Soupkit - When you just can't get ADB to connect (and some other things).

Search This thread

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
WARNING:
Do not use this on Second Generation devices. This includes the Kindle Fire 2 and all Kindle Fire HDs. If your device is NOT running a software version of 6.3.2 and earlier, the tool you are looking for is here.

soupkit.jpg

The SoupKit

SoupKit consists of two major components: the SoupKit Installer and the SoupKit Utility.

The SoupKit Installer

This puts everything where it needs to be, installs any necessary dependencies, installs drivers, configures Linux to run adb and fastboot commands, puts the SoupKit in your $PATH and cleans up after itself. What this means for you is, you can open any terminal window and start entering adb or fastboot commands immediately. There's no need to change directories, add sudo commands or special operators ( ./ ). You can enter commands just as you see them in the tutorials. No more worrying about “ADB Offline”, “Status Unknown” or “List of devices attached ????????????????”. This alone can make a huge difference for anyone having Kindle Fire problems that can't be fixed in Windows or those who are overwhelmed by the technicalities of configuring Linux for Android. This part of the script alone can be invaluable for users fighting with Window's device drivers but this kit can do so much more...

The SoupKit Utility

mainmenug.jpg

bootmodemenu.jpg

installmenu.jpg

mountmenu.jpg

This is for the people who just can't wrap their heads around all the things you need to learn about how the Kindle Fire works, although it is still useful for those who already have the knowledge. Hopefully it will prevent users from unnecessarily sending their devices back to Amazon (not that the damage hasn't already been done).

The SoupKit Utility can...

• Detect bootmodes, effectively
  • Change bootmodes, quickly
  • Install custom recovery w/md5 check (from any bootmode)
  • Install any recovery you choose
  • Install custom or stock bootloader w/md5 check (from any bootmode)
  • Launch Pokey9000's Firekit, easily
  • Fix “Failure to mount...” issues (i.e. sdcard won't mount in recovery)
  • Transfer files to sdcard or other directory, easily
  • Prep device to safely “revert to stock” to prevent brickage

The SoupKit Utility will NOT...

• Root the Kindle Fire
  • Work for 2nd generation devices
  • Fix app problems
  • Provide ETAs
  • Allow you to post in the development section
  • Make you more attractive
  • Fix stupidity (sorry, I tried)

This has only been tested on Ubuntu 12.x but should work for any Ubuntu and should theoretically work for any Debian based distro with apt-get installed.

How to use it:

Well, first you need Linux. OH NOES! Not the “L” word!

Luckily, all Linux distros are free to download and install on your computer. It can also be booted from a USB flash drive so you don't have to wipe out your current OS (although you probably should anyway). You can use a VM, but the only VM that I've found that can detect the Kindle Fire in fastboot mode is Parallels. Vmware won't cut it, and VirtualBox sure as hell won't cut it so don't waste your time with them if you ever need to do anything in fastboot (if you're bricked, you need fastboot). Probably the best method to get Linux running for a new user is by setting up a Linux LiveUSB.

I'm not going to teach you how to set up a Linux LiveUSB, but there are plenty of FREE programs out there that will not only create a Linux LiveUSB for you, but will download your choice of distro as well, and all you need is a USB flash drive (preferably 8GB or larger). A Google search of “Linux LiveUSB” will offer plenty of choices, although, PendriveLinux seems to be a favorite among most. Just be sure to add plenty of “persistence” (1 or more gigabytes) or you will lose everything every time you reboot. And the better quality of flash drive you can use, the better it will be in the long run. Some flash drives just don't do well and can cause some file system corruption over time (not something you want to be dealing with while you're having Kindle Fire problems).

You'll also have to figure out how to boot your computer from a USB. Check your computer's BIOS manufacturer website for instructions on how to do this.

If you're using a LiveUSB, there is no root/sudo password, just hit enter.

Once you have Linux installed and booted, you need to make sure your Internet is working. It may take some configuration on your part but it is necessary for the SoupKit to install properly. Luckily, once you have an Internet connection in Linux, the hard part is over.

Don't put the SoupKit.zip on the USB drive before creating the LiveUSB. Instead, use the web browser to navigate to this page and download it once you have Linux running and your Internet connected. Once it's downloaded, you'll likely find it in your Downloads folder. Right-click the “SoupKit.zip”, select “Extract here” open the SoupKit folder and follow the instructions in the README.

At any point after instalation, the SoupKit can be launched by opening a terminal window and entering “soupkit.sh” (without quotes).

