[Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Search This thread
Feb 13, 2013
Your phone needs to be in fastboot for you to find it. Connect the phone, boot into the bootloader, enter fastboot, open a new command prompt, and try "fastboot devices". you should see the phone.

If you can't find the file then you're not in the right directory. Make sure you navigate to the folder that contains the file then run the command. (or you can just give it the full path to the file)

I have it in fast boot mode everytime and have tried it from every folder I can think of...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

wils01

Dec 27, 2012

x Eacott

May 14, 2011
This question has been answered, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail to their answers:

On android, the memory is divided into several partitions (you might think of it like different disk drives), including a /boot, /system, and /data partition. The /boot partition is where the kernel (the heart of the android o/s) resides; the /system (where the bulk of the android o/s resides); the /data is where your apps and personal data reside. The /boot and /system partitions require system administrator level rights in order to change the information stored there (the system administrator account on android/linux is known as "root" or "superuser").

The update that came from VZW changed elements in the /system and /boot directories, using a superuser key to grant the update permission to change the files on those partitions.

Unfortunately, a factory reset only essentially re-formats the /data partition, wiping out all the user information stored there, but doesn't change the /system or /boot partitions.

The root process essentially hacks the device to gain system administrator rights to the android phone, using exploits in the android o/s. This is essentially a cat and mouse game. The update sent by VZW/HTC patches the exploits that were used to gain root access (that is why it is always dangerous to accept updates from VZW/HTC).

Hopefully the developers on this website will be able to find another exploit/weakness, and provide a way for those who have phones that have the update to obtain root, unlock the bootloader (another partition), and gain s-off (another level of turning a security flag to "off" so that even more partitions can be accessed/changed (ie.the /radio partition).

Something as nicely detailed as this should be posted in a LOT of threads for everyone to read, not kidding. Best written explanation I've ever seen.

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I have it in fast boot mode everytime and have tried it from every folder I can think of...

here i will post some output of what it should look like maybe to help you out...

Im gonna navigate to a random file to demonstrate what you should do, so what I did was navigate to the platform-tools folder, you are probably going to want to put your file you are flashing in there or anywhere you can navigate too, in this example I used an imaginary recovery.img file and this is how it should look when you do it.

Code:
C:\Users\Ryan>[COLOR="Red"]cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools[/COLOR]

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>[COLOR="SeaGreen"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
015d2d42263c1c0f        fastboot

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>[COLOR="DarkOrange"]fastboot flash recovery [B][I][U]recovery.img[/U][/I][/B][/COLOR]
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'
The red is my changing the directory to where the file "would be" located
The green is the reboot command to get into fastboot
The purple is me checking to see if my device is recognized by fastboot (you have to be booted into bootloader where it shows "fastboot usb"
The orange is the flash command to write the recovery.img to the recovery (and where I have it bold underlined and italicized is the name of the file yours might be different but its important to know the exact file name and the file extension in this case its a " .img " file)

***I didnt have a recovery.img file in my platform-tools folder but you will and yours would have flashed it or w/e file you put in there

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013
are you sure your computer recognizes your device? (if you type in: adb devices, do you see something under List of devices attached.. FA####?)
if not, you probably need to install the drivers.
I used PDAnet and it worked for me. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1983470

Ill try that just to be sure...

here i will post some output of what it should look like maybe to help you out...

Im gonna navigate to a random file to demonstrate what you should do, so what I did was navigate to the platform-tools folder, you are probably going to want to put your file you are flashing in there or anywhere you can navigate too, in this example I used an imaginary recovery.img file and this is how it should look when you do it.

