Manually flash the OTA 4.1.2 update

Search This thread

dnanj

Feb 5, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
There seems to be quite a good number of folks here that have not yet received the OTA update.

For those that are tired of checking and waiting or playing the date game. See the last post in link below and be sure to thank reinbeau for hosting the file:

AT&T to release OTA update on Dec. 27 to enable Multi-Window on Note II

Ok, guys, go blow up my Mediafire account. update.zip. I used the /cache method and stock recovery, didn't wipe my phone but did break root; you are welcome to CWM it in Recovery, but it will wipe. Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Note: There are two ways to apply this update. The method I recommend requires that you be rooted.

Method 1:
Download the update zip file from the link that is referenced in above post. Root your phone and use root explorer to copy to /cache. Once copied; do full unroot, reboot into recovery, flash from cache, then reboot and enjoy 4.1.2.

Another note: Just to clarify, this update file is for stock 4.1.2 that is sent via OTA. Also, I suggest to unroot before installing the update because it will break root. You can root again using the exynos exploit after applying the update. Also, this process does require stock recovery!

Method 2:
If you do not want to root your phone. You can save the update.zip on your external sdcard and apply from there but by doing so I believe it will wipe your device. By updating from cache, I was able to update my wife's phone without it being wiped clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

CodeMajic

Dec 9, 2012
Reboot into custom recovery or stock recovery

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

didn't work for me. it failed while flashing in TWRP

CodeMajic

Dec 9, 2012
Installed this from the cache. Only problem is that kies doesn't recognize this as official firmware. This kinda bothers me a little.

dnanj

Feb 5, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Installed this from the cache. Only problem is that kies doesn't recognize this as official firmware. This kinda bothers me a little.

That's because this has not been released to Kies. If you were on stock rom and recovery, your status should show normal and it should show as official when you boot into download mode.

Also, if this was not official, you wont be able to flash this using stock recovery since it checks the signature for the file and it would have failed signature verification.

aarrodri

Jan 12, 2009
There seems to be quite a good number of folks here that have not yet received the OTA update.

For those that are tired of checking and waiting or playing the date game. See the last post in link below and be sure to thank reinbeau for hosting the file:

Note: There are two ways to apply this update. The method I recommend requires that you be rooted.

Method 1:
Download the update zip file from the link that is referenced in above post. Root your phone and use root explorer to copy to /cache. Once copied; do full unroot, reboot into recovery, flash from cache, then reboot and enjoy 4.1.2.

Another note: Just to clarify, this update file is for stock 4.1.2 that is sent via OTA. Also, I suggest to unroot before installing the update because it will break root. You can root again using the exynos exploit after applying the update.

Method 2:
If you do not want to root your phone. You can save the update.zip on your external sdcard and apply from there but by doing so I believe it will wipe your device. By updating from cache, I was able to update my wife's phone without it being wiped clean.

when I try to copy the zip to /cache uising root explorer I get an error "there was not enough free disk space to complete the paste operation ". Any ideas?

aarrodri

Jan 12, 2009
Try rebooting into recovery and clearing cache.

I tried recovery (volume up+home+power). I left buttons pressed and it only shows NOTE II splash screen then blanck then the screen again every 10 or so seconds.. never gets into recovery mode. It boot normally if I just press power button, and it goes into odin if I do VOL down +home+power. Any ideas why recovery is not working?

aarrodri

Jan 12, 2009
I tried recovery (volume up+home+power). I left buttons pressed and it only shows NOTE II splash screen then blanck then the screen again every 10 or so seconds.. never gets into recovery mode. It boot normally if I just press power button, and it goes into odin if I do VOL down +home+power. Any ideas why recovery is not working?

I think I just bricked my phone. Searching for answers to get into recovery mode I ran into a post mentioning GooManager. I tried recovery boot via that app and I am stuck in endleess loop of Samsung Note II screen :(. I posted question in new treat but if any have help for me please let me know :(

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36364265#post36364265

slicingtaco

May 8, 2012
C:\Earth\USA\California\Freakmont
when I try to copy the zip to /cache uising root explorer I get an error "there was not enough free disk space to complete the paste operation ". Any ideas?

What app are you using to do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

First of all you need to get into recovery mode, not download mode. To get into recovery you hold Volume up+Home button+Power button. You should only hold this three button combo until the screen flashes with the splash screen then immediately let go.

aarrodri

Jan 12, 2009
I think I just bricked my phone. Searching for answers to get into recovery mode I ran into a post mentioning GooManager. I tried recovery boot via that app and I am stuck in endleess loop of Samsung Note II screen :(. I posted question in new treat but if any have help for me please let me know :(

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36364265#post36364265

I was copying the file with root explorer.

I mentioned the "download mode " screen just to give a picture of the phone behavior(what is working vs what was not), did not meant to cause confusion there.

I have a new problem now as mentioned in my last post :(

I an attempt to get into recovery and clear the cache, I read in a forum that I could get into recovery via GOOMANAGER. I installed it and used "reboot to recovery " and now phone is stuck in ENLESS LOOP of the "samsung NOTE 2" screen.

I cannot make it boot normally now.I think the phone is stuck trynig to get into recovery similar to the manual way described before (when I press UP+HOME+POWER to get into recovery phone only looped samsung screen). HOw can I break the loop ?

The only screen working right now is ODIN (DOWN +HOME+POWER).

aarrodri

Jan 12, 2009
Thank for the help. I got this figured out earlier today in another post.. fully recovered and with multi window running. I do however appreciate your attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

boywonda

Jun 20, 2007
I'm not understanding how to do this. My device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Bell version 317 which I understand is the same as AT&T. I have unlocked and rooted my device on 4.1.1 and have Root explorer installed. Downloaded the update link and copied that file into the /cache folder....unrooted via superuser. When I try to get in2 recovery it is successful but I don't know what to do from there.....there's an option to format cache which I'm assuming will delete everything in that folder.

Also, I cannot install the zip via external sd card which the update is also on

Any help?

Also using a Mac

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok, guys, go blow up my Mediafire account. update.zip. I used the /cache method and stock recovery, didn't wipe my phone but did break root; you are welcome to CWM it in Recovery, but it will wipe. Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Method 1:

Another note: Just to clarify, this update file is for stock 4.1.2 that is sent via OTA. Also, I suggest to unroot before installing the update because it will break root. You can root again using the exynos exploit after applying the update. Also, this process does require stock recovery!

Method 2:

Great Thread.
    Hopefully it I'll end the "I haven't gotten the update yet :("
    And get people to manually update.

Great Thread.
    Hopefully it I'll end the "I haven't gotten the update yet :("
    And get people to manually update.

My thoughts exactly!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app
    Go to sammobile and download the stock rom then flash via odin.

note 2

Ok so I downloaded zip file to sd card. Do I have to unzip? I am not rooted. Do I update from recovery mode? Can someone walk me through the process step by step with method 2?

Once you have it on your sd card, and made your backups if you wanted to. Turn off the phone, the hold the volume up, home button and off button together all at once and wait for the phone to go in recovery mood before releasing them.

Use the volume button up or down to scroll to "updtae from sd" and use the off button to select by tapping it.
    From there is use pilot mood really. Just sit back n wait while it does it thing