Dark mark beside nfc logo

Search This thread

melvinsim

Jan 10, 2011
Hi all,

I just noticed a dark mark behind the phone right beside the NFC logo and it's quite obvious from certain angles.

I don't use the phone extensively - messaging, twitter, instagram, non graphic intensive games.

Anyone know what caused the mark? I suspect its the processor or graphic chip.

Do you think it's a valid reason to head down to the repair centre and is it covered under warranty?

Thanks.

DSC02415.JPG

DSC02414.JPG

DSC02413.JPG

DSC02412.JPG

melvinsim

Jan 10, 2011
It's more obvious in the 2nd and 3rd photos.

It's a dark square right beside the nfc logo and it's quite difficult to show with a camera

I'm posting to see if I am the other one or if there's others like me too.

Last edited:

adam20115

Apr 19, 2012
I have a white Z1 and I can't see anything below or around the nfc icon

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

t1mman

Oct 8, 2008
I have a white one also and I can see a sort of "halo" around the NFC from certain angles with certain lights, but nothing worth saying!

EDIT: Now I see, looks like it's about 1"x1" darker spot on the left? Seems rather weird indeed, do you have a protector on this side? You can look at a disassembly video to see if it's close to a processor... Surely is weird!

Last edited:

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
I can see the square from your pictures and I can say this, back cover is in glass and there is not way that any chip or whatever can do such a thing. Only 2 things can be, 1- the paint of the back cover (which I suppose is not on the glass but is under), 2-Back Plastic protector. I will suggest to take off first the plastic back protector and check if the square still there.

melvinsim

Jan 10, 2011
Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

I removed the protector but the mark is still there, so it's on the phone itself.

I'm thinking if the mark got to do with the chip heating up the paint or back panel thus causing the dark mark?

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

I removed the protector but the mark is still there, so it's on the phone itself.

I'm thinking if the mark got to do with the chip heating up the paint or back panel thus causing the dark mark?

This protector behind is in case you break the glass to not hurt you...and i think it's impossible to heat sufficiently to make a dark mark like that.

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
If you watch this YouTube clip. There is actually a square heatshield for a chip in that region behind the back cover. Maybe that would cause it. I don't know if my eyes tricked me but it looked like his back cover also had that square.

Sony Xperia Z1 Teardown: http://youtu.be/SvJKVxfKqFc

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app