Code:
C:\Users\Ryan>[COLOR="Red"]cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools[/COLOR]

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>[COLOR="SeaGreen"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
015d2d42263c1c0f        fastboot

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>[COLOR="DarkOrange"]fastboot flash recovery [B][I][U]recovery.img[/U][/I][/B][/COLOR]
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'
The red is my changing the directory to where the file "would be" located
The green is the reboot command to get into fastboot
The purple is me checking to see if my device is recognized by fastboot (you have to be booted into bootloader where it shows "fastboot usb"
The orange is the flash command to write the recovery.img to the recovery (and where I have it bold underlined and italicized is the name of the file yours might be different but its important to know the exact file name and the file extension in this case its a " .img " file)

***I didnt have a recovery.img file in my platform-tools folder but you will and yours would have flashed it or w/e file you put in there

Thanks for doing that for me man Im gunna try it again now... Im frustrated just cuz I cant seem to do even the simplest things

uppon2

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 27, 2010
If you're still stuck, please read my guide which is found in my signature below. Just skip the steps you have already taken elsewhere. Everything you need to know is in it. Unlike the other guide somebody linked you to, mine is very in depth and simple to follow with explained procedures.

Good luck friend

Feb 13, 2013
Well I tried installing the Pda... Got all the way through the process and it wont connect to the internet so once again something that should be easy and it wont work!

Feb 13, 2013
If you're still stuck, please read my guide which is found in my signature below. Just skip the steps you have already taken elsewhere. Everything you need to know is in it. Unlike the other guide somebody linked you to, mine is very in depth and simple to follow with explained procedures.

Good luck friend

Ill try it thanks man

Feb 13, 2013
I just get this no matter what I type... 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

uppon2

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 27, 2010
Disable and re-enable USB Debugging mode in the developer settings of your phone, also verify that you are running command from the location where you installed SDK. In my guide I explained you need to be in that folder and then right click on a blank space while holding down the shift key, then click on open command window here.

Make sure phone is in fastboot not bootloader by simply clicking on the power button once while in your bootloader (if you haven't scrolled up or down)

If you have followed all of my instructions now and from the guide then I am not sure what is wrong.

Kris.J

This question has been answered, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail to their answers:

On android, the memory is divided into several partitions (you might think of it like different disk drives), including a /boot, /system, and /data partition. The /boot partition is where the kernel (the heart of the android o/s) resides; the /system (where the bulk of the android o/s resides); the /data is where your apps and personal data reside. The /boot and /system partitions require system administrator level rights in order to change the information stored there (the system administrator account on android/linux is known as "root" or "superuser").

The update that came from VZW changed elements in the /system and /boot directories, using a superuser key to grant the update permission to change the files on those partitions.

Unfortunately, a factory reset only essentially re-formats the /data partition, wiping out all the user information stored there, but doesn't change the /system or /boot partitions.

The root process essentially hacks the device to gain system administrator rights to the android phone, using exploits in the android o/s. This is essentially a cat and mouse game. The update sent by VZW/HTC patches the exploits that were used to gain root access (that is why it is always dangerous to accept updates from VZW/HTC).

Hopefully the developers on this website will be able to find another exploit/weakness, and provide a way for those who have phones that have the update to obtain root, unlock the bootloader (another partition), and gain s-off (another level of turning a security flag to "off" so that even more partitions can be accessed/changed (ie.the /radio partition).

Excellent post jasoraso - I appreciate this community very much, but posts like these seem few and far between. :good:

Feb 13, 2013
Disable and re-enable USB Debugging mode in the developer settings of your phone, also verify that you are running command from the location where you installed SDK. In my guide I explained you need to be in that folder and then right click on a blank space while holding down the shift key, then click on open command window here.

Make sure phone is in fastboot not bootloader by simply clicking on the power button once while in your bootloader (if you haven't scrolled up or down)

If you have followed all of my instructions now and from the guide then I am not sure what is wrong.

Well I just deferred the Update till the 27th again so hopefully I can get this done by then...

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013
Finally!!!!! Now I just need to figure out how to flash the venom rom... Thanks to everyone that has helped so far! Also what happens when my update comes up? I cant just defer it forever...

Feb 13, 2013
So I checked it in root checker the first time after I did the TWRP method from DroidModd3rX's Vid and it gave me the pop up that should confirm it was rooted properly but I checked it again just to be sure and its said sorry does not have proper root access... Is this normal?

