Wiping from MOBILE ODIN PRO is safe. Need confirmation.

Search This thread

rjrjzozo

Apr 5, 2008
Guys. Flashing Official Andoird 4.0.3 on Note and WIPING with Mobile ODIN pro is safe. I flashed 7 Note and wiped (BY MOBILE ODIN PRO !!! not in recovery !!!) until now and no bricks so far. Verified and these devices have all the 0x19 rev.

I think it's due to the fact that MOBILE ODIN PRO uses its own kernel : when you launch the operation (from your previous rom, rooted of course) you can see MOP flashing a kernel before rebooting . And if you have checked the "WIPE DATA and CACHE", MOP wipes the device using this kernel, not the old kernel. Neither the new kernel because it is still inside its kernel when doing the wiping.

If you check inside the SDCARD of the Note you can see the file "eu.chainfire.mobileodin.flashkernel.n7000.v2". This file is the same that MOP uses since the GB days. So I guess it's a GB kernel. Perhaps it's a specific kernel made by Chainfire. But i'm sure it has nothing to do with ICS so it's hardbrick bug free. But it's the kernel that MOP uses when flashing and wiping.

Last edited:

Alejandrissimo

Jan 12, 2011
unlock-bootloader.com
Guys. Flashing Official Andoird 4.0.3 on Note and WIPING with Mobile ODIN pro is safe. I flashed 7 Note and wiped (BY MOBILE ODIN PRO !!! not in recovery !!!) until now and no bricks so far. Verified and these devices have all the 0x19 rev.

I think it's due to the fact that MOBILE ODIN PRO uses its own kernel : when you launch the operation (from your previous rom, rooted of course) you can see MOP flashing a kernel before rebooting . And if you have checked the "WIPE DATA and CACHE", MOP wipes the device using this kernel, not the old kernel. Neither the new kernel because it is still inside its kernel when doing the wiping.

If you check inside the SDCARD of the Note you can see the file "eu.chainfire.mobileodin.flashkernel.n7000.v2". This file is the same that MOP uses since the GB days. So I guess it's a GB kernel. Perhaps it's a specific kernel made by Chainfire. But i'm sure it has nothing to do with ICS so it's hardbrick bug free. But it's the kernel that MOP uses when flashing and wiping.

Right you are, Mobile Odin uses a hot boot kernel to make the magic so YES IT's SAFE.

rigor.m

Nov 27, 2008
I flashed JPY the same way wiping with Mobile Odin Pro and encountered no problems. But I never had any custom ROM or kernel installed and I have only flashed my Note 2 times, so the risk of breaking something was low...
Maybe people that need to perform a wipe on ICS stock rom should do it by reflashing (+wipe) the same rom with Mobile Odin Pro ?

yllivia

Jul 26, 2009
Stockholm
I flashed LPY rom together with cf 5.3 via mobile pro and i also wiped the data upon flashing it. That went well... No problems... I'm still on LPY rom and i haven't experienced a single FC. But it would surely be nice to get rid of the emmc bug 100%. Franco and speedmod kernel disabled emmc erase and it is a nice workaround and a step towards the Happy and safe flashing of ics roms...

Alexanderbooth

Apr 5, 2011
I flashed via mobile odin and did full wipes, I also did a full wipe from samsung menu when ics had booted, and had no problems. But people say on here it doesn't always happen.

rjrjzozo

Apr 5, 2008
Risky method

I flashed via mobile odin and did full wipes, I also did a full wipe from samsung menu when ics had booted, and had no problems. But people say on here it doesn't always happen.

Your method is risky because you wipe using the ICS bugged kernel. I are lucky these times. Next time you'll got brick. Safest is WIPING from Mobile Odin. 100 % safe.

