Going from a G3 to a Z2

Search This thread

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
Hi all,

Do you think it is a good idea to go from a G3 to a Z2? I would really value unbiased, honest responses. I got a G3 last night and have found the charger port id dodgy and it won't fit in correctly. When using the phone there is a lot of lag all over the system, the speaker is good and the gold is gorgeous. The battery life is meh. Better than the 5S I came from.

I normally use my phone for social networking, facebook and a little gaming. I know the Z1 had an issue where when typing on the keyboard it would almost make your fingers bounce of the keyboard due to the vibration motor. Sure, I know you can turn vibration off but I prefer it on. Does the Z2 suffer from this?

malek777

Nov 6, 2011
Hi all,

Do you think it is a good idea to go from a G3 to a Z2? I would really value unbiased, honest responses. I got a G3 last night and have found the charger port id dodgy and it won't fit in correctly. When using the phone there is a lot of lag all over the system, the speaker is good and the gold is gorgeous. The battery life is meh. Better than the 5S I came from.

I normally use my phone for social networking, facebook and a little gaming. I know the Z1 had an issue where when typing on the keyboard it would almost make your fingers bounce of the keyboard due to the vibration motor. Sure, I know you can turn vibration off but I prefer it on. Does the Z2 suffer from this?
They re both really good, it's kinda hard to say which is better. But overall I like the ui of the z2 more.

sidneylopsides

Oct 25, 2008
There is an option to adjust keyboard vibration intensity :)
Battery life would probably be the biggest benefit of the Z2, though I've also read the screen colours etc are better too.

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
Yes, it's a great idea to trade for the Z2! I owned both the G3 and Z2 at the same time and ended up selling the G3. I came from a G2, which I loooved, so I really wanted to like the G3, but it just had too many flaws. The G3 is way too laggy. That's my number one pet peeve. If a phone feels/looks slow then it IS slow. It was fast within applications, but transitioning into apps and back to the home screen etc. made it stutter a lot. Also, the high pixel density screen is just a gimmick. I'd gladly trade a slight drop in pixel density for my Z2's much better color and contrast. The Z2 does have a strong vibration when typing fast, but not so much as to cause an audible rattle. When typing slowly or using swype it's perfect.
Also, battery life is almost as good as the G2, which as you know is really good.

Last edited:

ventura726

Aug 7, 2014
I currently have both. Got the G3 the day it came out and the Z2 yesterday. I also loved the G2 and wish I never would have gotten rid of it. I was expecting the G3 to be a newer, better version of that. It is and isn't. The screen doesn't seem as good as it is hyped to be. I actually think the screen on the Z2 is a little nicer overall, but it doesn't bother me unless I'm looking at them side by side. I never had lag issues with my G3, and I like the form factor and some of the little features (clip tray, dual view) a lot. But the one big disappointment for me with the G3 is the battery. It's not terrible, just not as good as I expected. I know the screen eats up a lot of juice, but I used to have to work extra hard to drain my G2. With the G3 I get great standby time, but as soon as I'm out and about and have to use the phone a lot, it doesn't cut it. If I'm out with friends and I wanna look something up, I actually stop and think whether or not it is important enough to waste my battery. Yesterday I was only able to charge the Z2 to 75% and I was out for about 10 hours. I used the phone quite a bit and the battery was barely affected. I was at a little over 40% when I got home after fairly heavy usage. I'll see how it performs overall in the next week and see if it is gonna be my new every day phone or not.

Jakir7

Oct 19, 2010
London
I've used both the g3 and z2 then decided to keep the z2 as my primary phone. it has a few advantages over the g3, main difference for me was general performance due to having 3gb ram in the z2 over the 2gb ram in the g3

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

I've used both the g3 and z2 then decided to keep the z2 as my primary phone. it has a few advantages over the g3, main difference for me was general performance due to having 3gb ram in the z2 over the 2gb ram in the g3