Malfunctioning Phone...A Good Thing?

Search This thread

Devildog8791

Sep 15, 2009
Lonoke, AR
I lost data, voice and text on my phone last Saturday night (11/19) just by doing a factory reset on my Incredible. I didn't notice it until Sunday afternoon when I left the house because I was on wifi at home. I realized that I didn't have any 3G, so when I got home I disabled wifi and started to try and troubleshoot. I could not get it fixed, so I called Verizon.

I talked to the level one tech and she got my text and voice working. She couldn't get my data working, so she handed me off to level two. After a total of about an hour on the phone, it was determined that I was in need of a replacement.

I was told that I would receive the replacement phone on Tuesday (11/22) by 3:00 PM. I received it at work and opened it up to find the camera lense was loose in the box. I figured that it was not a big deal and just stuck it back on the phone. I put it aside since I was at work and didn't want to go through all the setup there.

When I got home, I started playing with it and realized the power button was messed up. I would have to push it 4-5 times to get it to work. I couldn't handle that, so I called them on Wednesday morning and they said that they would send out another replacement.

I received the second replacement today and got it activated. After the automatic reboot, it went into a bootloop. I pulled the battery and restarted it. I booted into the homescreen and I started to set it up. When I opened the app drawer, the phone rebooted. When it started back up, it went into another bootloop.

I called them back and I told them that I was getting a little irritated about this and they said they didn't blame me, they would be too. They said that if they couldn't get it fixed this time that they would try to replace it with something else.

The customer service rep transferred me to tech support and she had me go into the bootloader to do a factory reset. When it rebooted, it was still in a bootloop. She said that she would put in an order for another replacement and I asked her since I was only a month away from an upgrade, if I could just upgrade early. She asked me if that was what I wanted to do and I told her as long as I didn't have to pay any extra, then that was what I wanted to do. She told me that it would be just like upgrading on 12/28/11 (My upgrade date). I told her that was what I wanted to do. I also asked her if it affected my plan at all and she said no, everything would stay the same, just a different phone.

My Rezound will be here on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 00McD00

pastalero

May 13, 2011
Nice! Though I'm sure that was a pain to deal with,it ended well.
I'm confident that it'll have root in due time,nevermind all the pissing and moaning about it over on the Rezound board ;)

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
I lost data, voice and text on my phone last Saturday night (11/19) just by doing a factory reset on my Incredible. I didn't notice it until Sunday afternoon when I left the house because I was on wifi at home. I realized that I didn't have any 3G, so when I got home I disabled wifi and started to try and troubleshoot. I could not get it fixed, so I called Verizon.

I talked to the level one tech and she got my text and voice working. She couldn't get my data working, so she handed me off to level two. After a total of about an hour on the phone, it was determined that I was in need of a replacement.

I was told that I would receive the replacement phone on Tuesday (11/22) by 3:00 PM. I received it at work and opened it up to find the camera lense was loose in the box. I figured that it was not a big deal and just stuck it back on the phone. I put it aside since I was at work and didn't want to go through all the setup there.

When I got home, I started playing with it and realized the power button was messed up. I would have to push it 4-5 times to get it to work. I couldn't handle that, so I called them on Wednesday morning and they said that they would send out another replacement.

I received the second replacement today and got it activated. After the automatic reboot, it went into a bootloop. I pulled the battery and restarted it. I booted into the homescreen and I started to set it up. When I opened the app drawer, the phone rebooted. When it started back up, it went into another bootloop.

I called them back and I told them that I was getting a little irritated about this and they said they didn't blame me, they would be too. They said that if they couldn't get it fixed this time that they would try to replace it with something else.

The customer service rep transferred me to tech support and she had me go into the bootloader to do a factory reset. When it rebooted, it was still in a bootloop. She said that she would put in an order for another replacement and I asked her since I was only a month away from an upgrade, if I could just upgrade early. She asked me if that was what I wanted to do and I told her as long as I didn't have to pay any extra, then that was what I wanted to do. She told me that it would be just like upgrading on 12/28/11 (My upgrade date). I told her that was what I wanted to do. I also asked her if it affected my plan at all and she said no, everything would stay the same, just a different phone.

LUCKY. now i know what it takes to get a new phone im going to try it. :D

dawynkoop

Jun 5, 2009
Fort Wayne
I used that exact excuse (sort of) to get a brand shiny new HTC Rezound a month early. I called Verizon "Customer Service" and told them the screen on my DInc shattered and asked if they could bump my upgrade date so I could just get a new phone rather that getting a warranty replacement. Two days later and a shiny new Rezound was in my hands.

What did you end up getting?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

visionviper

Nov 9, 2011
I used that exact excuse (sort of) to get a brand shiny new HTC Rezound a month early. I called Verizon "Customer Service" and told them the screen on my DInc shattered and asked if they could bump my upgrade date so I could just get a new phone rather that getting a warranty replacement. Two days later and a shiny new Rezound was in my hands.

What did you end up getting?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

I'm a year away from being able to upgrade :(

No hope for me in doing something like that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hit it with a hammer.