Screen Died (and I'm unlocked) - Suggestions?

Search This thread

derekk1

Jul 31, 2011
I'm on Cromi-X and last night the screen just died. No warning or other issues were noted. My wife was in the middle of a game of PVZ2 and it stopped working, She assumed that the battery had just hit 0%. I have been on Cromi-X for about 5 weeks and had zero problems - the tablet was running just fine. It's still running fine, with an HDMI cable and dock, the tablet is perfectly useable. So now for suggestions.

1) Is there any point in going through the effort of returning the tablet to stock and sending it back to Asus (hoping that they will honor the warranty)? Obviously unlocking and rooting aren't going to cause a hardware failure like this, but their language is pretty clear that unlocking voids the warranty regardless of whether or not this has anything to do with the failure.

2) In a sad coincidence, my second TF701T was damaged yesterday in a car accident (yes, I actually lost two tablets the same day). In this case, the problem seems to be just the digitizer as the display looks perfect below the cracked glass, but I know that replacements for qty=1 aren't really an option. That one wasn't unlocked by the way (too bad they weren't reversed). This one may get covered by insurance since the other driver ran a red light and smashed into the car. However, I might end up with a functional LCD available to use on the other one (I'm guessing that the digitizer is probably fine). I realize that this is a tricky repair.

3) Are there any known problems anyone has heard of about screens going dead like this? Is there a connector that could have worked its way loose or anything like that?

What do you folks think I should try? If #1 is a 0% chance of getting Asus to fix under warranty, then I'd rather not waste the time and money on round-trip freight. On the other hand, if there is a chance, I'd be screwing myself by opening the tablet to look for something loose or fixable on the connection to the screen which definitely would void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Rikodu

Sep 9, 2012
Morocco
I'm on Cromi-X and last night the screen just died. No warning or other issues were noted. My wife was in the middle of a game of PVZ2 and it stopped working, She assumed that the battery had just hit 0%. I have been on Cromi-X for about 5 weeks and had zero problems - the tablet was running just fine. It's still running fine, with an HDMI cable and dock, the tablet is perfectly useable. So now for suggestions.

1) Is there any point in going through the effort of returning the tablet to stock and sending it back to Asus (hoping that they will honor the warranty)? Obviously unlocking and rooting aren't going to cause a hardware failure like this, but their language is pretty clear that unlocking voids the warranty regardless of whether or not this has anything to do with the failure.

2) In a sad coincidence, my second TF701T was damaged yesterday in a car accident (yes, I actually lost two tablets the same day). In this case, the problem seems to be just the digitizer as the display looks perfect below the cracked glass, but I know that replacements for qty=1 aren't really an option. That one wasn't unlocked by the way (too bad they weren't reversed). This one may get covered by insurance since the other driver ran a red light and smashed into the car. However, I might end up with a functional LCD available to use on the other one (I'm guessing that the digitizer is probably fine). I realize that this is a tricky repair.

3) Are there any known problems anyone has heard of about screens going dead like this? Is there a connector that could have worked its way loose or anything like that?

What do you folks think I should try? If #1 is a 0% chance of getting Asus to fix under warranty, then I'd rather not waste the time and money on round-trip freight. On the other hand, if there is a chance, I'd be screwing myself by opening the tablet to look for something loose or fixable on the connection to the screen which definitely would void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

I have something I have just discovered 2 days ago.... When I was playing real racing 3, my tablet turned off as the battery got discharged. I connected the charger and turned the tablet on, then all I could see was gliches on the screen. The colors were hazy.And the touchscreen was not usable. I think it is a hardware issue because it did not affect only android but also the asus logo that appears before loading the os. I tried to reboot several times in vain. Fortunatlely, I found out how to get rid of those glistches. Very simple: when the os boots, I lock the screen then unlocked it. Yeah very weird!!! the problem was reproduced as well as the solution... However, I dont know if it happens only when the tablet goes off while gaming or does it happen every time the tablet gets discharged. Other than that, everything works flawlessly!!!

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
You unlocked it which means no you no longer have a warranty. ASUS are quite clear on this. You can send it back to Asus and they will charge you to fix it.

Or you could open the back and check the ribbon hasn't come lose? Same with the other one, get a screen from eBay and fix it yourself. Probably some vids you can use on you tube.

derekk1

Jul 31, 2011
So, I opened the tablet. Angry Dinosaur was right, it really is easy. Unfortunately, the cables connecting the display to the board look fine. I haven't seen any spare TF701T screens on Ebay, but I will keep looking. If anyone knows of a place, please let me know. Thanks.

derekk1

Jul 31, 2011
I normally don't do this, but based on what just happened, I added the Amazon 2-yr drops, spills, and hardware failure protection for $45. This one DOESN'T say anything about unlocking voiding a warranty (an that might be hard to prove in the event of a drop anyway). Anyone have any experience with this? For $45 it seems like a decent alternative to the loss of Asus warranty when I root. I can't not do it either, since I noticed such a big improvement on Cromi-X.

SBDAGS, if you are bored for a minute I had another question for you. I know that you love the stock browser and I agree that it's faster than Chrome. I want the extra screen space and so am using the quick controls. The one problem for me is that I like to scroll with my left thumb and pull out the menu with my right. I end up accidentally pulling up the quick controls and jumping to another page when I'm trying to scroll. This happens about every 5th scroll attempt. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to modify the labs setting to allow quick controls to function off left, right, both - maybe check boxes? I searched but couldn't find anything already done. I could create another donation fund for you if you think it's not a huge amount of work.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I normally don't do this, but based on what just happened, I added the Amazon 2-yr drops, spills, and hardware failure protection for $45. This one DOESN'T say anything about unlocking voiding a warranty (an that might be hard to prove in the event of a drop anyway). Anyone have any experience with this? For $45 it seems like a decent alternative to the loss of Asus warranty when I root. I can't not do it either, since I noticed such a big improvement on Cromi-X.

SBDAGS, if you are bored for a minute I had another question for you. I know that you love the stock browser and I agree that it's faster than Chrome. I want the extra screen space and so am using the quick controls. The one problem for me is that I like to scroll with my left thumb and pull out the menu with my right. I end up accidentally pulling up the quick controls and jumping to another page when I'm trying to scroll. This happens about every 5th scroll attempt. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to modify the labs setting to allow quick controls to function off left, right, both - maybe check boxes? I searched but couldn't find anything already done. I could create another donation fund for you if you think it's not a huge amount of work.

It'll be in the smali code probably. A good question for someone like @elesbb who loves these challenges. ;) it's not a question of being bored for this one, I don't have the tools with me to decompile the apk.

Top Liked Posts