darthvedor

XeOniFiCaTiOn

May 28, 2012
Bangalore
I got my note from KSA. Since i have no warrenty i decided to go for Custom CFW's . I used PC ODIN .85 to move from my Stock(KSA region) Rom to GB 2.3.6 Stock rooted non wipe(Indian Region ) ROM . I then downloaded Mobile ODIN Pro and pointed at N7000XXLPY_N7000OXALPY_DBT firmware with CF-Root-SGN_ZS_OZS_LPF-v5.3-CWM5 kernel. Once it upgraded to ICS and reached the home screen. I booted into CWM and wiped my factory,cache and dalvik. I installed TheMIDTeam1.3_FINAL from the Internal card itself. It was the smoothest move and faced absolutely no problems. I updated TMT through CWM. Running on TMT1.4 Update 2 now. The OS has really become slick. i am reading a lot about imeka's PA rom. HOpe to get the soon if there are ROM control options. I want to change my density of the display.

friedje

Oct 29, 2006
Chartres
and what keeps you from changing the density ?

on topic : it would be nice if chainfire could confirm that flashing with mobile odin pro uses it's own hot kernel for doing so, and not the currently installed kernel...

Last edited:

l0rd_almighty

Jan 3, 2012
Does this mean that if you used Mobile Odin Pro to upgrade to ICS, your left with using an "outdated" kernel? Or is mobile odin just modifying the new one everytime you flash a new rom? When I check my kernel version in the settings is shows

3.0.15-n7000xxlpy-cl474507
se.infra@sep-103 #3
smp preempt fri may 4 04:49:06 KST 2012

Last edited:

friedje

Oct 29, 2006
Chartres
No what it means is that MO uses it's own kernel for flashing and wiping independent from what kernel you are actually running or flashing.

I flashed LPY from within MO having a GB previously installed.
I never did a Wipe, so I suppose to still be ok.

Now I will wait some nice custom roms coming out with safe kernels.
Shouldn't be for too long now..

Reactions: DPMAce

Alexanderbooth

Apr 5, 2011
Few users on Indian ICS updates (LP8) have reported the same. Does it mean sammy has silently fixed the eMMC bug (which bricks the phone)? In that case its a very good news.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1674930&page=3

I used the german version to flash so probably not, probably just got lucky. But saying that I've never actually heard anyone say exactly what it is that causes the bricking. I have only flashed from stock gb to stock ics and thats it. Its still strange how it doesn't happen to everyone when they wipe, the emmc thing is obviously not the only factor in the situation, especially seeing as the same command is active in GB aswell.

rjrjzozo

Apr 5, 2008
Yes, wiping from MO is safe...if you get to that point without a brick.
Problem is that MO uses the bad kernel to flash its own, and that is very dangerous.

But MO uses a kernel wich is the same as before theses dangerous kernels came out. This kernel is located on the root of the sdcard. No matter you are on GB, ICS official or CM9 , the file that MO flashes before rebooting is the same.So i guess it's a GB kernel. So when it wipes the Data partition the new dangerous kernel isn't used. Neither the kernel used in the previous rom.

friedje

Oct 29, 2006
Chartres
But MO uses a kernel wich is the same as before theses dangerous kernels came out. This kernel is located on the root of the sdcard. No matter you are on GB, ICS official or CM9 , the file that MO flashes before rebooting is the same.So i guess it's a GB kernel. So when it wipes the Data partition the new dangerous kernel isn't used. Neither the kernel used in the previous rom.

I suppose chasmodo meant to say that if you choose to install MO while already being on a buggy ICS then that is dangerous....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

doesn't touch the external SD neither the internal. Only DATA and CACHE are wiped
    No what it means is that MO uses it's own kernel for flashing and wiping independent from what kernel you are actually running or flashing.

I flashed LPY from within MO having a GB previously installed.
    I never did a Wipe, so I suppose to still be ok.

Now I will wait some nice custom roms coming out with safe kernels.
    Shouldn't be for too long now..
    You are wrong. Mobile Odin hot-boot his own kernel from start. So the buggy kernel installed is not used, in fact MO kernel is not even flashed just loaded into ram.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Since this hot-boot kernel is based on an old GB kernek it's safe to wipe from MO.

Here we are talking about WIPING. Flashing using official LpY is not dangerous. Only wiping using theses kernels can brick your device if you belong to the 5-10% unlucky.

People get their Note bricked because they update to official Ics and only after they wipe. If you use Pc Odin it is likely that you need wipe from stock recovery or menu setting if you have some fc's after Ics update. So to not loose time and to be totaly safe the best solution getting officiel Ics is to flash and wipe from MO. Until a safe kernel.