power button stuck on "on"

Search This thread

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
Since yesterday my SGS is having a very strange issue: It seems that the power button is stuck on pressed state. When the phone was on I had the power menu appear and the phone shut down. Then it started again, only to turn off shortly after the second screen during boot, then looping in that state.
When I remove battery and put it back it automatically starts and then bootloops.
I can't get into recovery as it turns off before recovery can start. I can get into download mode but only for 3-4 seconds till the phone turns off again.
I removed the backplate and can't see any visible damage to the power button. Between the power buttons pins on the board there's a voltage of 7mv with battery removed, in case that means something to anyone.

So 2 questions arise:
- Any ideas on how to fix this? (apart from ripping of the power button which I'm not even sure would help)
- Any ideas how to get into a mode where I can backup my data or at least flash a stock rom? (Currently on CM9 with devil kernel and the devil logo shows for a second in the bootloop, not sure how the techs would like that if I was to sent it in for repair)

99x

Nov 21, 2011
Warwickshire
Since yesterday my SGS is having a very strange issue: It seems that the power button is stuck on pressed state. When the phone was on I had the power menu appear and the phone shut down. Then it started again, only to turn off shortly after the second screen during boot, then looping in that state.
When I remove battery and put it back it automatically starts and then bootloops.
I can't get into recovery as it turns off before recovery can start. I can get into download mode but only for 3-4 seconds till the phone turns off again.
I removed the backplate and can't see any visible damage to the power button. Between the power buttons pins on the board there's a voltage of 7mv with battery removed, in case that means something to anyone.

So 2 questions arise:
- Any ideas on how to fix this? (apart from ripping of the power button which I'm not even sure would help)
- Any ideas how to get into a mode where I can backup my data or at least flash a stock rom? (Currently on CM9 with devil kernel and the devil logo shows for a second in the bootloop, not sure how the techs would like that if I was to sent it in for repair)

Has there been any water damage to the phone/button? Sometimes this can cause the button to short. Or it might just be stuck, does the button physically click in as normal?

It could also be worse and have an actual hardware issue with the motherboard/power button interface

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
there hasn't been any water damage. actually, it's been used in the rain but that shouldn't really hurt a phone... just in case i let it try for quite a while but the problem didn't go away.
the button clicks as it used to do, no sound of water or damage there.

problem hardly could have been worse as the phone is completly unusable in this state as i can't even turn it on.

drunkideos

Sep 14, 2011
Hi,

A friend has just handed me an abandoned SGS with precisely the same problem.

The power button itself feels fine, ie it doesn't feel stuck, and you can feel it clicking as normal. I too removed the backplate and can't see any visible damage to the power button.

I note however that the water damage indicator 'sticker' mentioned here: "samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/4674-Galaxy-S-I9000-Service-Manual-How-To-disassemble-your-Galaxy-S"
is completely white, indicating possible water damage at some point.

Any ideas for a fix, or do you think it would be economical to seek a fix from a hardware repairer?

I can replicate the problem as described by XlAfbk above, by simply holding down the power button on my working i9000.

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
i did sent to phone to the only service location samsung lists for germany. they claimed it was water damage and refused to repair under warranty. repair would have cost ~280 euro.
i'm waiting for the unrepaired device now and will try to fix it myself, in the meantime i got a gnexus ;)

Reactions: drunkideos

drunkideos

Sep 14, 2011
Ok thanks. Please keep me posted if you do find a way to repair it yourself.
Until then, I guess mine's spare parts!

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
no more warranty for you? if you're in germany PM me for a repair shop.
ebay has power button replacements for ~4€ that you could try soldering on, replacing the original one, if that's what's broken for you. I checked mine with a multimeter and as there's still resistance it's not the power button for me.

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
uhm, I actually did fix it... while it's not completly back to normal i can at least turn on and off the phone, just turning display on and off with power button still doesn't work
some dust had gathered on the board, apparently shorting a circuit. just grab a brush and some canned air and clean the board.
i cleaned the main board at the very top and the bottom one near the middle (PM me for a photo of the location)

Last edited:

dark_knight35

Jan 15, 2012
Nice that it almost works now. Just thinking what an asshole Sammy is, they want more money for a maybe ~20€ repair than the device costs bought new.

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
the repair wouldn't have been 20€, they'd have replaced the whole mainboard for me, not just the power button. I have no idea whether just replacing the power button would help, just brought that up as that's the one item that could possibly be it and you can get for cheap.

my power button got worse again since my previous post btw. so something else must be wrong as well.

tuusjr

Aug 3, 2010
After my phone was on a rainy trip, I am suffering from the same issues as well. I checked the resistance of the power-switch, and the open-circuit resistance measured to 30 Ohms, while the closed resistance measured to 0. Of course, the open-circuit resistance will not measure the switch isolated, but still, I'd expect something in the range of at least some Kilos. Hopefully, the switch will function normally in some time (if the switch is the only problem).

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
if it doesn't fix itself remove the mainboard from the housing, check it using a strong magnifying glass for any traces of water (tiny white residue spots) and carefully clean them using with a small brush (and nothing but that!).
of course doing that will void all warranty!

tuusjr

Aug 3, 2010
I completely disassembled it in order to clean it properly, but it did not yield immediate results. However, however a few days of rest and it came back to life, and has been stable since. So it looks like the rest is the best advice for other unfortunates.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i did sent to phone to the only service location samsung lists for germany. they claimed it was water damage and refused to repair under warranty. repair would have cost ~280 euro.
    i'm waiting for the unrepaired device now and will try to fix it myself, in the meantime i got a gnexus ;)