[DIY] SmartAss Cover for your Asus TF101

Search This thread

MrNago

Apr 4, 2011
Madrid
Yup, it's here, and you can do it!
Hope you enjoy it!

Don't carve your cases/buy any special thin strong magnet until you're sure you have the functionality you want!

Jelly Bean!
Some users reporting it works great. In my XP, it works perfectly on RaymanFX's JB rom.

-On ICS:
Some roms:
Lock+Wake - Same functionality as in iDevices!
Tested on: Megatron Rom, (derived from CM9)
May work perfectly on your ICS rom.

On some ICS roms:
It will work the opposite way.
Meaning that the device will unlock (wake) when the magnet gets closer to the screen,instead of further away (like Apple's, or other ICS roms)

-Non-ICS roms:
This only WAKES the device, doesn't unlock it.
If you want unlock you can set locking method to None in the preferences.
It does NOT Lock the device on honeycomb roms.

Last edited:

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
Don't get it. So just placing a magnet on those coordinates on the tablet will make it do this?

justmara

Feb 21, 2011
doh! but the main question I have it - WHATS THE COVER? how is it named and where did you got it? I cannot find any transformer-related case with such thin borders and not covering its face at all.

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
So THAT'S how the Tablet knows when you hinge it up from the keyboard when docked!

Cunning Cunning....

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
Don't get it. So just placing a magnet on those coordinates on the tablet will make it do this?
The case emulates the opening of the lid on the keyboard dock which wakes the tab. The keyboard has a magnet on the dock that corresponds to the coordinates on the tablet. He says this in the video with the little stringy things floating around.

xuser

Jan 18, 2007
San Diego
This mod would work great in conjunction with Power Switch, which sleeps the tablet when you close the cover.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1288528

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MrNago

Apr 4, 2011
Madrid
This mod + power switch App + Unlonk with Wifi App (free on GetJar at the moment) = same functionality as the original Smart Cover :)
Edit: better , as it only unlocks when you want it to, and you can customize the whole thing.

Tecnofilo

Feb 2, 2011
Hi, until today the mod great , I haven´t got dock, but I today I upgrade to ICS 4 and this mod don´t work.
The person with dock, ok, but If you haven´t got dock, it don´t work ¡¡

what happens ??

flipado

Jan 19, 2009
SmartAss Cover does't work in Ice cream if not connected the dock.
Has anyone found a solution?

Last edited:

udupa82

Aug 8, 2011
Works on ICS also

It works on ICS also as a proof i just posted a video on youtube.

search for "Asus Transformer TF101 Magnetic unlock"

Reactions: MrNago

AstroTrain

Apr 13, 2011
Say it ain't so, just bought the magnetic earth magnets from DX which will probably take 6 months for delivery but removing this option will be a turd,

my power button is flaking out, takes atleast two jabs for off/on this magnetic trick would have been a great bypass.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yup, it's here, and you can do it!
    Hope you enjoy it!

Don't carve your cases/buy any special thin strong magnet until you're sure you have the functionality you want!

Jelly Bean!
    Some users reporting it works great. In my XP, it works perfectly on RaymanFX's JB rom.

-On ICS:
    Some roms:
    Lock+Wake - Same functionality as in iDevices!
    Tested on: Megatron Rom, (derived from CM9)
    May work perfectly on your ICS rom.

On some ICS roms:
    It will work the opposite way.
    Meaning that the device will unlock (wake) when the magnet gets closer to the screen,instead of further away (like Apple's, or other ICS roms)

-Non-ICS roms:
    This only WAKES the device, doesn't unlock it.
    If you want unlock you can set locking method to None in the preferences.
    It does NOT Lock the device on honeycomb roms.
    Tried this with my ROM and it works as it should
    Magnet close to the tab puts it to sleep
    Magnet far from the tab wakes it up and bypasses lockscreen
    Works on ICS also

YEAH! now only works if you haven't lock screen/pattern/password to unlock ;)

change this in options-security
    I am ready to do an incision on my case but can you please explain more of what to expect when I cut the surface and some tips perhaps?
    I want mine to be as nice as possible. My mom brought the case so I don't want to ruin it :p
    Do you have to pull some of the material out before you can insert the magnet?

Yes, you have to make some space in the case in order for the magnet to fit in.
    Anyway, try it yourself first only with the magnet, carefully or covered in some soft tape (or blacktape like in the previous example, 2 posts above) so that you dont damage the screen.

On a sidenote, works great for me on RaymnFX's JellyBean (it's AOSP based)

So glad you guys liked the idea :D