Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
How to sign up on Barnes and Nobel's website
To sign up on the Barnes & Nobel "book club" forum, and report your issues with your device, you can use your Barnes & Nobel Username and Password. You only need to select a name for the forum.

Getting Results
Lets link the topics here. If we want the topics to be highly visible to Barnes and Nobel, we must all "Laurel" (aka thanks) each other's posts. Here are some of my posts:

Keep in mind that this is a "noob" forum. They will look up to you if you are developing. Noobs go to the "book club" to learn how to use their devices. We want to make sure the noobs see that we have more problems than they do with the device as it is. It needs to be opened up.

Official Channels (aka probly wont' work)
Here is another link for forwarding your concerns to higher levels https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/support/support.html

email addresses for expressing your free-thinking concerns.
service@barnesandnoble.com
support@book.com

Using our community to push their community
I will laurel every development/root enabling link in this thread. So post up your Barnes and Nobel forum threads here and we can all laurel each others posts to bring them into the "top laureled posts" on Barnes and Nobel and thereby make them unable to ignore our posts.

Lets send several clear messages.

Last edited:

HMG10

Nov 29, 2011
Don't forget their NT youtube channel. They had a video about the 1.4.1 update and I had commented there about opening up the device for developers.

Reactions: tmlee51

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
B&N won't get it. We need more devs to work on this device. I'm sure with enough eyeballs on this thing we will be able to crack it.

Attitudes like that are extremely unhelpful. In fact, I take offense to that. Only a handful of members on this site are actually developers and others(like you) take an attitude that development 'just happens'.

Here's some news for you, douchebag, development is tons of work. Its trials and tribulations. Its blood, sweat and tears. Its trial and error. Countless hours of work. And before we can even begin, we need a workaround for the security.

Guess what.. This is it. This is called social engineering. As stated by the most effective social engineer in the world, 'The best way to get a password is to ask for it". Until we have that password, there will be no development.

Now stop *****ing about **** you don't know and get in there to do some work. There's those who help and those who hinder. Guess what your post does.

This thread is about one thing. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't be a douchebag.

ronaldmaustin

Apr 1, 2010
I'll be returning my NT as I am within the two week return period unless the bootloader is broken within a matter of days. Otherwise, even if 1.4.1 becomes rootable again I can't check every few days to see if an update is coming and take the time to read all the preventative steps to avoid having to re-root. It is quite a disappointment to have gotten everything working on my NT only to find root broken, some of my apps completely gone and wifi ad hoc not working this morning.

Reactions: tmlee51

real-6

Dec 5, 2011
I'm certainly not a developer, so I'll help with the means available. Unfortunately, after logging in on the B&N forum, it seems clicking on the laurel doesn't iterate the counter...
Don't know what's wrong, I'm trying over Safari or Chrome

xdahgary

Aug 18, 2010
You're taking it too personal. I have contributed in every way in the development. I have donated and left comments on your B&N links. But changing a corporation's mindset is very difficult. I hope B&N will change their ways, but I'm not optimistic. I would like more developers taking interest in the nook tablet instead. And I in no means believe development just happens. That is why I buy them beers.

Reactions: tmlee51 and e.mote

raqball

Jun 21, 2010
New York
I fail to see the need to call someone a douchebag because they stated the obvious... B&N does not care, nor will internet posts change their mind..

Returning the device won't really impact them as 97% of users will / can care less about hacking it...

Instead of jumping up and down like caged animals and threatning to return it why not trust in the developers of XDA? I do and I often hit their donate button...

I guess I'm next to get called a douche...

My .02

ckevinwelch

Feb 17, 2011
I'm certainly not a developer, so I'll help with the means available. Unfortunately, after logging in on the B&N forum, it seems clicking on the laurel doesn't iterate the counter...

You have to log in and create a pen name. It's kind of a pain, but I was able to do it.

Thanks Adam for the initiative you are taking on this product. I hope it eventually helps.

Nurb432

Dec 23, 2011
While i share in the sentiment that B&N is not going to care about a hand full of noisy people, ill put my 2 cents in at the store and their sites and cross my fingers. We are not asking for that much, are we?

I'm way past my 2 week grace period so I'm either stuck with it or it goes on e-bay at a loss if there isn't a work around in a reasonable amount of time. ( no I'm not slamming on the xda developers.. just that at some point you have to cut your losses and give up )

I did buy the device with full intent for a couple of non-bn functions, and while some of them still work ( but not all ) it will still prevent me from ever updating the app which means at some point, its useless.

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside
While i share in the sentiment that B&N is not going to care about a hand full of noisy people, ill put my 2 cents in at the store and their sites and cross my fingers. We are not asking for that much, are we?

It's worth a few seconds of our time.

To anyone who does head over there, try to be positive. There are a few members there who are personally insulting folks like us, please don't take the bait. They aren't your intended audience, you won't change their minds even if they were and they aren't worth your time anyway. Just stay positive and encourage openness, and laurel those posts that do the same.

