[Firmware] Engineering Bootloader N900PVPECNC5

Search This thread

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
To each user the experience varies.

The NX5 modem is by far the best of the clutch available for this device...I get better signal strength, faster handoffs for WiFi, far better WiFi reach, just a superior user experience.

But, as one may imagine, there are so many variables that it's well nigh impossible to isolate that which is best for you.

Best thing about having this terrific engineering bootloader, the ability to flash even the jellybean MJ4 modem...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m00o8zdhoqanl11/N900PVPUBMJ4_Modem.tar

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Where did you find an NX5 modem, or did you mean NC5?

Reactions: micmars

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
To each user the experience varies.

The NC5 modem is by far the best of the clutch available for this device...I get better signal strength, faster handoffs for WiFi, far better WiFi reach, just a superior user experience.

But, as one may imagine, there are so many variables that it's well nigh impossible to isolate that which is best for you.

Best thing about having this terrific engineering bootloader, the ability to flash even the jellybean MJ4 modem...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m00o8zdhoqanl11/N900PVPUBMJ4_Modem.tar

I will have to give that a try thanks.

mustasusi

Mar 17, 2012
Makkabim
I'm on NC5 and looking for a way to downgrade back to 4.3 Mj4. I'd like to know if indeed it's possible according to your description. I flashed this OK but I see no difference, how am I supposed to tell it's actually there?

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I'm on NC5 and looking for a way to downgrade back to 4.3 Mj4. I'd like to know if indeed it's possible according to your description. I flashed this OK but I see no difference, how am I supposed to tell it's actually there?

As of this writing, there is no known way to return to MJ4 from any TouchWiz KitKat build.

You're stuck with it.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
What about a Nandroid backup? isn't that still an option?
I don't have one since my phone is factory Kitkat, if I ever had a chance I would no doubt Nandroid a 4.3 backup...

There are separate TWRP recoveries for 4.3 vs 4.4.2. PhilZ CWM, though one recovery variant for both, is not compatible when restoring a jellybean backup on a KitKat partitioned phone.

So at best, restoring a jellybean backup onto a TouchWiz KitKat phone will throw up error messages.

At worst, you'll wreak unwanted havoc on your device.

Irrespective, there is no known way of reverting to 4.3 once you're on 4.4.2.

Reactions: mustasusi

mustasusi

Mar 17, 2012
Makkabim
There are separate TWRP recoveries for 4.3 vs 4.4.2. PhilZ CWM, though one recovery variant for both, is not compatible when restoring a jellybean backup on a KitKat partitioned phone.

So at best, restoring a jellybean backup onto a TouchWiz KitKat phone will throw up error messages.

At worst, you'll wreak unwanted havoc on your device.

Irrespective, there is no known way of reverting to 4.3 once you're on 4.4.2.

Does the same apply to AOSP/AOKP/CM 4.3 ROMS as well?

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Does the same apply to AOSP/AOKP/CM 4.3 ROMS as well?

All of this applies to the TouchWiz rom build the phone was on prior to installing an AOSP variant.

If ever on a TouchWiz KitKat build prior to flashing an AOSP rom, you cannot go back to jellybean.

If never on a TouchWiz KitKat build prior to flashing an AOSP rom, then you can flash TouchWiz jellybean.

In sum, yes. Everything indexes to the last TouchWiz build you were on as to whether you can flash jellybean now.

As noted, once the phone has upgraded to TouchWiz KitKat, no combination of steps of which I'm aware will ever allow you to go back to jellybean.

mustasusi

Mar 17, 2012
Makkabim
All of this applies to the TouchWiz rom build the phone was on prior to installing an AOSP variant.

If ever on a TouchWiz KitKat build prior to flashing an AOSP rom, you cannot go back to jellybean.

If never on a TouchWiz KitKat build prior to flashing an AOSP rom, then you can flash TouchWiz jellybean.

In sum, yes. Everything indexes to the last TouchWiz build you were on as to whether you can flash jellybean now.

As noted, once the phone has upgraded to TouchWiz KitKat, no combination of steps of which I'm aware will ever allow you to go back to jellybean.

Thank you for the sharp answer. I'm still ought to try a 4.3 Nandroid as this is a test phone thus I'm not afraid of bricking it, but indeed you saved me a lot of frustration. Anyway if you have an Mj4 Nandroid or some one who reads my message has one, I'd be glad to have a share of it.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Thank you for the sharp answer. I'm still ought to try a 4.3 Nandroid as this is a test phone thus I'm not afraid of bricking it, but indeed you saved me a lot of frustration. Anyway if you have an Mj4 Nandroid or some one who reads my message has one, I'd be glad to have a share of it.

Glad to have helped.

As noted, that which you are trying to accomplish is unattainable. If you want to brick your phone, there are far swifter ways to do it.

As to sharing a Nandroid backup from my phone with anyone other than myself, I will choose not do to so.

If another chooses to indulge your foray, I would strongly caution against it.

