Mount /system rw using terminal.

Search This thread

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I have been trying for hours now to remount the /system partition rw using terminal emulator with no luck. I can do it just fine using root explorer, but thats not what im after. Im trying to make it so that system is mounted rw on boot. But every command i have known to work in the past, and every one i found thru googling has not worked. The command finishes with no errors, but /system is still ro. I even went as far as to unpack the boot img and change /system to be rw on mount. But again when i boot up /system is still ro. Its like something is protecting it or remounting it ro again. By editing the boot.img i was able to mount the root directory (/) rw on boot, but doing the same edit to the /system mount point seems to have no effect. Anyone know what im missing here? I am s-off, unlocked, i have an insecure boot.img, i have root, i dont know how much more insecure my phone could be. If root explorer and other apps are able to do it, there has to be a way to do it thru a shell.

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
I have been trying for hours now to remount the /system partition rw using terminal emulator with no luck. I can do it just fine using root explorer, but thats not what im after. Im trying to make it so that system is mounted rw on boot. But every command i have known to work in the past, and every one i found thru googling has not worked. The command finishes with no errors, but /system is still ro. I even went as far as to unpack the boot img and change /system to be rw on mount. But again when i boot up /system is still ro. Its like something is protecting it or remounting it ro again. By editing the boot.img i was able to mount the root directory (/) rw on boot, but doing the same edit to the /system mount point seems to have no effect. Anyone know what im missing here? I am s-off, unlocked, i have an insecure boot.img, i have root, i dont know how much more insecure my phone could be. If root explorer and other apps are able to do it, there has to be a way to do it thru a shell.

Try this:

Create an executable script - like this one:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# Make system rw
chmod 666 /system;
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p35", "/system");

Save it in your storage location as systemmount (or whatever).
  • Open terminal, type su.
  • Type:cd /sdcard/
  • Type: systemmount

Exit and see if that works. I have not tested it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmlusco

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Thanks but no luck
Code:
exec /system/bin/sh '/storage/emulated/legacy/Download/scripts/00remount' 
/Download/scripts/00remount'                        <
Unable to chmod /system: Read-only file system
/storage/emulated/legacy/Download/scripts/00remount[4]: syntax error: '"ext4",' unexpected

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Thanks, but i figured it out. It turns out the command i had used in the first place was correct. (mount -o remount,rw /system). After i ran the command i would check with root explorer to see if it worked, and it always showed it did not. But when you check it the correct way, the way i shoukd have been in the first place, by typing 'mount' in terminal it shows it did indeed get remounted rw. So its an issue with root explorer, not with the command i was using.

Incidently if you do the command 'mount' without su permission, it shows sysyem as ro, but if you do it under an su prompt it shows it as rw.

Reactions: brymaster5000

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks, but i figured it out. It turns out the command i had used in the first place was correct. (mount -o remount,rw /system). After i ran the command i would check with root explorer to see if it worked, and it always showed it did not. But when you check it the correct way, the way i shoukd have been in the first place, by typing 'mount' in terminal it shows it did indeed get remounted rw. So its an issue with root explorer, not with the command i was using.

Incidently if you do the command 'mount' without su permission, it shows sysyem as ro, but if you do it under an su prompt it shows it as rw.

Nice work.

Sent from my Lunar Ecliptic One.

Reactions: cmlusco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try this:

Create an executable script - like this one:
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    # Make system rw
    chmod 666 /system;
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p35", "/system");

Save it in your storage location as systemmount (or whatever).
    • Open terminal, type su.
    • Type:cd /sdcard/
    • Type: systemmount

Exit and see if that works. I have not tested it.
    Put the mount first before chmod. Delete ext4 and emmc

Nice work.