System Update 4.08.605.2

Search This thread

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
What is it and why am I getting this prompt? I'm rooted with 2.3.4

Obviously I shouldn't accept this update but does anyone know what this is?

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

sbstnwright

Nov 16, 2011
Hi. I am new.
I just installed the ROM 2.3.4 last night that was posted in the xda forum(upgraded manually from 2.2 on a Unrevoked rooted Dinc).
I installed the 4.06 ROM and I am reading the official was 4.08...
Do I need another upgrade? Or is this 'the' upgrade that is for root users?

Not trying to steal your post ugxvibe. :) both of our questions might have similar answers.

d-pabs

Dec 11, 2010
if you update will you lose root control? What about all the apps? I'm most concerned about not being able to tether...

d-pabs

Dec 11, 2010
how do I do that? Through rom manager?

Is there a way to stop the update reminder from popping up without actually installing it? I'm afraid I might mess up my phone and don't want to risk losing everything g on it.

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN

Is there a way to stop the update reminder from popping up without actually installing it? I'm afraid I might mess up my phone and don't want to risk losing everything g on it.

Yes thru rom manager.

You can dissable the notifications by editing your /system/build.prop file. Look for:

ro.config.htc.nocheckin = 0

and change the 0 to a 1. If you dont see that line add it somewhere in the file.

Reactions: loonatik78

NetGoo

Sep 22, 2009
I went to make the nocheckin = 1 modification, but I already had it, and I'm still getting the update notifications. Not even sure how it got there. All I've done is root with Unrevoked, maybe that does the edit?

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I went to make the nocheckin = 1 modification, but I already had it, and I'm still getting the update notifications. Not even sure how it got there. All I've done is root with Unrevoked, maybe that does the edit?

It should have worked, you may need to clear the cache partition. Or there is another method go to /etc/security and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

iowabeakster

Apr 11, 2011
Like what was said above...

If you have Clockwork or some other custom recovery, if you just allow it to update when prompted, it will not install and will cause no other problems. You must have the stock recovery in order for the update to install.

It CANNOT install if you don't have the stock recovery.

But, I would also go into the /cache directory and find the update file and zap it (It will be obvious). I just use ADB and "rm" it from my PC. You could use root explorer or something. Otherwise you will have a big update file just sitting there and hogging space.

clutchdroid

Nov 22, 2011
im rooted n using the clockworld mod for roms, I attempted to run the 4.08 update from User wildstang following the instructions but after installing the update n rebooting it just sits at "Dorid incredible" white screen and never boots. I may be doing something wrong here, can someone break it down for me? suggestions?

NOTE: I use CWMR 5X. Some wipe options below are not included in earlier recovery versions. Still wipe what is available the best you can.
1. Put the Rom on the root of your SD Card
2. Compare MD5 Sum
Windows: MD5 Calculator
LINUX: Open Terminal and type: md5sum [path to the rom on your sd card]
Mac: Open a terminal and type: md5 [path to the rom on your sd card]
3. Reboot to Recovery
4. Wipe these:
Main Screen:
wipe data/factory reset - x2
wipe cache partition - x2

Advanced:
Wipe Dalvik Cache - x3
Wipe Battery Stats - optional

Mounts and Storage:
Format-
/boot - x2
/system - x2
/datadata - x2
/data - x2
/cache - x2
5. Install Rom from SD Card by going back and selecting install from SD card.
6. Reboot and enjoy!

followed each step to the letter but still wont boot : /

Last edited:

clutchdroid

Nov 22, 2011
Ok i changed nothing in the method of installing the rom and for whatever reason it worked!! 4.08 now phone is 10X faster and im loving it. Only issue i see now is i cannot get back into clockworld mod! why is that? i hold down power and vol down for a long time and when release it just starts the boot sequence any suggestions?

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Ok i changed nothing in the method of installing the rom and for whatever reason it worked!! 4.08 now phone is 10X faster and im loving it. Only issue i see now is i cannot get back into clockworld mod! why is that? i hold down power and vol down for a long time and when release it just starts the boot sequence any suggestions?

Uncheck fastboot in menu > applications.

Reactions: clutchdroid

spitzaf

Nov 11, 2011
Longmont, CO

I had the same problem, but after two times running the install its still getting the hang. Hopefully I'll get better luck on try #3.

Did you figure out what caused the temporary issue?

Last edited:

d-pabs

Dec 11, 2010
Yes thru rom manager.

You can dissable the notifications by editing your /system/build.prop file. Look for:

and change the 0 to a 1. If you dont see that line add it somewhere in the file.

OK I've found the file you're talking about and it doesn't have that line in it so I need to add it. I can't easily get access to a computer right now to run the command line on my phone so i have been trying to use the terminal emulator instead. It says I doesn't have a text editor...is there a way to edit via the emulator? Do you wkno which commands to use?

Thanks again

d-pabs

Dec 11, 2010
Yep, still having a minor issue with this. I have added the line suggested and I have cleared my cache yet I still get periodic prompts to install the update. I'm not really keen on doing so. Can anyone else suggest a way to stop the (weekly) prompts?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash wildstangs 4.08.605.2 ota rom. It is the newest ota update, but already rooted.

Yes thru rom manager.

Uncheck fastboot in menu > applications.