[Q] I know nothing. Please Help?

Search This thread

thefonta

Jul 4, 2014
Hello everyone,

I apologize for making this the noobest posts of all, but I know nothing at all. I've rooted my Kindle once, didn't know how, didn't know why, or what I gained from it. I only wanted to be able for starters to change the hideous lock screen pictures, then the apps, then install google play apps and ended up with a messed up Kindle Fire HDX.

Passed days looking for guides to restore it, and everytime tutorials were expecting me to have TWLR or other things that I didn't..
I ended up doing a factory reset and removing stuff manually.

So now, what is my Kindle FireHDX Situation? It's version is 13.3.2.4 and I simply want to open it up to more possibilities, I want to add apps that are not original from Amazon, I wanna be able to access it and add files and docs and book that otherwise he wouldn't let me.

I tried searching for guides, and just got lost between Thor, Apollo, and who know what else. Also, I'm on a Mac and that narrows down so many tutorials..

Can anyone help me out figuring what I really want?How to obtain it?And what would be the best way?
My wife has an iPad and basically can do anything, I have a kindle and I can't even put an Alarm Clock on it!!

I wanna be able to use google play apps, access like with ES Explorer, and whatever else could be useful. I just find going through all these threads very difficult and for people with advance knowledge.

Can I hope for someone?

ferrouskid

Mar 12, 2014
Hello everyone,

I apologize for making this the noobest posts of all, but I know nothing at all. I've rooted my Kindle once, didn't know how, didn't know why, or what I gained from it. I only wanted to be able for starters to change the hideous lock screen pictures, then the apps, then install google play apps and ended up with a messed up Kindle Fire HDX.

Passed days looking for guides to restore it, and everytime tutorials were expecting me to have TWLR or other things that I didn't..

So now, what is my Kindle FireHDX Situation? It's version is 13.3.2.4 and I simply want to open it up to more possibilities, I want to add apps that are not original from Amazon, I wanna be able to access it and add files and docs and book that otherwise he wouldn't let me.

I tried searching for guides, and just got lost between Thor, Apollo, and who know what else. Also, I'm on a Mac and that narrows down so many tutorials..

Can anyone help me out figuring what I really want?How to obtain it?And what would be the best way?
My wife has an iPad and basically can do anything, I have a kindle and I can't even put an Alarm Clock on it!!

I wanna be able to use google play apps, access like with ES Explorer, and whatever else could be useful. I just find going through all these threads very difficult and for people with advance knowledge.

Can I hope for someone?
well done for asking. I'm no master but one thing i will tell you, is NEVER EVER, and I repeat, EVER modify the build.prop. In case ytou don't know what that is, it is the file that defines the whole device, in which the whole description of the kindle is. I modified mine, and to cut long story short- I don't have a kindle anymore. The easiest and safest way to root kindle is TowelRoot or VRoot, but be very, extremly careful. Once you root kindle, you can get Gplay apk and install it. https://mega.co.nz/#!hJ8ynBKI!aYGtlxZNcO4BvDSsNyAk7DOj6ppHE5apNaVcAktPmAk
Here is the link to mega. you can download the app and install it as you would with any sideload app. To do that you need to locate it using ESFile explorer which you can download on the Amazon market. then click on the file in downloads, and install it. viola.

INSTRUCTIONS (at your own risk)

Step one:
Since you have a Mac you can get virtualbox.It is hard, but it is doable to install Windows on that, or Linux if you are a pro. or there are apps that you can buy to run windows on Mac, which cost like 20 dollars I think?

Step Two: Get V-Root. http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot NOTICE: Many devs you MUST be carefull, so do so at your own risk. V-Root is kinda infamous. It works though!

Step 3: Connect kindle to Mac and click the big button on V-Root, which is a one-click rooting software that worked for me. For me personally, I didn't get it from first time, i tried numerous times. If things don't work, do not try anything by yourself, that is how I bricked the kindle. Follow step by step instructions. Really.

Step 4: Once you have gained root, get Titanium backup, and backup your files. But be extremly carefull. My personal suggestion, just get Gplay, SU, and a launcher to add to the experience. If you don't particularly care for custom ROMs, don't get them, stick on this one and be safe.

Step 5: Optional, but usefull. You should block the update websites from which the updates come from- but that doesn't necessarily do the trick, if you connect to someone elses wifi. http://androidcowboy.com/2014/01/how-to-block-kindle-fire-hdx-updates/
this might be useful. now please, be very careful, if you don't know something, don't do it. Ask : don't mess with ROMs. Have fun!

ADVICE.
to gain a nexus-like experience you can get launchers, the best ones are nova launcher and apex launcher, they genuinely give an android experience. you can set them as ALWAYS so you never see that ugly amazon launcher ever again. you can also get custom lock screen, and forget you have a kindle, power of kindle- looks of nexus. also, even without root you can get some launchers, something the iPad can't. Just saying XD .
there are many apps out there, but be carefull with what you pick.
Clock?
Widgets? You can get all that in the play store- if the play store is there, it is going to be just fine in this sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krizzii

ptrsnshane

Dec 13, 2013
Hello everyone,

Can I hope for someone?
Follow these steps in this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53512259

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app

thefonta

Jul 4, 2014
well done for asking. I'm no master but one... going to be just fine in this sense.

