[Q] HTC One stuck on splash screen. Is there any way to access files?

Search This thread

bladestorm82

May 11, 2014
My friend has a stock HTC One phone that he brought back from overseas. He said all of a sudden the phone gets stuck on the splash screen with the beatsaudio at the bottom and will not go pass that. I have installed HTC Sync and plugged in the phone. Most of the drivers install but I get a "MTP USB device failed to start" and I have a yellow exclamation point for that device in the device manager. I have also tried accessing from HBOOT but the only thing that happened was an installation of a HTC one driver when I clicked on fastboot. As you can see I'm pretty new to this and need help accessing the files stored on the phone before I attempt to do a factory reset.

Any help would be appreciated.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
My friend has a stock HTC One phone that he brought back from overseas. He said all of a sudden the phone gets stuck on the splash screen with the beatsaudio at the bottom and will not go pass that. I have installed HTC Sync and plugged in the phone. Most of the drivers install but I get a "MTP USB device failed to start" and I have a yellow exclamation point for that device in the device manager. I have also tried accessing from HBOOT but the only thing that happened was an installation of a HTC one driver when I clicked on fastboot. As you can see I'm pretty new to this and need help accessing the files stored on the phone before I attempt to do a factory reset.

Any help would be appreciated.

you can pull files from the phone using ADB commands from custom recovery (CWM or TWRP)

adb pull <remote> <local>

i.e:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard C:\Backup

will pull all files from /sdcard to a ''Backup'' folder on your C: drive

bladestorm82

May 11, 2014
you can pull files from the phone using ADB commands from custom recovery (CWM or TWRP)

adb pull <remote> <local>

i.e:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard C:\Backup

will pull all files from /sdcard to a ''Backup'' folder on your C: drive

Do I need to install CWM or TWRP on the phone first in order to use it? If so, how can i without being able to get pass the splash screen or without being able to access the storage on my pc's windows explorer?

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Hold power and down to get to the bootloader. If you don't have a custom recovery already you have a problem. I'm assuming not because you said it was stock. The only way to flash a recovery is if the bootloader is unlocked. If the phone is s on and the bootloader is locked you have to use the htcdev option to unlock it which will wipe the phone....

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bladestorm82

May 11, 2014
I guess he's screwed then. Phone is completely stock...no custom recovery was ever installed prior to this issue and it does show "Lock" at the top of the bootloader. Is there no other way to access the data???

Try this:
Step 1: Press and hold the Volume Down key.

Step 2:With the Volume key held down, press and hold the Power key till the phone switches off. Continue to hold both the volume down and power keys until the screen lights up again with a White Screen and Lots of writing

Step 3:When you see Three Android robots on skateboards,
Release the Power and Volume down key.
Then tap the Volume down key once to highlight RECOVERY
Press and release the Power key to Activate Recovery
Then screen will change to a series of backgrounds

Step 4: At the screen with a red triangle and a phone,
Hold the Volume Up key and press the power button.

Step 5: Use the volume down key to tap down to highlight WIPE CACHE PARTITION
Then tap the power key to select the Wipe Cache Partition.
You will see the yellow writing come up to confirm the Wipe Cache Partition

Step 6:After This has been completed,
Use the power key to reboot your phone.
NOTE: THIS WILL NOT DELETE YOUR PERSONAL DATA