Last edited:

ScreenSpace

Feb 25, 2012
Pittsfield, MA.
B n' R

The best way to do any of this is to find someone who can do this in their sleep and then sit down with that person right next to you and walk you through it step by step. Right in front of your eyes. With you writing down each step as you go.

That is the best way.

The tenth best way to do it is online like this.

I know............hard to find that person in real life when the internet is flooded with them.

I like to have them sitting one foot away from me.

Then it goes easy peasey.

If life were only that simple.

Feb 13, 2013
B n' R

The best way to do any of this is to find someone who can do this in their sleep and then sit down with that person right next to you and walk you through it step by step. Right in front of your eyes. With you writing down each step as you go.

That is the best way.

The tenth best way to do it is online like this.

I know............hard to find that person in real life when the internet is flooded with them.

I like to have them sitting one foot away from me.

Then it goes easy peasey.

If life were only that simple.

Im starting to get it figured out just one hell of a learning curve but no worse then audio... I got it rooted now I just need to flash the rom I want and figure out if the update will screw with me

nb1201

Jan 9, 2012

Is there a team of devs, or a lone superstar dev working on this? I've read hints throughout the DNA forum that there is, but have yet to find a thread that actually confirms this. I really appreciate your explanation as I was just thinking of flashing the RUU file as well. Now I know to just wait and be patient. I read something that suggested jcase was working on it but no development thread to confirm this. Thank you for any information you or anybody else may have. Am drooling for ViporDNA!!!!

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Is there a team of devs, or a lone superstar dev working on this? I've read hints throughout the DNA forum that there is, but have yet to find a thread that actually confirms this. I really appreciate your explanation as I was just thinking of flashing the RUU file as well. Now I know to just wait and be patient. I read something that suggested jcase was working on it but no development thread to confirm this. Thank you for any information you or anybody else may have. Am drooling for ViporDNA!!!!

I follow jcase on twitter, and a few days ago he was asking for a volunteer who had the update and wasn't unlocked. I haven't seen anything else, so I'm guessing that whatever he was trying didn't pan out.

Regarding your question about a team, or a superstar, I really don't know. I know Jcase came up with the first method to root and unlock the bootloader, and he credited several people that helped him in his post (see his original post in the "original development" forum). Beaups then came up with a simpler method to get root and unlock the bootloader, and he too credited several people (see his original/updated post in the "original development" forum). Then, Beaups and Jcase together found the method to obtain s-off, and I believe they credited others as well (see beaups thread for s-off in the original development forum.

In the threads above, they make reference to the irc chat rooms on andirc. They will often hangout in those chat rooms (more than on these forums, I think) and chat with each other, often helping each other as they tackle projects like rooting or s-off. Note that they do this in their spare time - so sometimes the chat rooms are quiet, sometimes busy, as they come and go while they work their day jobs.

If you venture into THEIR chat room, I would encourage you to be respectful, and patient. You can see that there are several people that just lurk, compared to the regulars that participate, and I don't think they mind if you lurk. I think that is better than going there and asking lots of questions. Especially if they don't know who you are. Even more especially if you ask questions that sound anything like asking for an "ETA". If you monitor the chat room for a little while, you'll start to appreciate the work they do for our community, especially helping people who have particular issues (if those people are respectful), and you also might see the lack of patience they have for those that aren't respectful :)

Hopefully someone will be able to find another exploit for root so the bootloader can be unlocked on the DNA's that have the 2.04 update, and possibly even help them get s-off too. The fact that s-off was obtained for the DNA was quite an improbility. Up until this point, I believe no HTC phones had gotten s-off if they haven't had a micro-sd card, which means most of the HTC phones for the past year haven't obtained s-off. The fact that the s-off hack is called "face palm" makes me think that someone at HTC made a stupid mistake, that enable s-off to be obtained. I wouldn't count on HTC making that mistake twice.

