[Q] Does "OK, Google" work (SlimSaber)

Search This thread

Spartan_Don

Jan 21, 2014
Just recently updated to SlimSaber / 4.4.2 on my Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959V.

Love that we've got new life on an old device, thanks to those who made this possible!!!

Question: Is it possible to use the "OK, Google" voice command with this phone without pressing any buttons?

daothanhduy1996

Mar 31, 2012
Hochiminh City
Just recently updated to SlimSaber / 4.4.2 on my Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959V.

Love that we've got new life on an old device, thanks to those who made this possible!!!

Question: Is it possible to use the "OK, Google" voice command with this phone without pressing any buttons?

You have to flash or install the GEL - Google e_whatever launcher - to have that feature, find it urself. Slimsaber comes w Launcher3.apk, a modified GEL so it doesn't support that feature natively due to license or so I think.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Spartan_Don

Jan 21, 2014
You have to flash or install the GEL - Google e_whatever launcher - to have that feature, find it urself. Slimsaber comes w Launcher3.apk, a modified GEL so it doesn't support that feature natively due to license or so I think.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Where would I get this, and would it be safe to install that alone from TWRP or do I need to do something prior to intstall (wiping, etc.)? Also, any negative performance implications here? I love the performance of the phone as it is.

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
First off, any time you add new functionality to a phone (any phone), especially if it has "always on" capabilities (including checking things for you in the background and data sync) you will see "performance degradation" to some level. You're asking the phone to do more. There is no getting around that. The question is really, "Will I notice worse performance?"

You will:
  • Consume more of the space in /system, potentially not being able to install the whole 150 MB or so of Google apps without removing some of the other system apps or converting them to user apps
  • Consume more space in /data/dalvik-cache, potentially running out of space in /data
  • Have many more services running in the background, meaning
    • Lower batter life
    • More data consumption
    • More competition for system resources (less responsive phone)

How important that is to you against voice-command operation of your phone is a personal decision.

Where to get Gapps? I'm using the ones that @BaNkS puts together -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012857

Others like the ones from Paranoid Android -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

Within reason, they should all be about the same, as long as they are current. There have been a couple revisions of the apps from Google since the initial release of KitKat, some of which apparently work better than others.

GFX.myst.

Jul 19, 2011
If you want, you can try the PA stock GApps, It replaces the default AOSP Launcher with GEL (Google Experience Launcher) along with other google apps. Here's a link to it from my DB. I'll warn you now though, it's huge in file size(about 264 MB). List of what's in the package is below.

GOOGLE STOCK PACKAGE

This package is recommended for most users of current devices (legacy device owners may want to use Mini Modular GApps due to the size of this package). It includes all the Google Apps that come standard on Nexus devices.
In this package you will find the Core Base¹, Google Experience Launcher (replaces stock/AOSP launcher), Google PhotoSphere Camera/Gallery², Sun Beam Live Wallpaper, and the following Play Store applications:

Chrome Browser (replaces stock/AOSP Browser) | Cloud Print | Gmail | Google+ | Google Calendar (replaces stock/AOSP Calendar) | Google Drive | Google Earth | Google Keep | Google Text-to-Speech
Google Keyboard (replaces stock/AOSP Keyboard) | Google Play Books | Google Play Games | Google Play Newsstand | Google Play Music | Google Play Movies | Google Play services
Google Search | Google Wallet | Hangouts (replaces stock/AOSP SMS App) | Maps | Quickoffice | Sound Search for Google Play | Street View on Google Maps | TalkBack | YouTube

http://acidify.us/LN6CyL

If you want the Mini Modular GApps, let me know and I'll link that one also (currently downloading and syncing to my DB, so might be a little bit). That file size is around 122 MB.

Spartan_Don

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks everyone. I think I will stay streamlined and just use Google search voice commands.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, any time you add new functionality to a phone (any phone), especially if it has "always on" capabilities (including checking things for you in the background and data sync) you will see "performance degradation" to some level. You're asking the phone to do more. There is no getting around that. The question is really, "Will I notice worse performance?"

You will:
    • Consume more of the space in /system, potentially not being able to install the whole 150 MB or so of Google apps without removing some of the other system apps or converting them to user apps
    • Consume more space in /data/dalvik-cache, potentially running out of space in /data
    • Have many more services running in the background, meaning
      • Lower batter life
      • More data consumption
      • More competition for system resources (less responsive phone)

How important that is to you against voice-command operation of your phone is a personal decision.

Where to get Gapps? I'm using the ones that @BaNkS puts together -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012857

Others like the ones from Paranoid Android -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

Within reason, they should all be about the same, as long as they are current. There have been a couple revisions of the apps from Google since the initial release of KitKat, some of which apparently work better than others.