Windows Phone 8.1 tweaking

Search This thread

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\\Shell\Start "ScreenSize" is the value that controls the setting status of the tiles, but it does not change the actual tiles..

Last edited:

cromourso

Oct 11, 2008
Portugal
Yes we need to find these things (if possible via registry):

Text smaller again when 3 rows enabled, as was before.
Text bigger inside tiles when 3 rows enabled, as was before.

Also I liked smaller navigation tiles in pictures etc better. Picture gallery is small now, but albums view is huge.

History page from people hub is gone, I imagine some would like to see this back?
I would love to have thoose back!!

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Settings\QuickSettingElements\Pinned

Has some control over the quick toggle elements, there is a value "AllowedQuickSettingsElements", but setting it to 5 does not enable the 5th quick toggle. More values are needed to do that.

skubi07

Oct 27, 2011
Tarnow
For now only way to make 5 toggle is change PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-938. I think that loads hardware spec form libs to make os adapted for screen and hw. After change model in registry, there isnt any other change than in PhoneManufacturerModelName...

Reactions: gidannifico

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
For now only way to make 5 toggle is change PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-938. I think that loads hardware spec form libs to make os adapted for screen and hw. After change model in registry, there isnt any other change than in PhoneManufacturerModelName...

Aa ok, its been looked at.

Does anyone remember where the settings for displaying date format in calendar is? I saw something like this few days ago. I have region and language set to US (cortana), locale is set to Finland. Time in calendar is diplayed in 12h format even though it should be in 24h.

thals1992

Sep 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
www.uidnation.com
Enabling optimized boot Phone bring-up > Boot and UEFI

April 10, 2014
Applies to: Windows Phone hardware development
By default, the Windows Phone 8.1 OS boot process waits for all device drivers to start before starting other processes and services. However, OEMs can optionally enable an optimized boot feature in their phone images to have the boot process start some system processes and services before all device drivers start. When the optimized boot feature is enabled, the overall boot time may be shortened by as much as 5 seconds. However, enabling the optimized boot feature may cause the following issues:

• Calls from OEM drivers and services into other drivers during boot may fail. This is because the drivers receiving the calls may not be loaded when the other drivers or services issue their calls.
  • Phones with only 512 MB of RAM may run out of memory in some cases during boot.
Although the optimized boot feature is not enabled by default, Microsoft recommends that OEMs consider enabling it in the following scenarios.

Phones that are built for Windows Phone 8.1

For phones built for Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft recommends that OEMs thoroughly test their phones with optimized boot enabled, and ship their phones with optimized boot enabled in the retail phone images if there are no boot issues.
To enable optimized boot in a phone that is built for Windows Phone 8.1, include the OPTIMIZED_BOOT feature in the OEMInput XML file when building the image. For more information, see Optional features for building images.

Phones that are updated to Windows Phone 8.1

For existing Windows Phone 8 phones that will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft recommends that OEMs thoroughly test their existing phones with optimized boot enabled. If there are no regressions in boot behavior, OEMs should consider releasing a BSP update to coincide with the Windows Phone 8.1 update that enables optimized boot.
To enable the optimized boot feature in an update, create a package that sets the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Pnp\BootOptions registry value to 3. This is a REG_DWORD value.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!

April 10, 2014
By default, the Windows Phone 8.1 OS boot process waits for all device drivers to start before starting other processes and services. However, OEMs can optionally enable an optimized boot feature in their phone images to have the boot process start some system processes and services before all device drivers start. When the optimized boot feature is enabled, the overall boot time may be shortened by as much as 5 seconds. However, enabling the optimized boot feature may cause the following issues:

• Calls from OEM drivers and services into other drivers during boot may fail. This is because the drivers receiving the calls may not be loaded when the other drivers or services issue their calls.
  • Phones with only 512 MB of RAM may run out of memory in some cases during boot.
Although the optimized boot feature is not enabled by default, Microsoft recommends that OEMs consider enabling it in the following scenarios.

For phones built for Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft recommends that OEMs thoroughly test their phones with optimized boot enabled, and ship their phones with optimized boot enabled in the retail phone images if there are no boot issues.
To enable optimized boot in a phone that is built for Windows Phone 8.1, include the OPTIMIZED_BOOT feature in the OEMInput XML file when building the image. For more information, see Optional features for building images.

For existing Windows Phone 8 phones that will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft recommends that OEMs thoroughly test their existing phones with optimized boot enabled. If there are no regressions in boot behavior, OEMs should consider releasing a BSP update to coincide with the Windows Phone 8.1 update that enables optimized boot.
To enable the optimized boot feature in an update, create a package that sets the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Pnp\BootOptions registry value to 3. This is a REG_DWORD value.

what key ?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Pnp\BootOptions
Key ?
Value 3

gidannifico

Apr 8, 2014

The 'Faster Boot' worked for me, until now nothing bad happened to the phone and it seemed a bit more 'reactive' during the boot, requiring a bit less time after the screen 'Windows Phone' and 'Samsung Mobile' . Just one thing (to clarify) : writing 00000003 or 3 seems to be the same thing (I wrote down the value 00000003 and when I tap on 'Read' the phone tells me the value is 3, so I thought to write it here).
Then..thank you marrass82, cause Microsoft Dev's website didn't specified what to put in the field 'key'.

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\USB "DisableUSBControlPanel" set it to 0 and you will have the usb menu in settings. No reboot needed.