If you are really impatient for unlocking and s-off, and you have the update, I believe the hardware method is still available, where you send your device to the group that will open your phone up, and physically attach a "j-tag" device that enable them to get s-off. Unfortunately, that will set you back $50 or so. But some people are offering a bounty close to that anyways.

Or, if you just received your phone, perhaps you are still within the window to return it, and get an exchange? Just make sure you don't accept the update on a new phone! I would be turning the phone on and getting s-off before I ever put the sim card in! (I think there is a special process if you leave the sim card out to be able bypass the activation).

Reactions: nb1201

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, going to do a little thread jacking here. It seems like this would be the best place to ask my question. I'm a long-time iOS user that just switched and silly me accepted the OTA 2.04.605 update. Now, if I performed a hard reset wouldn't that put my software back to its factory settings and would allow me to unlock my bootloader? Sorry if this annoying just trying to make sure it'll work before I go through the hassle of restoring. Thanks for any help!

It looks like its quite the long process if you don't have SDK and ADP already installed which you will need to unlock the bootloader...

Here is a guide for installing adb
    http://www.jailbreakeye.com/android/install-adb-fastboot

Here is a video that I went by to install my adb
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw

Here is page for new easy way to unlock bootloader
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2109862

And here is page with video guides to Root, install custom recovery and install kernels and Roms.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012346

You also need to install usb drivers on your pc. If you have't already done so you can get them here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2000896

It seems overwhelming but it really isn't if you read/watch things carefully and follow instructions it is pretty easy and fun.

I follow jcase on twitter, and a few days ago he was asking for a volunteer who had the update and wasn't unlocked. I haven't seen anything else, so I'm guessing that whatever he was trying didn't pan out.

Regarding your question about a team, or a superstar, I really don't know. I know Jcase came up with the first method to root and unlock the bootloader, and he credited several people that helped him in his post (see his original post in the "original development" forum). Beaups then came up with a simpler method to get root and unlock the bootloader, and he too credited several people (see his original/updated post in the "original development" forum). Then, Beaups and Jcase together found the method to obtain s-off, and I believe they credited others as well (see beaups thread for s-off in the original development forum.

In the threads above, they make reference to the irc chat rooms on andirc. They will often hangout in those chat rooms (more than on these forums, I think) and chat with each other, often helping each other as they tackle projects like rooting or s-off. Note that they do this in their spare time - so sometimes the chat rooms are quiet, sometimes busy, as they come and go while they work their day jobs.

If you venture into THEIR chat room, I would encourage you to be respectful, and patient. You can see that there are several people that just lurk, compared to the regulars that participate, and I don't think they mind if you lurk. I think that is better than going there and asking lots of questions. Especially if they don't know who you are. Even more especially if you ask questions that sound anything like asking for an "ETA". If you monitor the chat room for a little while, you'll start to appreciate the work they do for our community, especially helping people who have particular issues (if those people are respectful), and you also might see the lack of patience they have for those that aren't respectful :)

Hopefully someone will be able to find another exploit for root so the bootloader can be unlocked on the DNA's that have the 2.04 update, and possibly even help them get s-off too. The fact that s-off was obtained for the DNA was quite an improbility. Up until this point, I believe no HTC phones had gotten s-off if they haven't had a micro-sd card, which means most of the HTC phones for the past year haven't obtained s-off. The fact that the s-off hack is called "face palm" makes me think that someone at HTC made a stupid mistake, that enable s-off to be obtained. I wouldn't count on HTC making that mistake twice.

If you are really impatient for unlocking and s-off, and you have the update, I believe the hardware method is still available, where you send your device to the group that will open your phone up, and physically attach a "j-tag" device that enable them to get s-off. Unfortunately, that will set you back $50 or so. But some people are offering a bounty close to that anyways.

Or, if you just received your phone, perhaps you are still within the window to return it, and get an exchange? Just make sure you don't accept the update on a new phone! I would be turning the phone on and getting s-off before I ever put the sim card in! (I think there is a special process if you leave the sim card out to be able bypass the activation).