[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Galaxy Tab - BETA

Search This thread

TheGrammarFreak

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
I have a TMO tab rooted and had ROM manager installed from market. I used ROM manager and flash clockworkmod recovery and got version 2.5.1.8.

The recovery works but it has some mounting errors. How can I update to the latest version? I am running stock TMO ROM.

Thanks.

If you're using Gingerbread, use CF-Root. If you're using FroYo use An older version of CF-Root or the MoDaCo Custom Kernel

TheGrammarFreak

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
I have a US TMO tab Model number: SGH-T849, running firmware 2.2 with Build number FROYO.UVJJB. There are KAI, JME, JJ7, JMG versions etc available. Which one of CF-root should I choose? Many thanks...

Personally I'd go with JJ7. Do a quick search for Roto backup and back up your kernel (zImage) before flashing CF-Root though. If it works, let us know. If not, we'll try and think of something else :D

greenleaves

Dec 15, 2010
Philadelphia
LG V30
Personally I'd go with JJ7. Do a quick search for Roto backup and back up your kernel (zImage) before flashing CF-Root though. If it works, let us know. If not, we'll try and think of something else :D
Thanks for the heads up. I just read about the naming convention on the download page.

Just wonder what is the difference between the CF-root and the MoDaCo kernels? Which is would you recommend? Would you recommend Ext4 partition creation when flashing the kernel? You can see I'm new to SG-tab.

TheGrammarFreak

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Thanks for the heads up. I just read about the naming convention on the download page.

Just wonder what is the difference between the CF-root and the MoDaCo kernels? Which is would you recommend? Would you recommend Ext4 partition creation when flashing the kernel? You can see I'm new to SG-tab.

The MoDaCo kernel is built from source, whereas CF-Root is reverse engineered. Ext4 conversion will happen where needed, if you use a custom ROM that uses ext4 (Overcome and CM7 both convert automatically)

hexxamillion

Oct 4, 2008
THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE
If you don't know what you are doing, don't use this.

Restoring to factory after using this process (you need using stock images):

Verizon Tab Users:
Want to save your self some command line headaches and risk and donate to a developer? Then go download the Verizon Tab Recovery Bootstrap off the Market and use that instead of this guide. :)

Nice... I wish I came across this post before I came across TheUnlockr.com. They did not include your disclaimer suggesting to use the bootstrap instead. My tab is bricked after flashing this Clockworkmod Recovery and I have noticed that others had the same issue. I still have not come across any solutions...just posts about peoples tablets bricking. The search continues...

hexxamillion

Oct 4, 2008
Forums are your major friends! Got my tab back in working order. I just paid for the verizon tab bootstrap as suggested.

avishai0528

Feb 10, 2008
Holon
Hello I'm from Israel

First of all i want to say that the links in the first post are not working so if someone can help that will be nice...

another thing is... here in Israel we don't have Verizon and T-Mobile...
some says Israel is in Asia and some say we are in Europe..

So my question is... is there a way maybe check something in the Tab.. to know which one of the recovery I need to use?

skitzo_inc

Dec 19, 2010
Just in case anyone was wondering, I got this to work on USCC (us cellular) galaxy s tab using the VZW bootstrapper from the market.

kgbrown247

Dec 15, 2008
Okc, OK
I got it working on my vzw Galaxy. Anyone know of a stable gb rim that supports cwm?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Oditius

Jun 30, 2007
Chicago

Verizon Tab Users:
Want to save your self some command line headaches and risk and donate to a developer? Then go download the Verizon Tab Recovery Bootstrap off the Market and use that instead of this guide. :)

I installed the Verizon Tab Recovery, this may sound dumb, but my screen doesn't rotate anymore, and the camera is broke too.. Can someone help me...:confused: I might have to learn how to undo all this. Is there an easy way?

Last edited:

TheGrammarFreak

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
All the ROMs available for the Tab (with the exception of stock) include cwm, and most provide an Odin/heimdall flashable version. Boush released a kernel with cwm and voodoo sound for CDMA devices, and chainfire releases versions for GSM tabs. None of them have ROM manager support, and they never will. Koush won't update the links, he doesn't read this thread. The kernels with CWM that he made are gone.