You could always test your theory with one of the 4.3 roms on these forums.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
It is highly advised not to share nandroid backups, they contain sensitive information, account numbers, logins, etc...
Even with a completely wiped device, fresh flash from a tar, The device meid and other various identifiers are contained in a nandroid.
There has been an answer to the question that suits the needs of what's being/trying to be accomplished, and access to someone else's information is not necessary to do it.

Last edited:

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
Ok this thread is really old. But lately I have been getting kernel panics, so I thought I go back to Stock NC5 bootloader instead of the Eng one.. But each time I try to flash in Odin, I get failed.. Any ideas.. I am running the S5 Port rom..

Last edited:

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Ok this thread is really old. But lately I have been getting kernel panics, so I thought I go back to Stock NC5 bootloader instead of the Eng one.. But each time I try to flash in Odin, I get failed.. Any ideas.. I am running the S5 Port rom..
The thread hasn't been updated because no later version exists.

Power off device completely, then enter download mode. Flash from PC Odin, file goes into bootloader slot.

I've read this lately, that the stock bootloader isn't sticking. If yes, you can flash the stock tar in my thread or others linked in this forum, or one-click NC5 provided by @rwilco12. Stock rom means stock bootloader inclusive (yeah, I'm sure you know, but some don't).

Reactions: rwilco12

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
The thread hasn't been updated because no later version exists.

Power off device completely, then enter download mode. Flash from PC Odin, file goes into bootloader slot.

I've read this lately, that the stock bootloader isn't sticking. If yes, you can flash the stock tar in my thread or others linked in this forum, or one-click NC5 provided by @rwilco12. Stock rom means stock bootloader inclusive (yeah, I'm sure you know, but some don't).

Thanks micmars wasn't sure if having to return to a stock rom first was the problem. But for now I did just that and everything is fine..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here I have with me the engineering bootloader for our Galaxy Note 3. It is version NC5 so as long as you're on a KitKat bootloader, you can flash this. I recommend being on software NC5 or NC5D already, but if you are on NAB[D] this will also work. Please note I will not handle support or take responsibility for anything you do outside of flashing this bootloader on recommended software versions.

[size=+1]WARNING[/size]:
    This has the potential to BRICK your device, so use it at your own risk.

What is the purpose of this bootloader?
    Well, I believe that having this bootloader will allow us to easily flash basebands in the future, as long as you don't flash any Odin TAR files, or take any OTAs, you will retain the bootloader. I do not know if you will be able to downgrade again in the future to this bootloader, but for now, you have it.

Who is this for?
    Devs, enthusiasts, flashaholics, people that know what they're doing.

Who this is not for?
    Average Joes, those who want to take very little risk with their phones, those who don't know what they're doing or what potential an engineering bootloader has outside of basebands, and those who don't like seeing a bunch of engineering text when booting up, into recovery, or into download mode.

Instructions:
    Again, make sure you are already on NC5 or NC5D.
    Flash with Odin.
    Profit.

Download:
    NC5 engineering bootloader
    I want to thank you for all your work and time Freeza. Here is something in appreciation for your time, rom, leaks, kernel.... confirmation 6TX83637NM934200U. Thank you once again.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Helloooo Hey can someone please explain the difference between NC5 and NC5(D) firmware and how can I get NC5(D). Because I see the beast-mood kernel say NC5(D) but my baseband just say NC5

Baseband is modem, kernel is what the phone does and calls on boot.

As to the D, in the paraphrased words of the OP of the leak thread, no one knows.

If you flashed both update zips from stock and didn't flash any custom kernel, in about phone you'd be on a kernel that would show a date, your SeLinux status would show enforcing, your software version and modem would show NC5D. If you flashed a custom kernel, you'd show whatever the kernel dev wanted you to see in the about phone (the build date, what version of Linux was used to make it, etc), SeLinux might show permissive, but your modem and software version would still show the same build, NC5D.

If you only took the one update zip, the above would be identical except wherever it indicates NC5, your phone would show NC5.

If you flash the open engineering bootloader, you can flash different modems, including NAB and MJ4 (thus your baseband would now show either of those instead of what was there before you flashed it.

See below for reference (I'm on NC5D, open bootloader, custom kernel, DeOdex custom ROM, no change in modem)...

ezanaty9.jpg

The net effect of all of this means that as long as you are on either NC5 or NC5D, you'll have WiFi calling, a better contacts listing (it's now showing all letters of the alphabet, including M, didn't on NAB), and you can flash any rom intended for NC5 or NC5D. There are only a few as of this writing, but the list is growing swiftly.
    You likely shouldn't flash mods intended for NAB or older (Jellybean) OS builds unless you know the mod and what it's changing.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    It will allow flashing of the baseband, and if you choose to stay on nc5 and not nc5d, then you won't need to flash the update because the stock rooted as well as the baseband are on the way.

Stock rooted NC5 on the way? That's awesome! You're the man!
    Here I have with me the engineering bootloader for our Galaxy Note 3. It is version NC5 so as long as you're on a
    NC5 engineering bootloader

Thanks freeza.