[Q] One Max Screen Flickers

Search This thread

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
Pardon me if a thread already exists for this but I have tried to search but didn't find a thread describing this problem any where. Redirect me if you know of a thread like this.
So here is what I am experiencing. My One Max is a week old but from day one I have noticed that while i am typing a text message or email screen brightness increases a bit as soon as I hit any key on screen. Sometime it happens sometime it doesn't. I have also noticed that it only happens wherever key pops up on keyboard e.g E, R, G, O etc etc or it happens when I am scrolling messages or any thing which is in Black and White contrast (May it be messages or a web page with different dark and light pictures/rich text)

Mine is a brand new Stock Phone. No unlocked bootloader, or S-Off or Custom ROM or something of that sort. Brightness is at around 30%-40% in settings. Phone CID is HTC__J15 (Arab CID and International version).

I don't think its an hardware problem but wanted to share it with you guys and find a reason as well as a solution to it.

Cheers.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
It sounds like your light sensor is adjusting itself very rapidly. I can't confirm if that's an hardware issue as your environment or fingers might have preventing light from falling on the sensor.

I would suggest you to ask a friend or a family member use your phone and see if that happens to them also, this way you could make out if your way of handling the phone is creating the issue or the hardware might be faulty.

erwinkamal

Nov 18, 2007
Might be you were typing in a landscape mode.
When typing those letters, your left thumb blocks the light sensor.
If yes, then I would think It is normal.
It is just how do we use this beast.

Sent from my HTC One max using xda app-developers app

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
As far as I know light sensor is right at the top with speaker. I dont use phone in a landscape mode.

Sent from my HTC One max using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
So I am concluding that it doesnt happen with yours One Max. Right?

Last edited:

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Brainwave!!! i think i know what you are talking about.. occurred to me as well, the only co-relation i see is both of our units are J15 units.. ofcourse i am unlocked rooted soffed !

NOKPA

Jan 29, 2014
I was the same way when I use rom viper

Sent from my HTC One max using viper max rom

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
Mine does this too. Vzw version. I have chosen to overlook it because there's too much I like about this phone.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

I agree. This flickering doesn't matter to me too because this phone has so much more to offer that bit of a flickering wont bother me at all. I bought Note 3 for $710 and sold it right after 10 days for $600 because I didn't like touchwiz at all. But this One Max is an ultimate phone for me for next two years I believe :):):):)

Zippernuts

Oct 19, 2010
I've noticed it but only in low light situations. I just set my brightness at night or in dark places to eliminate the issue.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

syndikatcz

May 12, 2010
Flickers

So I am concluding that it doesnt happen with yours One Max. Right?

:( I have this too..... Just when brightness is from 0 - 24 % ( if flickers) (by higher back-light it is away - but it sucks, when you wanna watch movies in night You think it is a thing for reclamation? And have you too that the upperside of the lcd below the sensors and front camera is more white (from the back-light) than the lower side cca 1cm by the hardware buttons? you can see it in white background by web browsing.... etc...

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
:( I have this too..... Just when brightness is from 0 - 24 % ( if flickers) (by higher back-light it is away - but it sucks, when you wanna watch movies in night You think it is a thing for reclamation? And have you too that the upperside of the lcd below the sensors and front camera is more white (from the back-light) than the lower side cca 1cm by the hardware buttons? you can see it in white background by web browsing.... etc...

No, I haven't noticed any brighter spot under front Cam or over hardware buttons. Don't have this problem at least in my phone :) but yes flickering is something that I notice regularly.

Its not something which bothers me in a great deal but I believe we must get a perfect product because we spend a serious amount of money at the time of purchase. In my country HTC One Max is for $700 and I believe this is a lot of money to spend on a phone at least.

syndikatcz

May 12, 2010
No, I haven't noticed any brighter spot under front Cam or over hardware buttons. Don't have this problem at least in my phone :) but yes flickering is something that I notice regularly.

Its not something which bothers me in a great deal but I believe we must get a perfect product because we spend a serious amount of money at the time of purchase. In my country HTC One Max is for $700 and I believe this is a lot of money to spend on a phone at least.

It is on my phone bad back-light. (on upper-side you can see more white light from the light-tube... or what is there, down by hardware-buttons is instead less light it seems like burned out)
These two things with flickers - flickers less than the back-light worry's me.
You think it can be solved by reclamation on warranty repair. (i´m afraid that they say, ... this is normal by these kind of lcd) and they do nothing...

But i will it send because we are customers, and we payed not for a brick bud for high tech.... so i hope it well be good.

Before i had no problems with htc warranty's..... ( i try to show you pictures of it.... )

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
It is on my phone bad back-light. (on upper-side you can see more white light from the light-tube... or what is there, down by hardware-buttons is instead less light it seems like burned out)
These two things with flickers - flickers less than the back-light worry's me.
You think it can be solved by reclamation on warranty repair. (i´m afraid that they say, ... this is normal by these kind of lcd) and they do nothing...

But i will it send because we are customers, and we payed not for a brick bud for high tech.... so i hope it well be good.

