[Q] Sony my Xperia vs Apple Lost Mode

Search This thread

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013
In apples when in lost mode, you will never unlock the device even after flashing a new firmware.
But what about in Sony? After locking it, will it unlock by flashing a ftf?

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Nothing compares to iOS's lost mode, it ties deep into the device's hardware.
No Android device has a feature that's similar to iOS 7's activation lock. Even Samsung's Note 3 "equivalent" could surely be done away with by flashing CM.

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
There are always ways around it. Even using hardware encryption. I guarantee you apple has an algorithm that will generate a password when needed if you call in to tech support. This will be hacked.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app

pandaball

Oct 18, 2011
Android (MUST) add feature!
How the best Mobile OS could lack this feature?

By not being manufactured by the same company ;) as mentioned by another member, Apple's Lost Mode ties deep into hardware which requires certain hardware support, which is not the case for Android phones since the software and hardware are by different companies.

HtcOneJon

Dec 5, 2013
Avast mobile security has functions and features like this with things in place to prevent flashing recoveries and such like, but to be fair, once your phone is stolen the only need of security software is to ensure your data is wiped. Everything else is unimportant as people will always find a way to reactivate a phone eventually, and you are very unlikely to get it back.

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013
By not being manufactured by the same company ;) as mentioned by another member, Apple's Lost Mode ties deep into hardware which requires certain hardware support, which is not the case for Android phones since the software and hardware are by different companies.

All of the manufacturers use the same API and OS, Android must release such an API then the manufacturers can compile them into there Firmware...

pandaball

Oct 18, 2011
All of the manufacturers use the same API and OS, Android must release such an API then the manufacturers can compile them into there Firmware...

Not really. API levels differ between Android versions, so different Android versions can have different sets of API available. Google could arguably incorporate such a feature into Google Play Services, but then the hardware portion is missing so even if manufacturers had such an option, the prerequisite hardware support must be present and unfortunately pretty much all Android devices to my knowledge don't have such a thing :)

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013
Not really. API levels differ between Android versions, so different Android versions can have different sets of API available. Google could arguably incorporate such a feature into Google Play Services, but then the hardware portion is missing so even if manufacturers had such an option, the prerequisite hardware support must be present and unfortunately pretty much all Android devices to my knowledge don't have such a thing :)

I agree with you but like Apple, why should someone loss there data and phone because of a disaster?
I am sure Android may be working on it#!#?

pandaball

Oct 18, 2011
I agree with you but like Apple, why should someone loss there data and phone because of a disaster?
I am sure Android may be working on it#!#?

If an Apple user lost his/her phone, the data and phone would be gone too ;) software based solutions cannot resist an OS wipe, and there's little Google can do about it.

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013
If an Apple user lost his/her phone, the data and phone would be gone too ;) software based solutions cannot resist an OS wipe, and there's little Google can do about it.

But if we had a backup in our PC or Cloud so we could restore it easily. At least you don't have to pay for a new phone.

pandaball

Oct 18, 2011
But if we had a backup in our PC or Cloud so we could restore it easily. At least you don't have to pay for a new phone.

Uhh? If an iPhone user lost his phone, why wouldn't he have to pay for a new phone? I don't think Apple gives people who lost their phones new ones :) As for backups, app backups can be done with the adb backup command on your computer. Nandroids would work on the same phone model as well, as would apps like Titanium Backup and Helium.

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013
Uhh? If an iPhone user lost his phone, why wouldn't he have to pay for a new phone? I don't think Apple gives people who lost their phones new ones :) As for backups, app backups can be done with the adb backup command on your computer. Nandroids would work on the same phone model as well, as would apps like Titanium Backup and Helium.

I argue for lost phone not data!
Atleast i won't buy a new phone if lost mine in such way.
My aunt lost her IPhone and she found it after 2 days, she also synced her Pictures from the cloud and apps from the iTunes.
THAT'S IT!
Well... i feel jealous in this case cuz i hate Apple. Lol
Android must work on some security features, they can even make something better than Apple's.

pandaball

Oct 18, 2011
I argue for lost phone not data!
Atleast i won't buy a new phone if lost mine in such way.
My aunt lost her IPhone and she found it after 2 days, she also synced her Pictures from the cloud and apps from the iTunes.
THAT'S IT!
Well... i feel jealous in this case cuz i hate Apple. Lol
Android must work on some security features, they can even make something better than Apple's.

I don't really get you... you're saying that if a person loses his phone, he also loses his data?

While this is true for apps, some games now sync game saves to the cloud so it is accessible on other devices and for backup purposes, while for photos, you can try Dropbox or Google+, both have automatic photo and video uploading as well :)

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013
I don't really get you... you're saying that if a person loses his phone, he also loses his data?

While this is true for apps, some games now sync game saves to the cloud so it is accessible on other devices and for backup purposes, while for photos, you can try Dropbox or Google+, both have automatic photo and video uploading as well :)

If you lost your Android Phone then forgot about your Data in your phone, Unless you have a backup ( Nandroid, Cloud, Titanium.....)
There's very less chance to you if you find your phone again. So... Can you live phoneless? PROBABLY NO!
You need to buy a new phone in sucha condition.
In Apple finding your phone after losing it is easy, and your data will be never extracted.
I am an entry level dev and i can extract data from any Android phone but in Apple nobody did yet.
So i want Android (The best OS ever in mine and everyone is view) to create such feature in there upcoming version API, Source code or..... then other manufacturers can compile them into there Firmwares..
By anymean i found Apple's lost mode better than Android device manager or manufacturer's specific.

Last edited:

pandaball

Oct 18, 2011
If you lost your Android Phone then forgot about your Data in your phone, Unless you have a backup ( Nandroid, Cloud, Titanium.....)

True, which is why people should backup more often. Helium has a scheduled backup option :)

In Apple finding your phone after losing it is easy, and your data will be never extracted.

Ehh? If your phone goes missing and it shows up in another country because someone stole it, I would think it isn't very easy to get it back ;)

I am an entry level dev and i can extract data from any Android phone
You can't if the person encrypted his Android phone :) That's another way to protect your data if you so wish.

So i want Android (The best OS ever in mine and everyone is view) to create such feature in there upcoming version API, Source code or..... then other manufacturers can compile them into there Firmwares..
As mentioned above, the hardware support has to be present, else software based solutions can only do so much.