Download:
[*]SoupKit w/SoupKit Utility 1.0

File hosting provided by Dev-Host.
No waiting, just high speed downloads. You're welcome ;)

*If you have already installed the alpha version (8/32) of the SoupKit, delete your existing ~/bin/SoupKit folder before proceeding. This new version adds files necessary for some options found in the SoupKit Utility to work properly.

*The stock bootloader has been updated by Amazon to not display anything with "fastboot devices" and you can only enter one fastboot command at a time before you have to shut it down and start it up again. I have come up with a dirty workaround to deal with it so if you have a stock bootloader and get "Device Offline", just try to select one of the options anyway. The script will hopefully get you through it.

*32bit libraries are necessary for this to work. The script will detect whether you are running 32 or 64 bit and download the 32bit libs if necessary. The problem with this is Ubuntu is no longer supporting ia32-libs and they may or may not download when needed. It's best to use a 32bit system or create a 32bit LiveUSB to avoid any problems, although I've never personally had any problems downloading them.

I think that just about covers it. I've tried to make this as “new user” friendly as possible, while including as much error checking as I could think of, in order to prevent mishaps that may be caused by inexperience. If you have any trouble with this, please don't be afraid to ask (here preferably). In the meantime learn everything you can about your device so you won't be dependent on tools like this to get you out of a jam when things go really wrong.

Includes:

• Team Win Recovery Project - TWRP 2.2.2.1
    This is not the most recent release of TWRP for the Kindle Fire. I'll try to include the most recent release when the bugs get ironed out.
  • Cannibal Open Touch Recovery - COTR 2.0.2
    Again, this may not be the most recent release of COTR, but be sure to check out the Official COTR forums and the COTR Google+ page.
    * Fortunately, If you want to install a more recent version of the included recoveries or another one of your choosing, I have included an option to install ANY recovery.img at any point so there is no need to constantly update the utility.
  • FireFireFire - FFF 1.4a
    FireFireFire 1.4a has the ability to change bootmodes on the fly. If you plan to do anything with your device at all, definitely install this bootloader. It will save you plenty of heartache in the future.
  • Stock Kindle Fire bootloader (for testing purposes)
  • Firekit
    I can't say enough about the Firekit...so I'm not going to try. If you ever have a problem where your device will show absolutely no outward signs of life, you definitely need the Firekit

Disclaimer: I've said it before and I'll say it again...I take no responsibility for anything, EVER. Use this at your own risk. If the Kindle Fire explodes in your lap, burning the hair off your man purse, don't come crying to me. If you used this tool with a Kindle Fire 2 or Kindle Fire HD and turn your device into a doorstop, don't come crying to me. If your girlfriend/wife leaves you because you broke her brand new Kindle Fire from using this tool...on second thought, go ahead and send her crying to me, I'll fix it. :cowboy:

Credits & Thanks:

• kinfauns - "practically" (<-he made me say it) everything I ever learned about the Kindle Fire, I learned from him. His guides are the most comprehensive Kindle Fire guides on the Internet (prove me wrong). If you want to get the most out of your Kindle Fire experience, go and read all of his posts. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn. kinfauns was an invaluable mentor to me and without him trying to keep me on the "straight and narrow", this would have taken a lot longer to complete. I cannot thank him enough for what I've learned.
  • Thepooch - for always being there when I needed something tested, and always being able to catch things that I would have missed otherwise.
  • Pokey9000 - for FireFireFire, the Firekit and his bootmode binaries. Pokey is a quiet force around here but his knowledge and advancements have saved many users from getting stuck with $200 paperweights (including me). Send a donation his way, he deserves it.
  • Hashcode - for FireFireFire 1.4 and pretty much everything else he's done for us. His constant support for this lowly device speaks volumes of his character and it will be a devestating blow to our community if he ever decides to leave us.
  • sblood86 - for Canibal Open Touch Recovery and his tutorial on enabling adb in Ubuntu.
  • Dees_Troy and Team Win - for Team Win Recovery Project. TWRP has been by far the most supported and stable open recovery I've seen.
  • forest_1971 - for his repartitioning tutorial
  • smirkis - for inadvertantly giving me the idea to learn shell scripting and start work on the SoupKit
  • Tahl - for allowing me to study some of his scripts and acquire an immense amount of knowledge from them.
  • All the people who helped me test the script in it's earlier stages.
  • Anyone else I may have forgotten.
  • The entire Kindle Fire XDA community

I hope this helps you to fix your Kindle Fire problems. If anyone has any questions, please, don't be afraid to ask...I'll be glad to help.

