you just opened it and it worked (maybe something has to be configured with Lama??

Can someone help me out..

Thanks a lot

Ive never gotten it too work 100 % on its own i now use it with llama and viewster as the sacrificial launcher.
just make an action when viewster is run open up fired tv.
Hope that helps.

Magnoman

MS79

Apr 29, 2015
Please add folders or groups to the FiredTV Launcher. I want so sort my apps.

By the way, the sort function is not working as it should.

loughrey101

May 4, 2014
Can you please update this app as the reordering doesn't work like all the other updates? It moves up about three or four apps and then it starts moving another app. Why can't you get this issue fixed after all the updates that were created to fix this issue? Also the custom background has never worked, it keeps downloading forever and there is no way to stop it, forcing you to reboot the Fire TV every time.

J2048b

May 9, 2015
my fire tv is going back for replacement so i need to know how to remove tvlauncher? my system won't allow me to go into installed apps, so I'm lost

need to remove this before i send it back for replacement

thanks

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
my fire tv is going back for replacement so i need to know how to remove tvlauncher? my system won't allow me to go into installed apps, so I'm lost

need to remove this before i send it back for replacement

thanks
If you can still open/install ES File Explorer it can be easily be found & uninstalled from Homepage / Apps .

OR If you can still ADB into the your FTV then just follow the "Update Process" instructions available in the FiredTV GitHub.

https://github.com/Redth/FiredTVLauncher#update-process

Update Process

To update to a newer version of this app, first you must uninstall the old version.

You can do this on the FireTV itself (Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > FireTV Launcher > Uninstall)

Or, you can use adb:

Code:
    adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to connect to your FireTV where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your FireTV
    adb uninstall com.altusapps.firedtvlauncher

Reactions: wavu and J2048b

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FiredTV Launcher is a 'replacement' for Amazon's Home/Launcher app which does not show sideloaded apps.
    Visit the project page for more information (including source code): https://github.com/Redth/FiredTVLauncher

firedtv-new-01.png

How does it work?
    While it's not possible (yet/without root) to actually replace the launcher app, FiredTV effectively does this by watching for Amazon's launcher being opened, and then immediately launches itself. Because of this, you will see Amazon's home screen flash on the screen very briefly after pressing the home button, before FiredTV Launcher appears.

Installation
    You can install the app by grabbing the .APK directly from the releases page: https://github.com/Redth/FiredTVLauncher/releases
    You will need to sideload the app. There are many guides available how to do this on the forums.

Once the app has been installed, go into your FireTV Settings, go into Applications, find 'FiredTV' in the list, select it, and select 'Launch Application'

Enjoy!

Where's the Java?
    If you looked at the source, you may have noticed that there's no Java. That's because this was written entirely in C# using Xamarin! C# is awesome, go use Xamarin!

What's next?
    Obviously this launcher is very simple, and there's not much to it. I'm planning on adding some Settings configuration within the app, so you can do things like hide apps, reorder them, hide labels, change colors, etc.

UPDATES
    --------------------------
    v1.1.5
    - Better FireTV Stick support
    - Fixed Default Wallpaper not showing up in some instances
    - Fixed Show/Hide for Amazon apps
    - New Icon/Name for FireTV Home 'app'
    - Fixed Settings icon

v1.1.4
    - Fixed Signing issue

v1.1.3
    - Updated Home detection logic, should be much more reliable
    - Home detection is disabled by default (to help App store approval)
    - Fixed a bug where the settings might show Home Detection enabled when it's actually disabled

v.1.1.0
    - Home key detection disabled by default (to pass Amazon Store approval - you can enable it in Settings)
    - New implementation for re-ordering apps
    - More reliable settings saving/loading
    - Customizable Wallpaper
    - Removed FiredTV Logo
    - Customizable Alpha of various backgrounds (top bar, label, app icon)
    - Long press menu to hide app or uninstall app

v.1.0.3
    - Now you can re-order apps
    - Fixed bug with hiding Settings shortcut
    - Now works on other devices (also on other devices that support it, now can become the 'home' launcher app)
    - Fixed bug with time display (was in 24 hours by default)

v.1.0.2
    This version adds some new features. Please note a different keystore was used to sign this app, so you may have to uninstall v.1.0.1 first!
    - Hide/Show apps are all configurable now
    - Date / Time now on home screen
    - Hiding Logo, Date, Time App Labels all now configurable
    - App Label font size configurable
    - Fixed Settings shortcut
    - Apps are now sorted by name
    Updates coming...

So I've put a significant amount of work into FiredTV Launcher in the last few days when I've found some time...

Here's what is in the upcoming release:
    • Completely new screen for better reordering of apps
    • FiredTV Logo removed (it was ugly)
    • Top info bar with time now is semi-transparent
    • Adjustable transparency levels of the top info bar, background behind app icons, background behind app label
    • Customizable wallpaper

Before I release the update I need to add ability to change default wallpaper (right now it's just hard coded). Anyway, here are some screenshots of the upcoming release!

vXbHhVu.png

XM5ra75.png

173MUiD.png
    Hey folks, finally had enough time to cobble together a new release.

v1.1.0 is now available (and has also been submitted to the Amazon app store for review)

https://github.com/Redth/FiredTVLauncher/releases/tag/1.1.0
    Hey Folks!

Sorry I've been really busy these past few weeks and haven't got much done on the Fired TV Launcher...

I'm going to be working some more on it very soon though! Thanks for all the feedback!
    This indeed is legit. I figured I'd throw it up on the store and if anyone wants there for ease of downloading they can get it.
    I will still publish this to GitHub, free, and open source, including the .apk's themselves so if you want to side-load you can still do it for free!

I'll be taking a look at bugs in the next few weeks, I'm too busy with my day job right now though. I personally haven't seen it crash or lock up or anything so this makes me think maybe there's something odd in your configuration if it's happening to you (it's really just a simple app). If you are experiencing crashes, paste the logcat output in a new github issue or don't complain :)

Cheers!