Search This thread

CJHolderUK

Sep 21, 2012
Exeter
www.youtube.com

leventccc

Jan 31, 2011
Istanbul
I'm downloading rootfs.img right now but its very slow. Can anyone provide a mirror or url for downloading with download managers?

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
If anyone eventually gets a hold of the img's and can host them for us non-Ubuntu users that would be fantastic.. I might take the gamble of pushing them over without the help of an installer and see what happens. :good:

ldzman218

Mar 14, 2011
What does this do to recovery? Does it wipe anything from that section?

Sent from Saddam Hussein's hacked cave-radio setup

wildestpixel

Aug 25, 2011
London
Read the OMGUbuntu post and click the link at the bottom.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/ubuntu-installer-for-nexus-7-tablet-made-available-for-devs

Or click this link

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

Its a one click installer, just make sure you have an unlocked boot loader and a backup! :)

Note: You need Ubuntu to install Ubuntu on your Nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Need a non ubuntu way to install - i.e. a ubuntu user to cache the img files that are needed for a fastboot update so that Mac or Windows users can install via the SDK. Does anyone have image yet ?

CJHolderUK

Sep 21, 2012
Exeter
www.youtube.com
If anyone eventually gets a hold of the img's and can host them for us non-Ubuntu users that would be fantastic.. I might take the gamble of pushing them over without the help of an installer and see what happens. :good:

I've left home with only my 16gb N7 (android is currently more touch friendly) I'll upload them when I get home tomorrow, unless somebody does so before hand.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Only thing that I'm worried about is I saw a screen shot asking if you have a 16GB or 8GB Nexus 7.. I own a 32GB. Does this re-partition out your storage or something? It seems like the only logical reason why the installer would care about what version you are installing it on. Makes me wonder if fastbooting over the images without the installer would even work at this point.

leventccc

Jan 31, 2011
Istanbul
Only thing that I'm worried about is I saw a screen shot asking if you have a 16GB or 8GB Nexus 7.. I own a 32GB. Does this re-partition out your storage or something? It seems like the only logical reason why the installer would care about what version you are installing it on. Makes me wonder if fastbooting over the images without the installer would even work at this point.

After flashing it my sdcard got formatted. But I accidentally flashed the broken rootfs.img so I'm not sure if its my fault or ubuntu formats sdcard everytime.

Here is a pic
2ex3dhz.jpg

Reactions: BlindArtisan

sprogurt

Jan 27, 2011
I don't think I've been this excited with this tablet as I am now! I've been waiting for any Linux or webOS since I got it (1st batch of ebuyer here :D).

Also @leventccc, good phone and tablet combo there!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi xda

Hi xda,

I led the team that developed Ubuntu Core for the Nexus 7.

Currently; the only real reason to be using Ubuntu on the Nexus 7 would probably be for developers, and people who are just curious. Pretty sure the developer part was stated somewhere on Ubuntu's site, but I can't find the wording, although the Installation page states "In case anything happens while developing"

This poster got it right. The whole point of enabling Ubuntu on the Nexus 7 is to start a multi-year process to slim down the core OS and make it lean and mean. I call it "Ubuntu Pilates". :) As stated by our founder Mark Shuttleworth:

So I think it’s time to look at the core of Ubuntu and review it through a mobile lens: let’s measure our core platform by mobile metrics, things like battery life, number of running processes, memory footprint, and polish the rough edges that we find when we do that. The tighter we can get the core, the better we will do on laptops and the cloud, too.

This was mentioned on our blog too.

As for the slowness, I'm not exactly sure on the state of acceleration (the driver exists but doesn't work?), but I'm sure it will and can be improved upon, in time.

I'm not sure how people here started assuming that 3D acceleration doesn't exist, but we do indeed have 3D acceleration using the Nvidia Tegra 3 drivers for Xorg, otherwise Unity wouldn't run. That being said, we are of course aware that the user experience isn't optimal. And again, that is the entire point of what we are doing -- to set a performance baseline for ourselves on a piece of reference hardware, and see how much we can improve our core OS. Hopefully we can engage some community support around our efforts too, and it would be really great if the XDA community and the Ubuntu community worked together to build a great OS.

For now, please check out our wiki, and if you have questions or bug reports, we'd love to hear them too. Most Ubuntu developers aren't regular XDA readers (I myself only found this forum recently).

I would post links to our wiki and bug tracker, but the XDA forum software doesn't allow me to do so since I am a new user.

Thanks,
    Alex Chiang
    Read the OMGUbuntu post and click the link at the bottom.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/ubuntu-installer-for-nexus-7-tablet-made-available-for-devs

Or click this link

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

Its a one click installer, just make sure you have an unlocked boot loader and a backup! :)

Note: You need Ubuntu to install Ubuntu on your Nexus 7

To name a scenario; Google's Chrome browser does not work on Ubuntu ARM, saying something along the lines of "wrong architecture". The .deb is 32-bit, and Ubuntu on the Nexus 7 is also 32-bit, which means it must be a i386/ARM thing (that Chrome distribution being only for i386 systems, whereas we have ARM).

There must be a somewhat easy way to code for many types of architectures though, either that or Ubuntu on ARM is a lot more popular than I thought :p

"Desktop" is a misleading term, as it can mean many things. "Architecture" is the more proper term. The size (32 bit or 64 bit) is a property of the architecture, not something interesting on its own. Therefore, you can have 32-bit x86 programs, 64-bit x86 programs, 32-bit ARM programs, and 64-bit ARM programs.

You are correct in that programs compiled for x86 will not run on ARM CPUs. You must find programs that were compiled for ARM in order to run them on Ubuntu on the Nexus 7.

[side note, it is *usually* possible to write the same source code once, and then compile multiple (separate) times for different architectures. indeed, this is how the vast majority of Ubuntu code is built. we have one code base and compile it once per architecture, then provide all the different builds for our users]

The good news is that many programs have already been compiled for ARM. You can find them by searching the Ubuntu Software Center, which we shipped in the image. To use the USC, open the dash (the button with the ubuntu logo in the upper left of the launcher on the left), then search for "software". You will see an icon for "Ubuntu Software Center". Launch that (it's slow, we know ;) and you will see a list of the thousands of ARM apps available.

In general, if you see random software on the web for download, it will be unlikely that it would work on Ubuntu on the Nexus 7. And before I get asked, no, you cannot run Android applications on Ubuntu on the Nexus 7 either.

Hope this helps.

/ac
    mirror for images for the 16gb n7, install on any pc with fastboot http://d-h.st/Ik4

basic instructions
    Code:
    tar xaf n7-ubuntu-16gb.2012.10.26.tar.xz
    # check sha sums if you want
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot flash boot n7-ubuntu/16gb/boot.img
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot flash userdata n7-ubuntu/16gb/rootfs.img
    fastboot reboot

the userdata is not a typo that is how the ubuntu installer does it.
    you will lose all data including sdcard contents. so back it up or whatever.

WARNING: if you dont know what fastboot is ***stay the f--- away***

edit: 8gb images http://d-h.st/sau