Last edited:

JimCo06

Apr 20, 2012
Thank you VERY much. What perfect timing, yesterday I set my PC up to dual boot Ubuntu. I got everything setup and followed the directions in Sblood86's instruction thread to Enable adb under Ubuntu but I messed something up because adb devices didn't find my KF. Just found your thread, installed the Soupkit and success first try. Now I don't have to figure out what I did wrong. :) Saved me a lot of time so thanks again.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

JimCo06

Apr 20, 2012
UPDATE: It appears your "Idiot-proof" comment may have underestimated some of us. I was playing with adb today and ran into a problem. Some adb commands, devices and push for example, work perfectly. However I could not use adb to change boot modes.

When I enter
adb shell ome idme bootmode 5001

I get an error
Invalid permissions

So I tried putting sudo in front of it and I get
sudo: adb: command not found

I am confident this is easy to fix but I am just learning adb and Ubuntu. I have been reading all of the beginner guides I can find but I haven't found a solution yet so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit----
NEVERMIND - SOLVED- I obviously combined the fastboot and adb commands together. Leave the ome part out and it works perfectly. I said you underestimated us idiots.

Thanks again for the great kit.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

Last edited:

Fallon9111

Jul 1, 2012
The Shire, Middle Earth
Idiot proof you say??

Wait, what? Idiot-proof?

yeah, but seeing as anyone on linux likely knows how to use a computer at least reasonably well and anyone on linux and xda surely will, you shouldn't need idiot proofing. Though having said that...

will this work with non kindle devices, ie the nexus 7?? I know this is in the kindle fire forum section, but is this universal??

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
yeah, but seeing as anyone on linux likely knows how to use a computer at least reasonably well and anyone on linux and xda surely will, you shouldn't need idiot proofing. Though having said that...

1) The "Idiot-proof" part of the title is out of humor and fun, get over it.

2) Pay attention. The Soupkit is for people who otherwise have no other working options with Windows (and there are plenty), not people who ALREADY know Linux, although it does make the process a lot easier. I thought I made that perfectly clear.

will this work with non kindle devices, ie the nexus 7?? I know this is in the kindle fire forum section, but is this universal??
3) Seriously? No. KF only.

Last edited:

beekah

Mar 19, 2009
Bar Harbor, ME
Well the xda-developers portal post that links here definitely makes it sound as if this works with other android devices. I was about to install this. Sorry to bug ya, but would you care to explain why this is KF only. I apologize, but am curious and this would make some things much easier for any droid noobs. like me

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Well the xda-developers portal post that links here definitely makes it sound as if this works with other android devices. I was about to install this. Sorry to bug ya, but would you care to explain why this is KF only. I apologize, but am curious and this would make some things much easier for any droid noobs. like me

It is just a simple shell script that installs and configures the adb driver and sets udev rules for the Kindle Fire. You can edit the script and add that particular information for your particular device pretty easily, if you know what to look for.

Reactions: Jared631 and beekah

jason_cheng

Aug 13, 2012
Testing on ArchLinux proved to be unsuccessful so don't waste your time.

Hey soupmagnet install_it.sh contains Debian- and APT-specific commands, packages and paths so it will not work on non-apt distros (apt-get, dpkg, ia32-libs).

The script also makes use of addgroup, which may not be available on other systems. /etc/init.d is also distro-specific, as for e.g. Arch has rc.d.

Otherwise, it's all good. New users (that is, for this use case) should be directed to get Ubuntu or Mint anyway. Just thought this info should be up at a glance in case someone's interested in the Whys.

Last edited:
Reactions: soupmagnet

tmlhodge

Dec 12, 2010
Eastern Time Zone
Yeah this guy must think debian is the only linux out there. How bout some arch support?

Edit: Just checked and nowhere in the OP does the word DEBIAN come up. Even though it is the only type of linux this will work on.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING:
    Do not use this on Second Generation devices. This includes the Kindle Fire 2 and all Kindle Fire HDs. If your device is NOT running a software version of 6.3.2 and earlier, the tool you are looking for is here.

soupkit.jpg

The SoupKit

SoupKit consists of two major components: the SoupKit Installer and the SoupKit Utility.

The SoupKit Installer

This puts everything where it needs to be, installs any necessary dependencies, installs drivers, configures Linux to run adb and fastboot commands, puts the SoupKit in your $PATH and cleans up after itself. What this means for you is, you can open any terminal window and start entering adb or fastboot commands immediately. There's no need to change directories, add sudo commands or special operators ( ./ ). You can enter commands just as you see them in the tutorials. No more worrying about “ADB Offline”, “Status Unknown” or “List of devices attached ????????????????”. This alone can make a huge difference for anyone having Kindle Fire problems that can't be fixed in Windows or those who are overwhelmed by the technicalities of configuring Linux for Android. This part of the script alone can be invaluable for users fighting with Window's device drivers but this kit can do so much more...