Before i had no problems with htc warranty's..... ( i try to show you pictures of it.... )

I certainly believe that this must be covered in warranty. None of us paid that much of an amount to own a faulty handset. If they tell you that all units are like that then you should take your money back and look for any other phone. My brother owns HTC One, my wife has HTC One X and they don't have this faulty backlight issue then how come it can be a default feature in HTC One Max.

syndikatcz

May 12, 2010
I certainly believe that this must be covered in warranty. None of us paid that much of an amount to own a faulty handset. If they tell you that all units are like that then you should take your money back and look for any other phone. My brother owns HTC One, my wife has HTC One X and they don't have this faulty backlight issue then how come it can be a default feature in HTC One Max.
Here are my photos of this issue... On the web-browser you can see, that it is everytime on just the lower side of the phone. On upper side you can see more light .... On the video is the issue for further epilepsy... Bottom line is that I use the phone in dark places so, internet browsing, movie watching, is not possible on zero backlight just from 26... 27% it's seems be to eliminated... But my eyes are after that like from welding. So be or not to be ..(welder or epileptic)

Attachments

• back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 75
  • back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 67
  • back3.jpg
    back3.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 66
  • back4.jpg
    back4.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 62
  • back5.jpg
    back5.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 64

syndikatcz

May 12, 2010
Here are my photos of this issue... On the web-browser you can see, that it is everytime on just the lower side of the phone. On upper side you can see more light .... On the video is the issue for further epilepsy... Bottom line is that I use the phone in dark places so, internet browsing, movie watching, is not possible on zero backlight just from 26... 27% it's seems be to eliminated... But my eyes are after that like from welding. So be or not to be ..(welder or epileptic) video added

Attachments

• flic.3gp.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

neodiver

Jan 15, 2014
Long Island
One Max screen brightness fluctuations

I noticed this to be the case on my One Max the first couple of weeks playing with it. i noticed at times the screen would get dimmer and dimmer. While it wasn't ovewhelmingly annoying, I decided to disable automatic brightness in settings-brightness and all my screen troubles went away! :victory:

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
Here are my photos of this issue... On the web-browser you can see, that it is everytime on just the lower side of the phone. On upper side you can see more light .... On the video is the issue for further epilepsy... Bottom line is that I use the phone in dark places so, internet browsing, movie watching, is not possible on zero backlight just from 26... 27% it's seems be to eliminated... But my eyes are after that like from welding. So be or not to be ..(welder or epileptic) video added

In your video I can see that screen brightness changes and that happens to me too. This happens when webpage or movie has different Black and White contrast and screen goes kind of crazy as what it should do and there it starts kind of flickering. However, Screen Backlight Tubes problem in those photos that you posted earlier, I dont have that issue in my phone atleast. I belive that is something you should get your Unit fixed/replaced from HTC.

syndikatcz

May 12, 2010
In your video I can see that screen brightness changes and that happens to me too. This happens when webpage or movie has different Black and White contrast and screen goes kind of crazy as what it should do and there it starts kind of flickering. However, Screen Backlight Tubes problem in those photos that you posted earlier, I dont have that issue in my phone atleast. I belive that is something you should get your Unit fixed/replaced from HTC.

Thanks, i search now for a cheap android device for the weeks, when my MAX will be away .... My older phone DHD has my girlfriend, so now i search for a cheap android device and after that i send it ..... .

The flickers .... i see too the problem with the black - white contrast but the normal htc one has it not ... so i think they should work on it ..... and try to fix it ..... maybe could it by a software problem

I newer wanted samsung because of their amoled displays with they burnout - i had this on my phone on samsung omnia with windows mobile..... and the reclamation was a walk through the valley of darkness .... on the end, they told me ... that the oled-lcd how i have it on my phone is normal ... and there is nothing to repair .... ( he had white stripes in it too - so samsung and oled is for me a route to hell)

syndikatcz

May 12, 2010

FLICKERS - HTC REPAIR SAIS THAT THAT IS A attribute
→ behavior
→ cast
→ characteristic NOT A THING TO REPAIR SO I ASK WHY IS THIS JUST UNDER 27 - 30% OFF BACKLIGHT VISIBLE - IT SHOULD BE EVERY-TIME THERE ... ( DISAPPOINTED.... BECAUSE NOWHERE IS WRITTEN THAT THE HTC ONE MAX HAS THIS BEHAVIOR .... HTC ONE HAS IT NOT .... SO SHOULD THE USERS OF ONE MAX USE A SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT ? WHERE IS THE QUALITY OF PRODUCTS IN THIS WORLD DISAPPOINTED - WE CAN GO IN THE MIDDLE AGE WHERE IS NO ELECTRICITY .... OR WHY USE A TOP END PRODUCT WHEN WE CAN USE SOMETHING FOR 40% OF THIS PRODUCT)

THE BACKLIGHT TUBES PROBLEM THEY SAID, THAT THEY SEE NOTHING ... SO I WAITED ON THE PICTURES AND IT IS THERE, HOW MANAGE IT NOW? (DISAPPOINTED AGAIN)

SAMSUNG NEWER .... AGAIN
HTC I THINK NEWER AGAIN TOO THE DAYS ARE GONE WITH THE QUALITY
LG.... OR SONY ... MAYBE ... BUT .... LG WITHOUT THE SD CARD ....

unbelievable