ICS removes USB mass Storage.

Search This thread

Falkner09

May 24, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/17/google-galaxy-nexus-hspa-first-impressions-video/

"Using the camera exposed a major flaw in Ice Cream Sandwich, namely the lack of USB mass storage support"

Jesus. I sthotught it was pretty bad when Honeycomb didnt have this feature working on Macs. I thought to myself, "why would Google release a product that's clearly a prototype?" I then thought it was odd that they didn't fix the problem in 3.1 0r 3.2. seemd like a no brainer, like they had just rushed the original version. yet now they're even removing it from their flagship PHONE? a device meant to be used for its utility, meant to compete with the iPhone by having the basic features the iPhone doesn't have? and this is AFTER the phone doesn't have an sd card slot, either. you'd think they'd be smarter than this, with all the stability and security problems Android's been having due to the bloatware and related fragmentation. it's only real advantage over the iPhone is that it can do more, yet Google seems to be doing everything they can to slowly chip away at those functions.

Spartoi

Jul 31, 2009
Pomona
Galaxy Nexus, setting the standard for Android.

5MP Camera
Aging GPU
No MicroSD
No USB Mass Storage

LoL. I still don't know why people are flabbergast over this devices, but to each his own I guess.

qwertyaas

Aug 17, 2010
I just wanted a SGSII with a 1280x720 display. But since that's not coming stateside, I'm enjoying my SGSII :)

Odd how they didn't just turn the SGSII LTE HD into the Galaxy Nexus with a few tweaks. Instead, they downgraded the flagship Samsung phone and just threw ICS on it.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
Nexus S was the same (internal storage, video record quality, etc. )

Why are people surprised by this.

This is a prototype/reference handset and the only real benefit to it is the early access to new OS updates and apparently a penta-band HSPA+ radio.

Other than that, you're better off just waiting for an OEM to release an ICS device.

The only funny thing is that Google left the Android UI in such deplorable state so long that OEMs are so used to skinning it. They will even skin ICS with Sense and TouchWiz.

I must admit.I was a bit hopeful.for this device. With Google Music and Video Store live, the lack of an SD slot is a really big issue, IMO.

Also, the lack if a Search button is a Showstopper for me. Maybe an OEM will put it back in. I do like the interface cues they took from Apple and Microsoft, though. The UI looks like actual graphics instead of ASCII art now.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Bewinxed

Reviewers

Mar 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have no idea if i even want this device , i never had any nexus device . It don't have a /SDCARD slot inside it and no USB storage , what the hell doe's that mean you can't plug it into the PC ?

tobiasly

Sep 8, 2007
Louisville, KY
Guys I just don't believe that it lacks USB mass storage support based on one sentence in one Engadget review. Maybe the guy didn't have his Windows drivers installed or missed a setting somewhere, who knows.

They released the source earlier this week and we haven't heard a peep about this. Surely someone woulda noticed this by now if it were removed?

Anyway.. maybe it is true but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions just yet...

Reactions: mkropf and iNeri

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
I have no idea if i even want this device , i never had any nexus device . It don't have a /SDCARD slot inside it and no USB storage , what the hell doe's that mean you can't plug it into the PC ?

Well,maybe there will be gTunes(You know,something like Google's iTunes?).I dunno.It's complete bull****.I can do with a better UI,but I also liked the previous one.If they're going to deprive us of basic stuff,it'll be more like a downgrade.
Well,maybe we just have to enable USB debugging though... ;)

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Well,maybe there will be gTunes(You know,something like Google's iTunes?).I dunno.It's complete bull****.I can do with a better UI,but I also liked the previous one.If they're going to deprive us of basic stuff,it'll be more like a downgrade.
Well,maybe we just have to enable USB debugging though... ;)

it was launched live yesterday night

it's called Google Music

and yes there is also an App not by Google, called gTunes.

Falkner09

May 24, 2011
Also, the lack if a Search button is a Showstopper for me.

this. I'm pretty surprised by it, give that it's a GOOGLE made phone. the search button and its integration into apps is (was?) one of the best features onf Android, made navigating and finding files, contacts, anything you could think of so smooth and thoughtless, with one tap or press, always in the same spot without needing to distract yourself from anything else. now, google seems to be actually TRYING to kill it by relegating it to submenus.

look at Honeycomb: the "task" bar has so much potential, as a persistent bar that can be modified, upgraded, and given a myriad of quick functions due to being a screen based, persistent ~10 inch long area that could be able to launch a million functions. yet Google gives us only back, home, and app switcher. no search icon. even in apps that use the hardware search function on phones, a search button won't appear when you use them, yet menu will if they've been programmed to use the hardware menu key.

*shakes head* I thought Android was set to become THE dominant OS in the mobile sphere, but if Google keeps downgrading their product's most useful and unique functions while the iPhone copies the good ones, at the rate we're going, the iPhone may end up an overall better system by the end of 2012.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
i use the search button almost every couple of minutes

makes it easy to find what i want, and read the websites i want in a blink of an eye

without it; i'll have to go the long arse way to find the app i want to run, then execute the app, then enter the website i want...

