New to Note, need advice picking a P600 ROM

Search This thread
So, I finally decided to upgrade from my old Xoom. It's been great, and still is, but I just got my tax refund and I haven't scratched my new-tech itch in several months. Been looking at this tab for a while because, simply put, it appears to be the best one out there. So when I saw it a couple days ago, I ordered the 32gb Groupon deal online for $425. Now, I'm usually a hardcore CyanogenMod fan, but looks like there's some fun stuff in TouchWiz to play around with on this tab. So I need a KNOX-free TW ROM, with the Samsung apps, but preferably no other bloat. And as many enhancements to the functionality as possible, mainly stuff to tweak and customize. Basically, I want AOSP, but with TW functionality. Obviously that's not entirely possible, so what's the closest I can get? I know I could use Xposed to get *PARTIAL* TW functionality on AOSP, but I want the full experience.
(PS: Also, if anyone wants to share the best way to root, I'd appreciate that too, although I could find it myself. I'm lazy =P)
(PPS: Oh, and I'd appreciate kernel suggestions as well.)

xlemonhed1

Sep 4, 2013
So, I finally decided to upgrade from my old Xoom. It's been great, and still is, but I just got my tax refund and I haven't scratched my new-tech itch in several months. Been looking at this tab for a while because, simply put, it appears to be the best one out there. So when I saw it a couple days ago, I ordered the 32gb to play around with on this tab. So I need a KNOX-free TW ROM, with the Samsung apps, but preferably no other bloat. And as many enhancements to the functionality as possible, mainly stuff to tweak and customize. Basically, I want AOSP, but with TW functionality. Obviously that's not entirely possible, so what's the closest I can get? I know I could use Xposed to get *PARTIAL* TW functionality on AOSP, but I want the full experience.
(PS: Also, if anyone wants to share the best way to root, I'd appreciate that too, although I could find it myself. I'm lazy =P)

Personally I always end up going back to CleanROM. On my note 2 I flashed probably around 30 different roms.. And even now I have CleanROM on both devices. As far as AOSP and TW, I'd much rather have TW over AOSP if it's actually smooth.

My vote/suggestion is CleanROM/bindroid with both GMD gesture control apps installed.

Reactions: Cheeky_Fink

frankdanktank

Jan 27, 2014
Im using clean rom with bindroid kernal. Clean rom was great then bindroid took it to the next level. I really want to try megablast since the maker's kernal was amazing

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Cleanrom with bindroid is a great combo. Word to the wise though, several of the xposed tweaks are incompatible and create big issues. Coming from an HP Touchpad, the note is great. I did like the AOSP roms on a tablet, but Samsung did it right.

Sent from behind your couch while chillin with the Boogeyman!

Looks like I'm going with CleanROM with the Bindroid kernel, then. Appreciate the advice, fellas.

Word to the wise though, several of the xposed tweaks are incompatible and create big issues.

Any specific ones you know of that I need to avoid? I have a ton on my S3, but being as old as it is, I've only got a few on my Xoom, didn't wanna bog it down. I was kinda looking forward to loading up the Note, because it can handle it. Currently I'm running BootManager, Network Speed Indicator, SnapShare, and the Xposed Preference Injector on the Xoom, but I wanted to add CrappaLinks, Pandora Patcher, XuiMod, and YouTube AdAway to those for the Note, and then play around with other mods.

Edit: Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Aldiko ereader app doesn't play nice on the Note because of the screen rez, I think. Is this true? I've been using Aldiko on my tab and phones for years, along with the Aldiko Sync app to keep everything up to date between devices. Am I gonna have to give up on that now?

Last edited:

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Lockscreen mod tweaks cause lockups and crashes. I've tried numerous times to get camera and other Widgets as I have on my note 3 without success. Ad away works great, but anything to do with framework files on touchwiz is picky. Tread carefully.

Lockscreen mod tweaks cause lockups and crashes. I've tried numerous times to get camera and other Widgets as I have on my note 3 without success. Ad away works great, but anything to do with framework files on touchwiz is picky. Tread carefully.

10-4. Guess I'll just activate mods one at a time, and see if anything messes up. If so, I can just flash my ROM again, should overwrite Xposed, and then avoid whichever mod caused the issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I finally decided to upgrade from my old Xoom. It's been great, and still is, but I just got my tax refund and I haven't scratched my new-tech itch in several months. Been looking at this tab for a while because, simply put, it appears to be the best one out there. So when I saw it a couple days ago, I ordered the 32gb to play around with on this tab. So I need a KNOX-free TW ROM, with the Samsung apps, but preferably no other bloat. And as many enhancements to the functionality as possible, mainly stuff to tweak and customize. Basically, I want AOSP, but with TW functionality. Obviously that's not entirely possible, so what's the closest I can get? I know I could use Xposed to get *PARTIAL* TW functionality on AOSP, but I want the full experience.

Personally I always end up going back to CleanROM. On my note 2 I flashed probably around 30 different roms.. And even now I have CleanROM on both devices. As far as AOSP and TW, I'd much rather have TW over AOSP if it's actually smooth.

My vote/suggestion is CleanROM/bindroid with both GMD gesture control apps installed.
    +1 for clean rom. Been running it for a couple days along with some xposed modules and definitely loving it.
    Im using clean rom with bindroid kernal. Clean rom was great then bindroid took it to the next level. I really want to try megablast since the maker's kernal was amazing
    Cleanrom with bindroid is a great combo. Word to the wise though, several of the xposed tweaks are incompatible and create big issues. Coming from an HP Touchpad, the note is great. I did like the AOSP roms on a tablet, but Samsung did it right.