Thank you very much for all the info. I installed TWLR with ESFile and the GPlay file you gave me in the link. But nothing pops out now, how do I find google play files?And how about the SU how do I find that and what do I use it for?Any advice for the Launcher as well?
The rest seems to be working for now!

thefonta

Jul 4, 2014
Plus I just installed as per Cowboy tutorial Googleplay and again it keeps crashing saying that it doesn't connect etc etc.. I hate this kindle. I just find it completely useless..

ptrsnshane

Dec 13, 2013
Plus I just installed as per Cowboy tutorial Googleplay and again it keeps crashing saying that it doesn't connect etc etc.. I hate this kindle. I just find it completely useless..

Sorry I overlooked that you were using Mac. Did you install the hdxposed module?

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app

ptrsnshane

Dec 13, 2013
Go to framework click install then go to modules enable hdxposed and reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

ptrsnshane

Dec 13, 2013
You should be able to install and connect to Google playstore

thefonta

Jul 4, 2014
You should be able to install and connect to Google playstore

I installed google playstore but some apps it just says it needs access to the store or that my device isnt correct for these apps and to contact manufacturer..

Am I supposed to install something else with google playstore?or a certain google playstore apk?

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
ok

Any way you can help me?I'm stil stuck..
okay from what I read from above and experience it does not appear as though you have followed the directions because if you had you would not be getting those messages. Read the first few posts on this page is says to open up your framework make sure framework is installed(it will state in red if not) tap on the word framework above in the header scroll down to modules open make sure there is a checkmark next to the HDxposed module. back up to your framework menu and Reboot

Last edited:

thefonta

Jul 4, 2014
okay from what I read from above and experience it does not appear as though you have followed the directions because if you had you would not be getting those messages. Read the first few posts on this page is says to open up your framework tap on the word framework above in the header scroll down to modules open make sure there is a checkmark next to the HDxposed module back up to your framework menu and Reboot

That's exactly what I did! Some apps work some don't.. that's the wierd thing.

Reactions: 50mmlosangeles

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
have you

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2787813
A whole thread devoted to getting gapps going .plus ther is a flashable version here somewhere in general. I have gapps on all my devices 3hdx but none of which all parts of full google work .. Quite enough for me though.I have a few other samsung devices so im not dependent the hdx for gapps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

Can I hope for someone?
    well done for asking. I'm no master but one thing i will tell you, is NEVER EVER, and I repeat, EVER modify the build.prop. In case ytou don't know what that is, it is the file that defines the whole device, in which the whole description of the kindle is. I modified mine, and to cut long story short- I don't have a kindle anymore. The easiest and safest way to root kindle is TowelRoot or VRoot, but be very, extremly careful. Once you root kindle, you can get Gplay apk and install it. https://mega.co.nz/#!hJ8ynBKI!aYGtlxZNcO4BvDSsNyAk7DOj6ppHE5apNaVcAktPmAk
    Here is the link to mega. you can download the app and install it as you would with any sideload app. To do that you need to locate it using ESFile explorer which you can download on the Amazon market. then click on the file in downloads, and install it. viola.

INSTRUCTIONS (at your own risk)

Step one:
    Since you have a Mac you can get virtualbox.It is hard, but it is doable to install Windows on that, or Linux if you are a pro. or there are apps that you can buy to run windows on Mac, which cost like 20 dollars I think?

Step Two: Get V-Root. http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot NOTICE: Many devs you MUST be carefull, so do so at your own risk. V-Root is kinda infamous. It works though!

Step 3: Connect kindle to Mac and click the big button on V-Root, which is a one-click rooting software that worked for me. For me personally, I didn't get it from first time, i tried numerous times. If things don't work, do not try anything by yourself, that is how I bricked the kindle. Follow step by step instructions. Really.

Step 4: Once you have gained root, get Titanium backup, and backup your files. But be extremly carefull. My personal suggestion, just get Gplay, SU, and a launcher to add to the experience. If you don't particularly care for custom ROMs, don't get them, stick on this one and be safe.

Step 5: Optional, but usefull. You should block the update websites from which the updates come from- but that doesn't necessarily do the trick, if you connect to someone elses wifi. http://androidcowboy.com/2014/01/how-to-block-kindle-fire-hdx-updates/
    this might be useful. now please, be very careful, if you don't know something, don't do it. Ask : don't mess with ROMs. Have fun!

ADVICE.
    to gain a nexus-like experience you can get launchers, the best ones are nova launcher and apex launcher, they genuinely give an android experience. you can set them as ALWAYS so you never see that ugly amazon launcher ever again. you can also get custom lock screen, and forget you have a kindle, power of kindle- looks of nexus. also, even without root you can get some launchers, something the iPad can't. Just saying XD .
    there are many apps out there, but be carefull with what you pick.
    Clock?
    Widgets? You can get all that in the play store- if the play store is there, it is going to be just fine in this sense.
    okay from what I read from above and experience it does not appear as though you have followed the directions because if you had you would not be getting those messages. Read the first few posts on this page is says to open up your framework tap on the word framework above in the header scroll down to modules open make sure there is a checkmark next to the HDxposed module back up to your framework menu and Reboot