[MOD] Nexus 7 720p Video Recording

Search This thread

punshkin

Jan 6, 2010
yes it does, it is front facing though so you have to hold it reverse or take 720p videos of yourself

potblack2win

Aug 20, 2008
London
ok hillbeast, this has the fix that doesn't crash the camera app when enabling time-lapse from 720.
thanks blownart for that fix and kitsunisan for pointing that out..
dev-host http://d-h.st/8Cw

Where do you push the file to /system/ system/apps or can you just install zip via Clockworkmod

donpippo

Jan 6, 2012
I apparently screwed up the edit, and my N7 hangs on the animation. Anyway to fix it from TWRP?

Jim

flash this zip from recovery

ok hillbeast, this has the fix that doesn't crash the camera app when enabling time-lapse from 720.
thanks blownart for that fix and kitsunisan for pointing that out..
dev-host http://d-h.st/8Cw

Where do you push the file to /system/ system/apps or can you just install zip via Clockworkmod

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

What do you mean by '!= high-quality video'? Do you mean it is blocky, or is it grainy from the camera itself? If it's blocky then I can turn the bitrate up some more to get a better quality encode and I can also switch to mp4 seing 3gp is a pretty rubbish container.

So can we replace 3gp with mp4 for save our video recording directly in mp4?

thanks

blownart

Aug 23, 2010
I should mention that I fixed the timelapse issue days before he mentioned it. I just never updated this thread.

8th Sept: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31265365&postcount=55

6th Sept: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/22833/

I'm not trying to steal credit, just mentioning that I had already fixed this issue.
Sorry, I have a habit to check only the first post like for roms, as they allways update the first post. Anyway the credit is all yours. I just wanted to let people know how to fix this issue if they encounter it. I edited the file also on root explorer btw, I think its the easiest way.
EDIT:
So can we replace 3gp with mp4 for save our video recording directly in mp4?
Just changed the fileFormat="3gp" to fileFormat="mp4" and it works! Altought have to test it to see the difference between the formats.

Last edited:
A

ace7196

Camera FCs

Flashed the zip via CWM.
Installed Camera for N7 as shown in the OP.

Camera FCs. Everything has the right permissions set. Ideas?
Running stock rooted 4.1.1

A

ace7196

Can you get a logcat of the crash?
http://pastebin.com/7bnp9UEQ

EDIT:
This it?
{com.google.android.gallery3d/com.android.camera.Camera}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?
I deleted gallery when I rooted. Should I reinstall the apk and odex, or can I declare the same activity?

EDIT #2:
Didn't feel like waiting for a response. After putting the apk and odex gallery files back, all is well :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too. It's a simple fix as it's not a limitation of hardware or a kernel function or anything, rather it's just Google didn't add the media profile for 720p to tell it how to use 720p.

What firmware does this need?

It doesn't matter. If you're on the original N7 firmware or the latest builds from Google, it still works just fine. I'm now on JOP40C and it works just fine. One update.zip fits all. I do suggest keeping your original file as a backup though as it plays up with OTA updates if you have this mod installed.

You don't need to install this if you are running a CM based firmware (CM10, etc) as I have pushed the patch to the CM repositories and it will be preloaded on your Nexus 7. And no, it's not them stealing credit, I pushed the patch to them.

Download Link

Update.zip: http://d-h.st/8Cw

Video For Your Delectation

media_profiles.xml got updated with JOP40C. hillbeast will have to update the OP with new files. ;) :good:
    No need. Works fine. Tested it myself and it works fine with no negative ramifications.

Here is what changed between JZO54K and JOP40C. Just 3 lines with a higher min framerate for the video codecs. Nothing extreme I guess, but could improve the encoding quality just slightly.

Attached are recovery flashable zips of your patched xml altered to reflect the JOP40C changes, and the Undo to revert back to 4.2 stock. JOP40D, JDQ39, and JWR66V are still exactly the same as this.

Edit: All stock KitKat builds also still have the same codec file as JOP40D.

[ Attachments removed since all custom ROMs now contain these fixes ]
    I have paranoid rom installed and there is 720p recording and it works out of the box, is this same like that or this is maybe better.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The 720p recording in all the ROMs now is because I submitted this page to CM. Any CM ROM has this mod now.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Nexus 7 720p Camera Instructions - no PC needed (rooted users only)

So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too.

720p video picture

Here are my instructions to do this without using a PC(for rooted users):
    I used ES File Expolorer (nice program available in the play store)
    1- Open ES File Explorer and head to /system/etc/
    2- Find the file media_profiles.xml and copy it (long press the file and select copy from the menu)
    3- Go into any other directory and paste it there (temporarily)
    4- Go back to the /system/etc/ directory again and rename the media_profiles.xml to media_profiles.xml.old and save it (long press the file and select rename from the menu
    5- Now go back to the directory you copied the file to and long press it. When the menu comes up select cut and go to the /system/etc directory and hit paste up at the top
    6- Now just click on the file you just pasted and a list of editors will pop up.
    7- Select ES Note Editor (it comes with ES File Explorer) and locate the section in the file where it says
    Code:
        <EncoderProfile quality="480p" fileFormat="3gp" duration="30">
          <Video codec="h264"
                 bitRate="4000000"
                 width="640"
                 height="480"
                 frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
                 bitRate="96000"
                 sampleRate="44100"
                 channels="1" />
        </EncoderProfile>

8- Add this code right after
    Code:
        <EncoderProfile quality="720p" fileFormat="3gp" duration="30">
          <Video codec="h264"
                 bitRate="16000000"
                 width="1280"
                 height="720"
                 frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
                 bitRate="128000"
                 sampleRate="48000"
                 channels="1" />
        </EncoderProfile>
    9- Once added click the back button on the bottom and a menu will show up on the bottom that asks you to save click that.
    10- Long press the file you just saved and select Properties at the bottom and make sure you give it the correct permissions (rw-r--r-- or chmod 644) by clicking the change button. There should be 4 check marks on that screen User read, User write, Group read, Other read. Click ok and ok again to save it.
    11- Reboot and enjoy.
    Don't thank me for this - thank hillbeast. If my instructions helped you then thank me too. Lol.

Thanks hillbeast - I also noticed that you cannot take a screenshot while in the camera program - gives you a sd card storage in use error. So I took this with my SGS2.
    hey hillbeast, post this one, I credited you in the updater-script
    goo.im- http://tinyw.in/udKH
    or from dev-host-http://d-h.st/hmD