Tried and it works. (in the pic you see USB in the settings)
Thank You Loco.
One question: what can we do with this settings?
Connect our phones with other devices as TV,mouse,hd,pendrives?
I've tried to connect with the usb connector the phone to the mouse, external hd, pendrives..but they don't work. -it seems the phone is 'mute' when I try to connect it with usb-

EDIT

Guys, I don't know if it's important BUT AFTER regediting (for both the fast boot and the USB in the settings)

1)My PHONE DATAS BECAME OF 3,84 GB! (yesterday they were about 2,8GBs) -IMAGE-
2)Searching in the phone with Explorer I found this 'FirstBoot', which I didn't remember -IMAGE-
3)Some .xap that were deployed now don't work (neither they let the app's image appear in the start menu). -IMAGE- For ex. I can't open WPHTWEAKS or PDFTOOffice ...I'll try to deploy them again.
5)THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: I don't know why but my phone often told me(after rebooting) that sd card had some errors (my phone is a interopunlocked Ativ S). Why do I have this error?Can this be related with the problems I'm having now?

Any help?
I wouldn't like to hard reset again and flash gdr2 to interop unlock this time too... :(

Thanks in advantage

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140426_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140426_0001.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 359
  • wp_ss_20140426_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140426_0002.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 338
  • firstboot.png
    firstboot.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

gidannifico

Apr 8, 2014
Sorry guys, I have to Edit again.

- About my System datas on the phone, they're still remaining of 3,84 gbs(even if before editing the reg they were of 2,80GBs and a second after editing it the 'other' folder was about 1 GB (then returned to 100mb and now is about 200mb...! O.O)

- I've deployed again some xaps and I can open 'em without any problem (for example pdftooffice), it could be that some homebrew apps was seen as an error from the phone and so it asked me if I wanted to 'fix the problems of my sd card'..could be, who knows..

I'll let you know as soon as I can if there are other problems about these changes of reg (most of all about the 'fest boot' which I think f---ed my system datas)

miki89

May 21, 2010
Belgrade
Sorry guys, I have to Edit again.

- About my System datas on the phone, they're still remaining of 3,84 gbs(even if before editing the reg they were of 2,80GBs and a second after editing it the 'other' folder was about 1 GB (then returned to 100mb and now is about 200mb...! O.O)

- I've deployed again some xaps and I can open 'em without any problem (for example pdftooffice), it could be that some homebrew apps was seen as an error from the phone and so it asked me if I wanted to 'fix the problems of my sd card'..could be, who knows..

I'll let you know as soon as I can if there are other problems about these changes of reg (most of all about the 'fest boot' which I think f---ed my system datas)

Can you deploy and have working wphtools because when i tried to deploy i got error? and deploing other apps like sam tools and webserver wokrs just fine..

gidannifico

Apr 8, 2014
Can you deploy and have working wphtools because when i tried to deploy i got error? and deploing other apps like sam tools and webserver wokrs just fine..

I can deploy ANY app until now, can open ANY app but my phone system datas continue to grow (first we were at 3,84 .now we're at 3,87GBs) and the folder 'Documents' grows too (now at 509 MBs but I still can't find where this folder is)

Last edited:

gidannifico

Apr 8, 2014

Has some control over the quick toggle elements, there is a value "AllowedQuickSettingsElements", but setting it to 5 does not enable the 5th quick toggle. More values are needed to do that.

I want smaller text back!

Sent from my ATIV S using Tapatalk

Guys read HERE! Camera Problem solved ;)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2434959&page=18

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\USB "DisableUSBControlPanel" set it to 0 and you will have the usb menu in settings. No reboot needed.

April 10, 2014

I updated to WP8.1 yesterday from fully unlocked GDR3. Early finds:

Seems that Im still unlocked, editing accents works, chaning "start key wakes up the screen" works etc...

The toast launcher does not work anymore (as was expected I guess).

I read the registry values done for the unlock using SamWP8Tools and they seem to be still all there. Reading PortalUrlProd and PortalUrlInt results an error, but the value is found and is still 127.0.0.1.

I tried to run full unlock again, BootstrapSamsung resulted Success!, but EnableAllSideloading returned an error (screen capture below). The Non-Production Errors.txt was not present at Documents anymore, putting it there does not change anything.

wp_ss_20140414_0002.png

Seems that enabling more tiles have changed their registry values. Changing the setting from SamWP8Tools or WPHTweaks does not do anything, except the setting status does change to the other tweaking app.

On WP8.1 and more tiles enabled, the text in the tiles is smaller than we had earlier with our tweak. This would be great setting to find and make possible to have bigger font on the tiles. Its readable but we had it better.

On people hub the recent contacts page is gone, so that setting in WPHTweaks does not do anything anymore.

I want smaller text back!

Sent from my ATIV S using Tapatalk

Guys read HERE! Camera Problem solved ;)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2434959&page=18
    My phone's acting up a lot post update, so I'm going to factory restore it. Anyways I was just looking and there's a file in my documents folder on my phone, called 256.err.
    It's just a single line:
    Code:
    \PROGRAMS\COMMONFILES\OEM\PUBLIC\ADC\TLS_base_update.xml[80004005]

Any idea what this could be?
    your phone had Problems (it coudn't find) the file TLS_base_update.xml.

the file is normally stored here: PROGRAMS\COMMONFILES\OEM\PUBLIC\ADC

I had that too but on all os versions , this has to do with bad/real bad reception of your network .
    normally it get fixed when you reboot at a place where you know you have good reception.