The SoupKit Utility

mainmenug.jpg

bootmodemenu.jpg

installmenu.jpg

mountmenu.jpg

This is for the people who just can't wrap their heads around all the things you need to learn about how the Kindle Fire works, although it is still useful for those who already have the knowledge. Hopefully it will prevent users from unnecessarily sending their devices back to Amazon (not that the damage hasn't already been done).

The SoupKit Utility can...

• Detect bootmodes, effectively
    • Change bootmodes, quickly
    • Install custom recovery w/md5 check (from any bootmode)
    • Install any recovery you choose
    • Install custom or stock bootloader w/md5 check (from any bootmode)
    • Launch Pokey9000's Firekit, easily
    • Fix “Failure to mount...” issues (i.e. sdcard won't mount in recovery)
    • Transfer files to sdcard or other directory, easily
    • Prep device to safely “revert to stock” to prevent brickage

The SoupKit Utility will NOT...

• Root the Kindle Fire
    • Work for 2nd generation devices
    • Fix app problems
    • Provide ETAs
    • Allow you to post in the development section
    • Make you more attractive
    • Fix stupidity (sorry, I tried)

This has only been tested on Ubuntu 12.x but should work for any Ubuntu and should theoretically work for any Debian based distro with apt-get installed.

How to use it:

Well, first you need Linux. OH NOES! Not the “L” word!

Luckily, all Linux distros are free to download and install on your computer. It can also be booted from a USB flash drive so you don't have to wipe out your current OS (although you probably should anyway). You can use a VM, but the only VM that I've found that can detect the Kindle Fire in fastboot mode is Parallels. Vmware won't cut it, and VirtualBox sure as hell won't cut it so don't waste your time with them if you ever need to do anything in fastboot (if you're bricked, you need fastboot). Probably the best method to get Linux running for a new user is by setting up a Linux LiveUSB.

I'm not going to teach you how to set up a Linux LiveUSB, but there are plenty of FREE programs out there that will not only create a Linux LiveUSB for you, but will download your choice of distro as well, and all you need is a USB flash drive (preferably 8GB or larger). A Google search of “Linux LiveUSB” will offer plenty of choices, although, PendriveLinux seems to be a favorite among most. Just be sure to add plenty of “persistence” (1 or more gigabytes) or you will lose everything every time you reboot. And the better quality of flash drive you can use, the better it will be in the long run. Some flash drives just don't do well and can cause some file system corruption over time (not something you want to be dealing with while you're having Kindle Fire problems).

You'll also have to figure out how to boot your computer from a USB. Check your computer's BIOS manufacturer website for instructions on how to do this.

If you're using a LiveUSB, there is no root/sudo password, just hit enter.

Once you have Linux installed and booted, you need to make sure your Internet is working. It may take some configuration on your part but it is necessary for the SoupKit to install properly. Luckily, once you have an Internet connection in Linux, the hard part is over.

Don't put the SoupKit.zip on the USB drive before creating the LiveUSB. Instead, use the web browser to navigate to this page and download it once you have Linux running and your Internet connected. Once it's downloaded, you'll likely find it in your Downloads folder. Right-click the “SoupKit.zip”, select “Extract here” open the SoupKit folder and follow the instructions in the README.

At any point after instalation, the SoupKit can be launched by opening a terminal window and entering “soupkit.sh” (without quotes).

Download:
    [*]SoupKit w/SoupKit Utility 1.0

File hosting provided by Dev-Host.
    No waiting, just high speed downloads. You're welcome ;)

*If you have already installed the alpha version (8/32) of the SoupKit, delete your existing ~/bin/SoupKit folder before proceeding. This new version adds files necessary for some options found in the SoupKit Utility to work properly.

*The stock bootloader has been updated by Amazon to not display anything with "fastboot devices" and you can only enter one fastboot command at a time before you have to shut it down and start it up again. I have come up with a dirty workaround to deal with it so if you have a stock bootloader and get "Device Offline", just try to select one of the options anyway. The script will hopefully get you through it.

*32bit libraries are necessary for this to work. The script will detect whether you are running 32 or 64 bit and download the 32bit libs if necessary. The problem with this is Ubuntu is no longer supporting ia32-libs and they may or may not download when needed. It's best to use a 32bit system or create a 32bit LiveUSB to avoid any problems, although I've never personally had any problems downloading them.

