Android on Xperia - Is it worth it?

Search This thread

realaxed

Oct 21, 2007
Chicago
I've been seeing a lot of activity of android development for windows mobile and I wanted to know if I should even bother loading Android on my device.

So I have a few general questions.

1. Can someone tell me how fast android runs on xperia? The reason I ask is because WM is great, but only when it's not lagging or freezing. I'm guessing it would lag just as much or more than WM since it's running on top of WM. (though some of my reading says that android is "not" runing at the same time as WM?)

2. At this point the main features Android on Xperia lacks is:
-reliable battery
-gps (According to this article gps should be coming soon to xperia right?)
-bluetooth?
-camera

3. Once all the above features are working it will be possible to make an android rom for the xperia?

That's it.

If Android is not too slow and the GPS and battery issue is fixed then I can see myself using Android on my Xperia.

Thanks in advanced for those who reply.

Hannigan174

Mar 14, 2008
If you want a real phone OS you have to stick to WM for now. Android is "emulated" through Haret from within WM. Haret is supposed to reboot the device and make it so the device boots into Android, but it only runs off of the SD card. If you run an ultra-lite ROM it is almost like you are running an Android ROM, but it is still patchwork and the kernel is incomplete. So it will be a little slow and there will be some missing capabilities.

There has been a very promising improvement since the Xperoid began, and it is perfectly safe to test, but it is not yet ready for daily use, in my opinion.

Last edited:

ilgreco112

Jul 5, 2009
Liège
I've been seeing a lot of activity of android development for windows mobile and I wanted to know if I should even bother loading Android on my device.

So I have a few general questions.

1. Can someone tell me how fast android runs on xperia? The reason I ask is because WM is great, but only when it's not lagging or freezing. I'm guessing it would lag just as much or more than WM since it's running on top of WM. (though some of my reading says that android is "not" runing at the same time as WM?)

2. At this point the main features Android on Xperia lacks is:
-reliable battery
-gps (According to this article gps should be coming soon to xperia right?)
-bluetooth?
-camera

3. Once all the above features are working it will be possible to make an android rom for the xperia?

That's it.

If Android is not too slow and the GPS and battery issue is fixed then I can see myself using Android on my Xperia.

Thanks in advanced for those who reply.

1. Android is better than WM, and Faster.
2. Battery is almost fixed, GPS and Camera are coming after fixing battery.
3. when Android is working fine a ROM will be made naturally.

personally, I dont need GPS or camera. :D

flamingsamurai

Nov 8, 2009
Minus GPS and camera, which are two things which I really only use about once a week, Android is a perfectly acceptable replacement for WM. Battery will not get you through the day though.

Really it's not that hard to try it out, just give it a go and see if you like it. Keep in mind there will always be improvements being made.

wormy315

Oct 2, 2009
Bristol
At the moment, Android is just for fun. It's a really nice OS, and the work thats being done on this forum is staggering considering its being done by people UNPAID, and IN THERE OWN TIME! Sorry just like to stress that point to people who moan... Huge teams of HTC employees are on 60-70K a year writing code that these guys will probably end up doing a better job of for free, but I digress...

If you want to play around with HTC Sense on Android, which is my current toy, you have to make do without Wifi, GPS, Camera, but I don't experience the huge drop in battery life that everyone else does. Maybe I'm just lucky. If you're patient and wait for everything to load, I'd say that it is actually faster than WinMo. The Clean/Glossy versions have a greater capabilty (you get wifi and such like) and are even faster. Probably best to try that one first. Hope that answers your first two questions.

To the last, we're a long way off a ROM, but if things progress at their current rate I don't see why we can't have one some time before we all retire our Xperia's.

To your thread title, as long as you don't expect too much at this stage and you are willing to accept that this is just a "proof of concept" there's no reason not to try it. All you're loosing is half a GB on storage space on you're SD... And the more people that try it, the quicker bugs can be ironed out, and the major things like camera and GPS can be fixed.

verden

Jul 23, 2009
Android is worth the workload. It's running smoth on the X1 and much better than WinMobile. Thanks to the developers.

SlowlyDead

Jan 19, 2008
I don't know why it has to Windows Mobile OR Android.
I for once really like the ability to have a multi-os system.
Therefor I try often new Xperoid builds and am quite impressed by the improvement.
Thanks to everyone working on it !

Greetings

SlowlyDead