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
I don't know what studies they did. Microsoft destroyed the WP contextual search button and now I barely use that phone. Replacing search with app switcher when there's more than enough Tom to fit it there?

Idiotic.

Unless an OEM mods it back in, this won't be usable to me. Its not something I cab just get used to. It completely destroys the way I use my devices.

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
Yep, Android is MTP from now on. This switch already actually happened with the first version of Honeycomb. Supposedly a benefit is that the SD card doesn't have to be unmounted and remounted when transferring files. If you search online you can find some quotes from Google dev's on the topic of MTP.

PrawnPoBoy

Apr 18, 2010
I don't have a Galaxy Nexus to test, but I do have a Galaxy S II which defaults to MTP instead of mass storage USB. This is fine as it means it works perfectly with existing media managers, which is what I expect most consumers want.

That said, you can enable Mass Storage by checking USB Debugging in the Development section of settings. I suspect it's the same in the Galaxy Nexus.

TL;DR This report is unlikely to be true.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
Funny, that's one of the things fandroids tend to bring up when discussing androids advantage over other OSes... And it was one of few valid points they had.

Spartoi

Jul 31, 2009
Pomona
I suppose its a good thing then that Android has many OEMs that will probably provide the feature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys I just don't believe that it lacks USB mass storage support based on one sentence in one Engadget review. Maybe the guy didn't have his Windows drivers installed or missed a setting somewhere, who knows.

They released the source earlier this week and we haven't heard a peep about this. Surely someone woulda noticed this by now if it were removed?

Anyway.. maybe it is true but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions just yet...
    Nexus S was the same (internal storage, video record quality, etc. )

Why are people surprised by this.

This is a prototype/reference handset and the only real benefit to it is the early access to new OS updates and apparently a penta-band HSPA+ radio.

Other than that, you're better off just waiting for an OEM to release an ICS device.

The only funny thing is that Google left the Android UI in such deplorable state so long that OEMs are so used to skinning it. They will even skin ICS with Sense and TouchWiz.

I must admit.I was a bit hopeful.for this device. With Google Music and Video Store live, the lack of an SD slot is a really big issue, IMO.

Also, the lack if a Search button is a Showstopper for me. Maybe an OEM will put it back in. I do like the interface cues they took from Apple and Microsoft, though. The UI looks like actual graphics instead of ASCII art now.

Quality-wise exceeding the iPhone? Heavily disagree. Its too laggy to be of high quality and there's no uniformity across any aspect of the UI.

when Android does the things it does, it's often laggier than the iPhone, this is true. the catch is, Android is laggier at doing things the iPhone cannot do at all. how fast are the iPhone's widgets? how smoothly does the iPhone change its default browser? how quickly does it download apps from sources other than the app store? how responsive is its uniform, built in back, menu and search button? how stable are its home screen replacement apps? how stable is the hardware keyboard equipped model? how well do swype, touchpal and swiftkey work on the iPhone? how good are the device file managers? how fast is bluetooth file transfer? how many icon packs are available for it? how many alternate players are there for on-device music, movies, etc? how fast is the SD card reader? how fast does USB mass storage work, with an unsynced PC or Mac? how many emulators are there in the app store? how good is the iOS version of Wave Launcher? how quickly can you biuy Kindle books from the iPad if you prefer that to iBooks? how well does iBooks work on a non-Apple device? etc. etc.

I could go on and list dozens more, but the fact is, the iPhone can do none of the things I listed, no matter how stable and smooth it is. quality in electronics is a relationship between stability and utility; for millions of people, Android is stable enough that its broader functionality makes up for the lower stability compared to the iPhone. true, google appears to be downgrading a few (I count 4 in my list) of those functionalities, for reason that are either short sighted at best, or baseless at worst. but even if every single Android phone had those 4 functions taken away suddenly, there would still be ALL the others. Android has been winning by a mile for some time now. if these downgrades stick, it will only be winning by half a mile, but winning is winning.
    The reason they made the GN lack features is simple.

Cannibalism.

Samsung still use the SGS2 as a flagship product.
    While in the US they have different handsets many other countries has the SGS2.
    And it's even not that old product especially when compared to Apple's product cycle.

Making a "better" phone would make you simply say... ahh I'll prefer it over SGS2 or other versions of it (like in the us).

Limiting the camera and some addons ensures you'll think about it.

Samsung still has SGS2 stock they need to sell and still it's a great phone.

Except of the penta-band and HD res this phone has nothing huge but for Google's Dev phones it's important to keep some features updated.

Though, since the N1 they haven't released and market changing feature set (the N1 was one of the first 1Ghz phones if not the first).
    If it were quad... different story.
    No, I had that phone for a week and passed it off to my 6 year old sister. I have, however, read years worth of trolling in the wp7 general section.