The point in this post: you don't need what was available here any more. It was broken, it's gone now and good riddance too.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

ezeuba

Account currently disabled
Sep 15, 2009
Usa
meettomy.site
Only works for Froyo

I nearly developed brain fatigue trying to figure this out. I have a verizon galaxy tab which I upgraded to GB with the firmware I downloaded from oldmacnut. Then I tried to get CWM working on this. The installation goes well until when I rebooted. The system hung at the verizon logo. Nothing I did could correct this. Until I flashed back to Froyo. Apparently this works only on Froyo. Now I have CWM 3.0.0.0 on my Galaxy Tab. Heaven...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE
    If you don't know what you are doing, don't use this.

Restoring to factory after using this process (you need using stock images):

heimdall flash --kernel stockzImage --recovery stockzImage --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs

TMobile Tab Users:
    How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from a modified STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork. However, ROM Manager handles this all pretty seamlessly for you.

Installation instructions for TMOBILE TAB:
    Download the kernel:
    TMobile - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsung/tab/tmobile_zImage

Installation instructions:
    Flash the kernel using flash_image: http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/flash_image (This will flash both boot and recovery)
    1. adb push flash_image /data/local/bin/flash_image
    2. adb push tmobile_zImage /sdcard/
    3. adb shell
    4. su
    5. chmod 755 /data/local/bin/flash_image
    6. /data/local/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/tmobile_zImage
    7. sync
    8. exit # This should take you back to your computer's console

Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    Flash Recovery.
    Choose the appropriate Galaxy Tab version.
    Accept the Superuser prompt.
    Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.

Verizon Tab Users:

Download the kernel:
    Verizon - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsung/tab/verizon_zImage

Installation instructions for VERIZON TAB:
    You do NOT need to do this if you used the Bootstrap application
    Flash the kernel using flash_image: http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/flash_image (This will flash both boot and recovery)
    2. adb push verizon_zImage /sdcard/
    3. adb shell
    4. su
    6. /data/local/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/verizon_zImage
    7. sync
    9. adb reboot recovery # Boot into recovery

It will now convert your rfs partitions to ext4.
    Flash Recovery.

Euro Tab Users:
    Want to save your self some command line headaches and risk and donate to a developer? Then go download the Euro Tab Recovery Bootstrap off the Market and use that instead of this guide. :)

Download the kernel:
    Euro - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsung/tab/international_zImage

Installation instructions for EURO TAB:
    You do NOT need to do this if you used the Bootstrap application
    2. adb push international_zImage /sdcard/
    3. adb shell
    4. su
    6. /data/local/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/international_zImage
    7. sync
    9. adb reboot recovery # Boot into recovery

It will now convert your rfs partitions to ext4.
    Flash Recovery.

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!
    Stuck on samsung screen after using koush bootstrapper?

Download heimdall and then read the "README" file for setting up the drivers. The drivers worked fine for me in win7 x64.

Once the usb drivers are setup for heimdall, boot your galaxy tab into download mode by holding Vol-down + power button.

Make sure your tab is connected and run the following command using koush's clockwork kernal/recovery image found here: (sorry can't post links)
    h**p://koush.droid.co//samsung/tab/verizon_zImage

c:\galaxytab\heimdall\heimdall flash --kernel verizon_zImage --recovery verizon_zImage

You should now be able to get into clockworkmod recovery by holding Vol-up + power button.

Once in recovery, restore your before-ext4 backup. You should be back to where you were before the bootstrapper but you now have clockworkmod.

Good luck
    I believe I may have found the cause of several bugs; I am using the busybox sh link rather than the normal Android sh. This may be causing a lot of problems with scripts executing, and thus possibly various initializations of the hardware. I'll put new releases out for Vzw and Euro tonight.

not sure whether the OP answers what the poster is asking. He's asking whether he can flash the Tmob firmware (= making his device a Tmob device), then apply CM recovery, since Tmob is supported. He's not asking whether EU tab is supported (which we all know by now, it is not).

anyway, i do not like the aggressiveness in this thread. if someone would add koush/clockworkmod in twitter we all would know that he didn't even have a tab, volunteered to create a cm recovery for us anyway, and slowly the ball starts rolling.

we on the other hand are *****ing and biting like little girls that didn't get the right Barbie doll - surely a great incentive for developers joining this forum and starting developing recovery/ROMs at the risk of being attacked or users *****ing with and against each other

i have no say here, but let me just say this: CHILL!