I think that just about covers it. I've tried to make this as “new user” friendly as possible, while including as much error checking as I could think of, in order to prevent mishaps that may be caused by inexperience. If you have any trouble with this, please don't be afraid to ask (here preferably). In the meantime learn everything you can about your device so you won't be dependent on tools like this to get you out of a jam when things go really wrong.

Includes:

• Team Win Recovery Project - TWRP 2.2.2.1
      This is not the most recent release of TWRP for the Kindle Fire. I'll try to include the most recent release when the bugs get ironed out.
    • Cannibal Open Touch Recovery - COTR 2.0.2
      Again, this may not be the most recent release of COTR, but be sure to check out the Official COTR forums and the COTR Google+ page.
      * Fortunately, If you want to install a more recent version of the included recoveries or another one of your choosing, I have included an option to install ANY recovery.img at any point so there is no need to constantly update the utility.
    • FireFireFire - FFF 1.4a
      FireFireFire 1.4a has the ability to change bootmodes on the fly. If you plan to do anything with your device at all, definitely install this bootloader. It will save you plenty of heartache in the future.
    • Stock Kindle Fire bootloader (for testing purposes)
    • Firekit
      I can't say enough about the Firekit...so I'm not going to try. If you ever have a problem where your device will show absolutely no outward signs of life, you definitely need the Firekit

Disclaimer: I've said it before and I'll say it again...I take no responsibility for anything, EVER. Use this at your own risk. If the Kindle Fire explodes in your lap, burning the hair off your man purse, don't come crying to me. If you used this tool with a Kindle Fire 2 or Kindle Fire HD and turn your device into a doorstop, don't come crying to me. If your girlfriend/wife leaves you because you broke her brand new Kindle Fire from using this tool...on second thought, go ahead and send her crying to me, I'll fix it. :cowboy:

Credits & Thanks:

• kinfauns - "practically" (<-he made me say it) everything I ever learned about the Kindle Fire, I learned from him. His guides are the most comprehensive Kindle Fire guides on the Internet (prove me wrong). If you want to get the most out of your Kindle Fire experience, go and read all of his posts. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn. kinfauns was an invaluable mentor to me and without him trying to keep me on the "straight and narrow", this would have taken a lot longer to complete. I cannot thank him enough for what I've learned.
    • Thepooch - for always being there when I needed something tested, and always being able to catch things that I would have missed otherwise.
    • Pokey9000 - for FireFireFire, the Firekit and his bootmode binaries. Pokey is a quiet force around here but his knowledge and advancements have saved many users from getting stuck with $200 paperweights (including me). Send a donation his way, he deserves it.
    • Hashcode - for FireFireFire 1.4 and pretty much everything else he's done for us. His constant support for this lowly device speaks volumes of his character and it will be a devestating blow to our community if he ever decides to leave us.
    • sblood86 - for Canibal Open Touch Recovery and his tutorial on enabling adb in Ubuntu.
    • Dees_Troy and Team Win - for Team Win Recovery Project. TWRP has been by far the most supported and stable open recovery I've seen.
    • forest_1971 - for his repartitioning tutorial
    • smirkis - for inadvertantly giving me the idea to learn shell scripting and start work on the SoupKit
    • Tahl - for allowing me to study some of his scripts and acquire an immense amount of knowledge from them.
    • All the people who helped me test the script in it's earlier stages.
    • Anyone else I may have forgotten.
    • The entire Kindle Fire XDA community

I hope this helps you to fix your Kindle Fire problems. If anyone has any questions, please, don't be afraid to ask...I'll be glad to help.

1) The "Idiot-proof" part of the title is out of humor and fun, get over it.

2) Pay attention. The Soupkit is for people who otherwise have no other working options with Windows (and there are plenty), not people who ALREADY know Linux, although it does make the process a lot easier. I thought I made that perfectly clear.

3) Seriously? No. KF only.
    I said you underestimated us idiots.
    Nope, not at all. ;)

Thanks again for the great kit.
    Oh, No...Thank You

In all seriousness, I'm glad everything worked out for you. If you ever need anything or have anymore "questions", please, don't be afraid to ask.
    For those who wonder I use this to create the live usb http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ must be quick formatted in windows fat32
    And this distro of linux http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=103 32 bit
    Just a little configuring in the control center if your using a touch pad mouse..
    And keyboard shortcut for terminal can be added as well...