GreenFuzzer

Dec 10, 2011
Will do Adam. It is the least we can do for someone who has done so much for all of us. I started emailing them a couple days ago thinking the squeaky wheel and all that but continue to get the auto-response.

tmlee51

Nov 17, 2011
This is a thread on B&N's community board. A link in this thread states the special return/refund policy for this holiday season -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com...licy/m-p/1246537/message-uid/1246537#U1246537

Only the top management at this time can make difference. One thing for sure that the top management cares more than the customer complaint is the earnings. My theory is that if there are enough returns to impact the earnings, this may help the top management to think through the issue clearly.

B&N's 3rd qtr ends on January 31, 2012 which coincide with the extended return period for holiday (see the link above). So you can make the best judgement about what you can do to help yourselves.

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
Return the NT. They will get their attention. Mine goes back next week. No to locked bootloader. No to blocked side loading. No to Barnes and Noble. I'll buy my books from Amazon from now on.

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium

First I'm not personally going after you here. I see this type of opinion across alot of forums. When you go to return it you don't have the option to say any of things you have pointed out. Us XDA'ers may be a minority but we are known to be very loud. I do feel that Adam's plan is the best course of action to accomplish what is needed to make the Nook a great tablet.

That being said, everything you have pointed out is very real concern to me, and I have been seriously considering returning mine. But I'm not really seeing any real development(comparing to the major phones) on any tablet besides the Samsung galaxy tab(which I can't afford) I'm thinking once Adam and the rest of the guys in the development thread get through the bootloader issue we might have one of the better development communities's going once we can attract the rest of the nook color guys.

tmlee51

Nov 17, 2011
The complaints about 1.4.1 are written everywhere. It's very hard to imagine that B&N is not knowing about what is going on.

The advantage of being a Tablet ex-owner is no longer emotionally attached to the device and will be able to see the situation without bias. If s/he still likes it, it's always possible to buy it back in February. May be a pre-owned one at a discount?

Marti1337

Jul 24, 2010
Don't know if you guys got the memo, but unless you bought your NT before November 14th, you have until January 31st(I think) to return them, open or unopened. Extended holiday returns are a beautiful thing. I would post a link to the info on the website, but I'm too lazy.

Merry Christmas!

Nurb432

Dec 23, 2011
So i got my first reply from B&N that basically stated they really don't care , and they removed side loading to prevent piracy. So i guess that means all other markets are just pirates? My foot, its all about lock-in and restriction of free trade.

Last B&N product i ever buy.

I'm also forwarding a complaint on to my states attorney general.

KCKitsune

Mar 7, 2011
I decided against getting a Nook Tablet, and told my family not to get a Nook Tablet. Since I'm the IT guy of the family my words have a lot of weight when it comes to buying tech goodies.

That's how we here in this board can hurt B&N bottom line. WE'RE the guys/gals that our family comes to and says: "Is this a good thing to get?" and our answer can steer them to or away from the NT. Right now the answer to them is stay away from the Nook Tablet.

My sister and father both got Kindle Fires BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to sign up on Barnes and Nobel's website
    To sign up on the Barnes & Nobel "book club" forum, and report your issues with your device, you can use your Barnes & Nobel Username and Password. You only need to select a name for the forum.

Getting Results
    Lets link the topics here. If we want the topics to be highly visible to Barnes and Nobel, we must all "Laurel" (aka thanks) each other's posts. Here are some of my posts:

Keep in mind that this is a "noob" forum. They will look up to you if you are developing. Noobs go to the "book club" to learn how to use their devices. We want to make sure the noobs see that we have more problems than they do with the device as it is. It needs to be opened up.

Official Channels (aka probly wont' work)
    Here is another link for forwarding your concerns to higher levels https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/support/support.html

email addresses for expressing your free-thinking concerns.
    service@barnesandnoble.com
    support@book.com

Using our community to push their community
    I will laurel every development/root enabling link in this thread. So post up your Barnes and Nobel forum threads here and we can all laurel each others posts to bring them into the "top laureled posts" on Barnes and Nobel and thereby make them unable to ignore our posts.

Lets send several clear messages.
    B&N won't get it. We need more devs to work on this device. I'm sure with enough eyeballs on this thing we will be able to crack it.

Attitudes like that are extremely unhelpful. In fact, I take offense to that. Only a handful of members on this site are actually developers and others(like you) take an attitude that development 'just happens'.

Here's some news for you, douchebag, development is tons of work. Its trials and tribulations. Its blood, sweat and tears. Its trial and error. Countless hours of work. And before we can even begin, we need a workaround for the security.

Guess what.. This is it. This is called social engineering. As stated by the most effective social engineer in the world, 'The best way to get a password is to ask for it". Until we have that password, there will be no development.

Now stop *****ing about **** you don't know and get in there to do some work. There's those who help and those who hinder. Guess what your post does.

This thread is about one thing. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't be a douchebag.
    I fail to see the need to call someone a douchebag because they stated the obvious... B&N does not care, nor will internet posts change their mind..

Returning the device won't really impact them as 97% of users will / can care less about hacking it...

Instead of jumping up and down like caged animals and threatning to return it why not trust in the developers of XDA? I do and I often hit their donate button...

I guess I'm next to get called a douche...

My .02