[Q] CWM ADB Shell All Commands Permission Denied

Search This thread

MitchumMan

Jun 10, 2014
Greetings,

I'm new here, and can't get over to the developers forums to ask. I have two GT-I9500s for development purposes, one if full of junk, and the other is still stock, except for recovery. They both have CWM Recovery v6.0.3.2, the latest available pre-compiled I've found. The stock phone has only been booted once. That system is not rooted (and this is my whole point, I want as close to stock as possible)

I am attempting to extract the system image from Stock I9500. I have booted into CWM Recovery mode, then "adb shell" into the device. All commands I issue to the shell return "Permission Denied"

Code:
:$ adb shell
~ $ ls
/sbin/sh: ls: Permission denied
~ $ dd of=/storage/extSdCard/SYSTEM.img if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20 bs=4069
/sbin/sh: dd: Permission denied
~ $ su
/sbin/sh: su: Permission denied
~ $ sudo su
/sbin/sh: sudo: Permission denied

I have tried to use Advanced->Fix Permissions to no avail.

CWM is pure and latest from www dot clockworkmod dot com slash rommanager (new users apparently cannot post links). CWM is able successfully operate "Backup to External" from the stock device.

The end goal is to clone the clean, stock device onto the other one. CWM claims success on "Restore from External" to the other device, but it sits on the "Samsung" loading screen forever.

A solution to either or both of these problems would be appreciated.

This was accidentally posted to General a few minutes ago, but as a new user, I don't have the ability to delete it.

-MM

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
You need to boot the device and then connect it to adb. Then you get a popup on your phone to allow your pc. After that you can use adb from cwm.

MitchumMan

Jun 10, 2014
You need to boot the device and then connect it to adb. Then you get a popup on your phone to allow your pc. After that you can use adb from cwm.

I booted into android, connected it to Ubuntu, enabled ADB, authorized the device, chose to remember the device, then "adb shell" into the phone. I can LS and CD around.

I rebooted into CWM Recovery, did "adb shell" and still cannot execute LS. CD works but that is bash internal not a program. Other programs are still "Permission Denied"

MitchumMan

Jun 10, 2014
As resolution to my problem, I never did fix Clockwork Mod. Instead, I flashed TWRP for the I9500 and it allows me to execute
Code:
adb shell su -c ...

Last edited: