[ROM][Linux] Ubuntu Touch Preview on TF300T [WIP]

Search This thread

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
I am working on porting the latest upstream version and will update this post as things start working.

Things to do:
  1. [DONE] Create boot image that boots into the Ubuntu Touch rootfs.
  2. [DONE] Create Android container started by Ubuntu.
  3. [WIP] Customize configurations and work on kernel and android system to make things work properly (e.g. audio).
  4. [TODO] Setup apparmor security.
  5. Testing, debugging and optimization...
Any help is welcome!

The information and images below are very out-of-date.

The port of Ubuntu Touch to our beloved TF300T is more or less working now.
Please see section "Known Issues" below.

And please read the instructions carefully, including the linked threads, before doing anything to your tablet that might result in a very expensive paper-weight.

Known Issues

Just listing major issues that are specific to the TF300T port.
This is not the place to discuss general issues with Ubuntu Touch.
  • Camera is broken.
  • Dock not fully supported.
There are probably more; please follow this thread and report any new issues you find.

Downloads

Please read the section "Installation" below carefully, if you are not sure what these files are.
That section also contains verbose information on the different bootloader versions.

The binaries are generated automatically by Jenkins.
Generally they are not tested and may be broken.
Please report any issues in this thread, so they can be fixed and broken binaries can be removed.

Bootloader 4.2
These are the latest binaries that should be up-to-date with respect to Canonical's binaries.
Well, sometimes allow a day or two...
  • Android Base-System
    The Android base-system is a stripped-down version of CyanogenMod 10.1 with some additional patches.
    This is, where the major effort for porting Ubuntu Touch goes into.
  • Ubuntu Touch Root FS
    This is the Ubuntu Touch file system.
    Flashing this ZIP will preserve network settings and the phablet home directory, if you had installed Ubuntu Touch before.
    It should work for all devices, however a stripped-down version with some changes for our TF300T is provided.
    Please see the list of changes below.
  • Media Files
    These media files are part of Canonical's root fs, but they rarely (never?) change.
    Splitting the media files into a separate image significantly reduces the size of the rootfs that receives regular updates.
    Unless you manually remove /data/ubuntu, these files will persist re-flashing the rootfs.
Bootloader 4.1
These are out-of-date and are no longer being maintained.
They will be kept, till dev-host deletes them (30 days after the last download):
The rootfs for bootloader 4.1 also includes the media files. There is no separate download.

Android Source Code
The patched repositories of the Android/CyanogenMod/Ubuntu source trees are available on GitHub.
For details, please see section "Building the Android Base-System from Source" below.

Ubuntu Touch Root FS Changes
The "official" Ubuntu Touch root fs does not quite work on our TF300T yet.
So a stripped-down version with the following changes is provided:
  • Run amixer on boot to fix mixer levels.
  • Disable save/restore of alsa settings.
  • Split media files into a separate image.
  • Remove several big and unnecessary files.
The official Ubuntu Touch image does work, but for these issues:
  • Flashing with TWRP fails.
    For details, see the bug report on launchpad.
  • There is no sound, unless you adjust alsa mixer levels manually.
  • Rebooting from Ubuntu goes into a boot-loop.
    When Ubuntu is properly shut down, it saves the current alsa settings.
    Restoring them on the next boot crashes the system and causes the boot-loop.
    Note that rebooting from Android or using adb works fine.
    If you happen to run into the boot-loop, use the TWRP file manager (in the Advanced menu) to remove /data/ubuntu/var/lib/alsa/asound.state.

Installation

Please read the following instructions carefully, and make sure you understand each step and what it will do to your tablet.
The steps are working for me, but you are ultimately responsible, for what you are doing with your own tablet.
I will not be responsible, if you brick your tablet, or if your wife gets angry at you for being too preoccupied with your tablet.

Step 1: Unlock Your Tablet
If you want to give Ubuntu Touch a try, your tablet needs to be unlocked.
There are lots of threads helping with this, please use search to locate this information.

Step 2a: Which Bootloader Do I Have?
Unfortunately, Asus has released several incompatible bootloaders.
To find out, if you can use this port of Ubuntu Touch, go to the bootloader screen by holding the power and vol-down keys.
Once you see the bootloader screen with three or four icons in the center, check the long version number at the top of the screen.
It looks something like: "WW_epad-10.6.1.15.3-20130416".
The first two letters are your SKU and should not matter.
The version number following "epad" is what will be referred to in the following.
  • Version 10.6.1.15.3
    This is the latest version from Asus, generally referred to as "bootloader 4.2" in the XDA forums.
    The latest Ubuntu Touch binaries are developed and tested on this bootloader, so you should be fine.
  • Version 10.6.1.8
    This is an older version of the bootloader 4.2.
    The latest Ubuntu Touch binaries might work for you, though upgrading your bootloader is recommended (see below).
    This version is known to cause issues with the latest TWRP recovery, so be careful.
  • Version 10.4.2.20
    This is the old incompatible bootloader, generally referred to as "jb bootloader" or "bootloader 4.1" in the XDA forums.
    The latest Ubuntu Touch binaries will not work for you, upgrading your bootloader is strongly recommended (see below).
    Older binaries that work with this bootloader are still available for download though.
  • Any older version not listed
    Your bootloader is really out of date and you should upgrade as soon as possible (see below).
  • Any newer version not listed
    You are on uncharted territory. Proceed with care!
    Let us know about your experience in this thread!
Step 2b: Upgrade Your Bootloader
If you have not yet installed bootloader 10.6.1.15.3, it is recommended to upgrade.
Please check the following threads (and several others; search might be helpful):
[GUIDE][26/04]Update/Recovery/Root/Downgrade Android 4.2.1 on Unlocked/Locked Devices
[HOW-TO] Upgrade or Downgrade to any stock JB Firmware

Step 3: Install TWRP Recovery
You need a custom recovery installed for flashing the Ubuntu Touch binaries.
Please check the following thread for getting and installing TWRP recovery:
[RECOVERY][TF300T/TG] TWRP 2.5.0.0 Touch Recovery!

Step 4: Backup and Wipe Your Android System
Before flashing Ubuntu Touch, you need to wipe some parts.
It is strongly recommended to make a backup of your Android system too.
Check section "Restore Android" below on how to restore it.
  • If you are running CyanogenMod 10.1:
    1. Use TWRP to backup "boot" and "system".
      Backing up "data" is not strictly necessary, but recommended.
    2. Wipe "cache", "dalvic cache" and "system".
      In TWRP 2.5 you should use "Wipe -> Advanced Wipe" and check the respective boxes.
      Note that this will not wipe the contents of your "/sdcard" Android folder.
  • If you are not running CyanogenMod 10.1, but another ROM:
    1. Use TWRP to backup "boot", "system" and "data"
    2. Wipe "cache", "system" and "data".
      In TWRP 2.5 you should use "Wipe -> Advanced Wipe" and check the respective boxes.
Step 5: Flash Ubuntu Touch
If you want a clean start or you had installed Ubuntu Touch for bootloader 4.1, please remove /data/ubuntu manually before flashing.
You can use the TWRP file manager in the Advanced menu for that.
If you want to upgrade from a previous Ubuntu Touch for bootloader 4.2, please see section "Upgrade Ubuntu Touch" below.

Flash the following images (see above for downloads):
ubuntu-touch-system-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
ubuntu-touch-rootfs-raring-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
ubuntu-touch-media-XXXXXXXX.zip

Step 6: Reboot Your Tablet
Note that there is no boot animation yet, so the screen will be black, till the shell is starting up.
This make take some time, please be patient!

Restore Android
  1. Boot into TWRP recovery.
  2. Wipe "cache" and "dalvic cache".
  3. Select the last backup done before installing Ubuntu Touch.
  4. If you were running CyanogenMod 10.1:
    Restore "boot" and "system".
  5. If you were not running CyanogenMod 10.1, but another ROM:
    Restore "boot", "system" and "data".
  6. Reboot your tablet.

Upgrade Ubuntu Touch

Generally, the system and the rootfs can be upgraded individually.
However, sometimes Canonical introduces breaking changes, that require them to be upgraded together.

Upgrade ubuntu-touch-system-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
If you are running an older version of that ZIP, you can just flash the new one.
If you have returned to your Android system, please follow "Backup and Wipe Your Android System" under "Installation" above before flashing the new ZIP.

Upgrade ubuntu-touch-rootfs-raring-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
You can flash this ZIP anytime.
Network settings and the phablet home directory will be preserved. This includes the media files from the separate ZIP:
If you want to start clean, remove /data/ubuntu manually and re-flash both rootfs and media.

Upgrade ubuntu-touch-media-XXXXXXXX.zip
It will just overwrite existing files and add new files; old files will not be deleted.
If you want to start clean, remove /data/ubuntu manually and re-flash both rootfs and media.

Building the Android Base-System from Source

Basically you can follow the guide for building CyanogenMod with one exception.
Initialize your CyanogenMod source repository with:
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/f69m/android -b phablet-10.1-tf300t
You can also run this command in an existing repository.

Last edited:

Rouz.

Jun 1, 2010
XDA
Thats great, but ...

Current Status:
Ubuntu Touch is booting and can be accessed via adb, but the screen stays black.

I have the exact same issue even on the official build released for nexus 4 ... The current release of Ubuntu is just such a mess, nothing more than a buggy preview with loads of fake apps and content, and very limited functionality.

I'd love to see Ubuntu on tf300, but I would say (in my humble opinion,) lets wait for a better release, and then we'll get started.

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
I have the exact same issue even on the official build released for nexus 4
Oops, that is intersting, thanks!

I'd love to see Ubuntu on tf300, but I would say (in my humble opinion,) lets wait for a better release, and then we'll get started.
Agreed, if your interest is to have something to play with.

On the other hand, I'd like to see, what is already there and possibly help improve it by contributing to Canonical. And any work we do now will speed up porting, once there is a better release available.

Just trying some more Kernel tweaks after looking at the TF700 port that seems to work (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162472).

keeganmccallum

Nov 16, 2011
Waterloo
Re: [DEV] Porting Ubuntu Touch Preview to TF300T

I have the exact same issue even on the official build released for nexus 4 ... The current release of Ubuntu is just such a mess, nothing more than a buggy preview with loads of fake apps and content, and very limited functionality.

Agreed but I have gotten it up and running on my nexus 4 without much issue, its cool for about 20 min( being generous) but then you realize you can't actually do anything. I feel that its gonna be an awesome platform especially for a transformer tablet though if it goes where they say it will. Full Ubuntu when docked and then touch when not....sounds like what these tablets were made for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

matonka007

Mar 22, 2011
Žatec
Still not working build ? :((

It's pity, i would like to try it, I know, that there is only something functions, but I can try the UI, and how it is look like :)

Maybe someone from TF700 thread who port it for TF700 can help us.

ColMustard

Jan 28, 2012
North of Boston, MA
Still not working build ? :((

It's pity, i would like to try it, I know, that there is only something functions, but I can try the UI, and how it is look like :)

Maybe someone from TF700 thread who port it for TF700 can help us.

Just checked the wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices site, looks like someone has committed to porting it. Though I wouldn't be in a rush to get it just yet seeing as it barely functional. I guess time will tell where this leads.

doubljdog

Nov 12, 2009
Just checked the wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices site, looks like someone has committed to porting it. Though I wouldn't be in a rush to get it just yet seeing as it barely functional. I guess time will tell where this leads.

lol, if you looked at the developer on the wiki you would realize that the developer on it is the originator of this post

Reactions: f69m

ColMustard

Jan 28, 2012
North of Boston, MA

lol, if you looked at the developer on the wiki you would realize that the developer on it is the originator of this post

Yes I realized that after I posted this. Just pointing out that someone has committed to porting this.

Edit: Thanks for pointing out the obvious though,I'm sure nobody else would have figure this out;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
So, is there someone working on it, or not?
Yes, I am working on it, and so are some others.

I installed the one from tf700 on my tf300 and it works decent, except wi-fi, so I'm guessing its not that hard, but i'm not a dev..so...
That is interesting, thanks!

What happens on the tf300t using the CM tf300t base code is a segmentation fault.
The nv video drivers send a null file pointer to fputc() in the Ubuntu libc.

Just trying to do a quick fix, by building my own libc that silently ignores the null pointer, but that is sure not a final solution.
Eventually we need to figure out, where the null pointer comes from and avoid it.

I'll let you know, how it works, once the lenghthy ARM compilation has finished and I had a chance to try it.

WLAN is working fine, BTW, just the display is black.

Last edited:

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
How did you load the patch in your make file? I am adapting your patch to my device.
Are you referring to my patches on GitHub?

Not quite sure, what you are asking for.

Anyhow, the patches for the package makefile and for the kernel are on GitHub
https://github.com/f69m/ubuntu-touch-tf300t.

The changes to the Android repository manifest are described on
https://github.com/f69m/ubuntu-touch-tf300t/wiki/Build-Ubuntu-Touch-for-ASUS-Transformer-TF300T

Apart from those patches it is really the same as building CyanogenMod. Just faster, as only a part of the CM tree is built.

Does that answer your question?

matonka007

Mar 22, 2011
Žatec
Canonical started the daily building of Ubuntu Touch, good news :) I tryied the build for TF700 too, but it have bad DPI.

PS: f69m, I do not know about developing, but if I can help you write. :)

giveen

Jul 6, 2010
Caldwell, ID

Are you referring to my patches on GitHub?

Not quite sure, what you are asking for.

Anyhow, the patches for the package makefile and for the kernel are on GitHub
https://github.com/f69m/ubuntu-touch-tf300t.

The changes to the Android repository manifest are described on
https://github.com/f69m/ubuntu-touch-tf300t/wiki/Build-Ubuntu-Touch-for-ASUS-Transformer-TF300T

Apart from those patches it is really the same as building CyanogenMod. Just faster, as only a part of the CM tree is built.

Does that answer your question?

I was referring to the screen res patch, but I figured it out from your guide.

The problem I am having that my kernel not compiling with Ubuntu options even though I sent them in my defconfig.

They should be working but they are not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
Woohoo, I am seeing something! :D

The Ubuntu package build for my patched libc is still running tests, but I pulled the libc.so binary from the build directory.

This is a manual hack right now, I need to repackage the root FS for flashing and then will make it all available via Dropbox.
Hope that will allow quick downloads for everyone.

Reactions: chrome6boy

-angel*

Sep 10, 2012
Woohoo, I am seeing something! :D

The Ubuntu package build for my patched libc is still running tests, but I pulled the libc.so binary from the build directory.

This is a manual hack right now, I need to repackage the root FS for flashing and then will make it all available via Dropbox.
Hope that will allow quick downloads for everyone.

Oh and then also please dont forget to update the install instructions on the official ubuntu page and here because on Ubuntu it links to your building guide on Github :confused:

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
Oh and then also please dont forget to update the install instructions on the official ubuntu page and here because on Ubuntu it links to your building guide on Github :confused:
Of course, l will make sure to update everywhere, once the image is released, though the entry in the Ubuntu wiki was not done by me.

Got a flashable filesystem now, but that version is crashing on me. Must be something small I am overlooking atm.
So taking a little break and then will finish with refreshed spirit. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am working on porting the latest upstream version and will update this post as things start working.

Things to do:
    1. [DONE] Create boot image that boots into the Ubuntu Touch rootfs.
    2. [DONE] Create Android container started by Ubuntu.
    3. [WIP] Customize configurations and work on kernel and android system to make things work properly (e.g. audio).
    4. [TODO] Setup apparmor security.
    5. Testing, debugging and optimization...
    Any help is welcome!

The information and images below are very out-of-date.

The port of Ubuntu Touch to our beloved TF300T is more or less working now.
    Please see section "Known Issues" below.

And please read the instructions carefully, including the linked threads, before doing anything to your tablet that might result in a very expensive paper-weight.

Known Issues

Just listing major issues that are specific to the TF300T port.
    This is not the place to discuss general issues with Ubuntu Touch.
    • Camera is broken.
    • Dock not fully supported.
    There are probably more; please follow this thread and report any new issues you find.

Downloads

Please read the section "Installation" below carefully, if you are not sure what these files are.
    That section also contains verbose information on the different bootloader versions.

The binaries are generated automatically by Jenkins.
    Generally they are not tested and may be broken.
    Please report any issues in this thread, so they can be fixed and broken binaries can be removed.

Bootloader 4.2
    These are the latest binaries that should be up-to-date with respect to Canonical's binaries.
    Well, sometimes allow a day or two...
    • Android Base-System
      The Android base-system is a stripped-down version of CyanogenMod 10.1 with some additional patches.
      This is, where the major effort for porting Ubuntu Touch goes into.
    • Ubuntu Touch Root FS
      This is the Ubuntu Touch file system.
      Flashing this ZIP will preserve network settings and the phablet home directory, if you had installed Ubuntu Touch before.
      It should work for all devices, however a stripped-down version with some changes for our TF300T is provided.
      Please see the list of changes below.
    • Media Files
      These media files are part of Canonical's root fs, but they rarely (never?) change.
      Splitting the media files into a separate image significantly reduces the size of the rootfs that receives regular updates.
      Unless you manually remove /data/ubuntu, these files will persist re-flashing the rootfs.
    Bootloader 4.1
    These are out-of-date and are no longer being maintained.
    They will be kept, till dev-host deletes them (30 days after the last download):
    The rootfs for bootloader 4.1 also includes the media files. There is no separate download.

Android Source Code
    The patched repositories of the Android/CyanogenMod/Ubuntu source trees are available on GitHub.
    For details, please see section "Building the Android Base-System from Source" below.

Ubuntu Touch Root FS Changes
    The "official" Ubuntu Touch root fs does not quite work on our TF300T yet.
    So a stripped-down version with the following changes is provided:
    • Run amixer on boot to fix mixer levels.
    • Disable save/restore of alsa settings.
    • Split media files into a separate image.
    • Remove several big and unnecessary files.
    The official Ubuntu Touch image does work, but for these issues:
    • Flashing with TWRP fails.
      For details, see the bug report on launchpad.
    • There is no sound, unless you adjust alsa mixer levels manually.
    • Rebooting from Ubuntu goes into a boot-loop.
      When Ubuntu is properly shut down, it saves the current alsa settings.
      Restoring them on the next boot crashes the system and causes the boot-loop.
      Note that rebooting from Android or using adb works fine.
      If you happen to run into the boot-loop, use the TWRP file manager (in the Advanced menu) to remove /data/ubuntu/var/lib/alsa/asound.state.

Installation

Please read the following instructions carefully, and make sure you understand each step and what it will do to your tablet.
    The steps are working for me, but you are ultimately responsible, for what you are doing with your own tablet.
    I will not be responsible, if you brick your tablet, or if your wife gets angry at you for being too preoccupied with your tablet.

Step 1: Unlock Your Tablet
    If you want to give Ubuntu Touch a try, your tablet needs to be unlocked.
    There are lots of threads helping with this, please use search to locate this information.

Step 2a: Which Bootloader Do I Have?
    Unfortunately, Asus has released several incompatible bootloaders.
    To find out, if you can use this port of Ubuntu Touch, go to the bootloader screen by holding the power and vol-down keys.
    Once you see the bootloader screen with three or four icons in the center, check the long version number at the top of the screen.
    It looks something like: "WW_epad-10.6.1.15.3-20130416".
    The first two letters are your SKU and should not matter.
    The version number following "epad" is what will be referred to in the following.
    • Version 10.6.1.15.3
      This is the latest version from Asus, generally referred to as "bootloader 4.2" in the XDA forums.
      The latest Ubuntu Touch binaries are developed and tested on this bootloader, so you should be fine.
    • Version 10.6.1.8
      This is an older version of the bootloader 4.2.
      The latest Ubuntu Touch binaries might work for you, though upgrading your bootloader is recommended (see below).
      This version is known to cause issues with the latest TWRP recovery, so be careful.
    • Version 10.4.2.20
      This is the old incompatible bootloader, generally referred to as "jb bootloader" or "bootloader 4.1" in the XDA forums.
      The latest Ubuntu Touch binaries will not work for you, upgrading your bootloader is strongly recommended (see below).
      Older binaries that work with this bootloader are still available for download though.
    • Any older version not listed
      Your bootloader is really out of date and you should upgrade as soon as possible (see below).
    • Any newer version not listed
      You are on uncharted territory. Proceed with care!
      Let us know about your experience in this thread!
    Step 2b: Upgrade Your Bootloader
    If you have not yet installed bootloader 10.6.1.15.3, it is recommended to upgrade.
    Please check the following threads (and several others; search might be helpful):
    [GUIDE][26/04]Update/Recovery/Root/Downgrade Android 4.2.1 on Unlocked/Locked Devices
    [HOW-TO] Upgrade or Downgrade to any stock JB Firmware

Step 3: Install TWRP Recovery
    You need a custom recovery installed for flashing the Ubuntu Touch binaries.
    Please check the following thread for getting and installing TWRP recovery:
    [RECOVERY][TF300T/TG] TWRP 2.5.0.0 Touch Recovery!

Step 4: Backup and Wipe Your Android System
    Before flashing Ubuntu Touch, you need to wipe some parts.
    It is strongly recommended to make a backup of your Android system too.
    Check section "Restore Android" below on how to restore it.
    • If you are running CyanogenMod 10.1:
      1. Use TWRP to backup "boot" and "system".
        Backing up "data" is not strictly necessary, but recommended.
      2. Wipe "cache", "dalvic cache" and "system".
    • If you are not running CyanogenMod 10.1, but another ROM:
      1. Use TWRP to backup "boot", "system" and "data"
      2. Wipe "cache", "system" and "data".
    Step 5: Flash Ubuntu Touch
    If you want a clean start or you had installed Ubuntu Touch for bootloader 4.1, please remove /data/ubuntu manually before flashing.
    You can use the TWRP file manager in the Advanced menu for that.
    If you want to upgrade from a previous Ubuntu Touch for bootloader 4.2, please see section "Upgrade Ubuntu Touch" below.

Flash the following images (see above for downloads):
    ubuntu-touch-system-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
    ubuntu-touch-rootfs-raring-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
    ubuntu-touch-media-XXXXXXXX.zip

Step 6: Reboot Your Tablet
    Note that there is no boot animation yet, so the screen will be black, till the shell is starting up.
    This make take some time, please be patient!

Restore Android
    1. Boot into TWRP recovery.
    2. Wipe "cache" and "dalvic cache".
    3. Select the last backup done before installing Ubuntu Touch.
    4. If you were running CyanogenMod 10.1:
      Restore "boot" and "system".
    5. If you were not running CyanogenMod 10.1, but another ROM:
      Restore "boot", "system" and "data".
    6. Reboot your tablet.

Upgrade Ubuntu Touch

Generally, the system and the rootfs can be upgraded individually.
    However, sometimes Canonical introduces breaking changes, that require them to be upgraded together.

Upgrade ubuntu-touch-system-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
    If you are running an older version of that ZIP, you can just flash the new one.
    If you have returned to your Android system, please follow "Backup and Wipe Your Android System" under "Installation" above before flashing the new ZIP.

Upgrade ubuntu-touch-rootfs-raring-XXXXXXXX-tf300t-bl4.2.zip
    Network settings and the phablet home directory will be preserved. This includes the media files from the separate ZIP:

Upgrade ubuntu-touch-media-XXXXXXXX.zip
    It will just overwrite existing files and add new files; old files will not be deleted.

Building the Android Base-System from Source

Basically you can follow the guide for building CyanogenMod with one exception.
    Initialize your CyanogenMod source repository with:
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/f69m/android -b phablet-10.1-tf300t
    You can also run this command in an existing repository.
    New Builds are underway

Hey guys,
    I have successfully build the latest Android part of Ubuntu Touch (nah, one of the later builds). The problem is that I am currently enjoying a boring vacation far away from any usable Internet connection plus I am not able to test this, because my TF300T is currently going through RMA.
    I hope that we will get convergence working with our devices ( Tablet only → UbuntuTouch, Tablet connected to Doch → normal Unity/full Ubuntu Desktop) but it's still a long way. Hopefully f69m joins us again.
    So: Keep your heads up, somebody still cares about UbuntuTouch.
    Best regards
    Kalle
    Here is a new ZIP for download:
    ubuntu-touch-tf300t-trusty-stable-0002.zip

Changes:
    • Disabled the fb console. You will no longer see the Linux penguin and see the kernel boot, but now it is much more stable.
    • Switching off speakers in card reset. I heard white noise and clicks on reboot that should be fixed. I am close to finalizing sound configuration, so it will properly switch between speaker and headphones.
    The problem was a "division by zero" in the kernel, when trying to log to the fb console. Seems it caused both the reboot, when undocked and the slowness and crashes when docked.
    After disabling the console it runs pretty smooth, though apps still take 5-10 secs to start. But that is a general UT issue, not specific to our port. ;)

EDIT: Note that the Ubuntu image is some random snapshot and not one of the promoted stable images. The new version of mir is supposed to land in the official images somewhen next week; then we can use the offically promoted stable images for testing.
    Yet another update (hopefully the last one without something to flash):

When I had a closer look at Ubuntu Touch support in MultiROM, I noticed that the new UT system images are not installed from TWRP, but from the Android MultiROM Manager app. The code in TWRP works just under-the-hood.

The good news is: I have a first port of the app and a compatible system image server!
    And once it works, delta updates can be installed from UT system settings.
    I am pretty close to finishing and booting my first UT install using those.

Need to squash some more bugs and do some polishing, then we should have a really easy way to install and upgrade.
    Just flashing still takes ages...
    Finally got working images, currently uploading to Dropbox.
    I'll update the first post in this tread and other pages, once they are available for download.

Might take a while, my uplink is rather slow...