First impressions

Search This thread

markpv

Jan 12, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My first impressions are kind of lackluster. Now I should start by saying I was never interested in the docking potential of this phone. Now with that said so far it's obviously faster than my Nexus One which is good. The fact that it can be rooted is good too because I can run my TiBu for my apps. The bigger storage is also a definite plus for me that way I am not shuttling apps off to the SD card because I am low on space.

What is really throwing me off is the fact that it has 1 GB of RAM which seems to only have 800 available and then after all the apps around 500 on a reboot. I am really hoping the devs can come up with a way to fix that aspect because as I originally stated I am not interested in docking this phone and the assumption is that 200 MB is reserved for the Webtop. Secondly I know I am not going to see 4G speeds out of this phone for a long time given my area. I was however hoping to see a little bit more speed out of it versus my Nexus One. Third the power button takes a lot of getting used to on it. Finally the battery in increments of 10% I am really hoping this can be fixed somehow because that's a wicked pain.

Overall I am happy with the phone and I am cheering on the dev community to hopefully be able to do something with my gripes that I have with it.

nucentury08

Jan 24, 2008
Go nexus s man if you want a great screen gingerbread and icecream first #Just saying

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Go nexus s man if you want a great screen gingerbread and icecream first #Just saying

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Nexus S? Is that the phone with only 512MB of RAM and no 720p video recording? What size microSD card does it support? Ohhhh, that's right, it doesn't. Well at least it has NFC, because some time in the next 10 years that might actually be a useful feature!

P.S. Sorry, I don't even have an Atrix. I just like throwing crumbs to trolls!

Last edited:

Squeak22

Aug 14, 2010
Up to 50 meg or so is ramdisk too.

On the captivate, with 512 meg of ram, the most usable we could get was around 374 I think. This is about 73% of ram.

If we take this ratio to the Atrix, it's actually about 5% higher than that.

playin4sheezy

May 27, 2008
Baton Rouge
Nexus S

Nexus S does get the newer software and might look a little more flashy but if your into flashy things then go for it.. but the Atrix has a better RES screen, more RAM, better CPU.. Got my Atrix yesterday and must say that I am happy that I got it. There are some things here and there that could be fixed but its the phone's 2nd day in the real world so that is to be expected.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Went from an Iphone 4 to the Atrix 4g. Screen is definitely a little disappointing in comparison, but its really not that bad. Keeping the brightness below 50%ish definitely helps a lot, at 80-100% the screen looks washed out and grainy.

jmbradd

Oct 3, 2010
On the RAM issue, can froyo address 1gb of ram?

My wife just got this phone today. I have a captivate and I think this thing handles nicely!

nitrog7

Feb 22, 2011
My previous phones have been all the iPhones as well as the Nexus One, The Droid X.

DISLIKES
Weight:
Too light. Feels cheap when you don't have weight to it. It has a little weight but compared to the iPhone, it is very light. I thought it was a guy-thing but even too light for my wife

Material:
Motorola should have used the same material as the Droid X. Nice rubberized exterior that eliminates the need for a case and does not slip. I have large hands and cannot wait to get a silicon cover. The phone constantly slips out of my hand. Have to admit the iPhone 4 is really bad too, without a case.

Photos/Video:
Horrible video and photos. I know the iPhone 4 is, and still is, superior in this field but if I remember correctly, the Droid X had some decent photo quality. Although the video is smoother than the Droid X. The photos/videos are washed out and grainy. Looks like I filmed it using a PlaySkool camera. Definitely will not be hearing of anyone saying, "I filmed this music video using my Atrix!"

Laptop Dock:
Did not order this. Until Moto comes up with an update that makes it more useful or I find a great use for it, I will not be purchasing one. Why didn't they just have it attach to the Xoom or something? That would have been great. Imagine a gutted Xoom that you would pop in your Atrix and it BECOME the tablet. Uses your Atrix 4G service and 'dock' expands the phone with additional ports. Maybe an idea with Ice Cream coming out.

Like the shape and overall feel of the phone. Feels good to have the touch buttons rather than the physical buttons on the Droid X. Would be nice to have a camera button. Overall, has the same look and presence as the iPhone out of the corner of your eye. Closer to the 3GS version (which I prefer over the iPhone 4 form factor) even though it has a larger screen. Everything is nice and uniform. Would love to have the new form factors Samsung has been coming out with but this is doable.

Fingerprint Wake:
Great way to keep it secure without someone looking at the prints on your screen. There is also an alternative passcode in case you need someone else to wake your phone. The location and having to push and swipe at the same time makes it difficult. Not too bad but not easy either.

Front-facing Camera:
Nice feature to have even though I will rarely use it. Maybe when Skype adds video chat. Was not able to set Fring to use the front camera. I'm open for recommendations. But even if I do find something that works, can't see myself doing video chat.

Sound:
Heard some bad things about the speaker but don't think its too bad. Sounds great. Music and calls sound a lot clearer than the iPhone 4. Very similar to the quality of the Droid X.

HDMI:
The best part is when you plug it into the TV with the included HDMI. Has an awesome interface to play your music, photos, and videos. Then you can really see the poor quality of the photos and video, Lol.

Docks:
Although not thrilled with the laptop dock, love docks in general. The Multimedia dock looks cool. Great way to potentially be an Apple TV replacement. Vehicle dock looks like the one I had for the Droid X which is nice. It is great to have the wide range of accessories. One reason the iPhone does so well.

MotoBLUR:
A lot of haters out there on this one but not too bad, I can definitely live with it if Motorola keeps the Android OS updated. I prefer it over Samsung's mutated iPhone look. Nice button graphics and widgets on MotoBLUR. I do wish I could remove the preinstalled apps like Vlingo and Blockbuster. I do agree, it would be great if we had an option to use it or not.

dwd3885

May 20, 2010
you can't really compare Nexus S and Atrix until the S becomes available on AT&T 3G bands, unless you want Edge only data. I think the Atrix is terrific. You have to realize that the S would cost a lot unsubsidized as well.

playin4sheezy

May 27, 2008
Baton Rouge
You can easily remove all the bloat apps like Blockbuster and etc.. Just goto Applications and they are in the remove list.. I have already removed them all from mine