SlingMobile is awesome

Search This thread

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have used SlingMobile in my last four phones (TouchPro, TouchPro 2, DroidX, Rezound) and the app really kicks major butt in the Rezound using 4g.

I have the newest HD Slingbox and with 4g service the picture is outstanding.

I have two different inputs I can select from, standard cable and an HD cable box. If I use the standard cable input, a viewer at home can be watching a different channel than I am watching but the picture is lower quality.

I even get perfect TV reception while driving down the road in my truck. My Wife watched a movie in HD HBO on demand while we drove on a 3 hour trip last week.

~John

jim_0068

Jul 12, 2009
Do you have unlimited data? Curious to know the bandwidth usage.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
what exactly is the app? ive heard of it but never really looked into what it was exactly. Sorry, im on the road right now LOL

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I have used SlingMobile in my last four phones (TouchPro, TouchPro 2, DroidX, Rezound) and the app really kicks major butt in the Rezound using 4g.

I have the newest HD Slingbox and with 4g service the picture is outstanding.

I have two different inputs I can select from, standard cable and an HD cable box. If I use the standard cable input, a viewer at home can be watching a different channel than I am watching but the picture is lower quality.

I even get perfect TV reception while driving down the road in my truck. My Wife watched a movie in HD HBO on demand while we drove on a 3 hour trip last week.

~John

It is people like you that caused the tiered caps.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
It is people like you that caused the tiered caps.

I have never used anywhere near the amount of data that a lot of the posters here use every month.

Last month, I used less than 4 gigs so I would have been fine even on my Wife's 4gig tiered plan.

I don't believe data hogs are what caused tiered data anyway, I attribute it to Verizons greed.

~John

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
By the way, I have had unlimited data since the first day it was available years ago and I also have the unlimited 4g hot spot so you can KMA with that attitude........

~John

Reactions: 1454

bigdad1963

Nov 20, 2011
Bluffton/Hilton Head area
Nice system, how much was the whole setup? And to my Michigan friend, please take down the logo if you're going to consistently work interactions in that manner, I don't want people to think all Wolverines are like that.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
It is called sarcasm bud.

seemed like you were being a jackass to me.
He's using the data on his smartphone with an app he purchased. He's not running a whole home network, which are the people that are abusing the data.

As for the slingbox, I got one last xmas, it died in march, 92 days after I activated it. Contacted sling, they told me they couldn't give me any tech support without either paying 30 bucks up front or adding the extended warranty for 50 bucks. Horrible customer service in my opinion.
I can say, that when it worked, it was great, never had any problems with it. But the fact that it only worked for 3 months is what was bad. If you get it, get the warranty. Just consider it part of the purchase price.
As a side note, with mine (the base model), it took over the dvr, so if someone was watching tv at home, if I changed the channel, they would have it changed as well. Works for me because I work nights.

remmy5r

May 12, 2011
don't think I'm going to fix it. CS has been bad and not sure I'll use it enough to warrant another 50bucks for the extended warranty.

Finally figured out my plex media server so I can just stream my shows from my computer.

Something else you can try (I use it for netflix because we dont have tv) is to run an hdmi cable from your comp to your tv and you will be able to watch whatever is running on your comp.

Reactions: nrfitchett4

john nance

Feb 10, 2007
Slingbox has had big problems with defective equipment. It is much easier and cheaper to look up their problems online and and fix it yourself or have a local electronics shop do it for you. There are online instructions to do this. I bought the parts I needed at radio shack and did it myself.

bjmjpl

Dec 5, 2008
Slingbox has had big problems with defective equipment. It is much easier and cheaper to look up their problems online and and fix it yourself or have a local electronics shop do it for you. There are online instructions to do this. I bought the parts I needed at radio shack and did it myself.

this and their customer service is ATROCIOUS....i dont think they care since Dish or whoever bought them...they wanted 100 bux to fix, after i spent 20 bux on a power adapter that wasnt the problem, and then if it broke after 90 days i was back to 100 again...and this was all 3 days after the warranty i bought expired...seriously...

so i researched and bought a brand new vulkano for 100 bux...works and is simply awesome as sling will not be getting another dollar from me...

just reminded still have to try the mobile app for vulkano...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have unlimited data? Curious to know the bandwidth usage.

Yes, I have unlimited data.

It would be virtually unuseable (same as Netflix) with most tiered data plans.

~John
    By the way, I have had unlimited data since the first day it was available years ago and I also have the unlimited 4g hot spot so you can KMA with that attitude........

~John
    If you don't want that to happen, you need a Slingbox with an internal tuner like the SB Pro or SB Pro HD.

~John

don't think I'm going to fix it. CS has been bad and not sure I'll use it enough to warrant another 50bucks for the extended warranty.

Finally figured out my plex media server so I can just stream my shows from my computer.

Something else you can try (I use it for netflix because we dont have tv) is to run an hdmi cable from your comp to your tv and you will be able to watch whatever is running on your comp.
    this and their customer service is ATROCIOUS....i dont think they care since Dish or whoever bought them...they wanted 100 bux to fix, after i spent 20 bux on a power adapter that wasnt the problem, and then if it broke after 90 days i was back to 100 again...and this was all 3 days after the warranty i bought expired...seriously...

so i researched and bought a brand new vulkano for 100 bux...works and is simply awesome as sling will not be getting another dollar from me...

just reminded still have to try the mobile app for vulkano...

The Vulkano mobile app works well and it's free.

I have a Vulkano also but I don't really like it.

~John