Root Trio Stealth Pro 9.7

Search This thread

bardell3600

How to Root the Trio Stealth Pro 9.7

(a.k.a. Trio Stealth Pro 9.7C 4.0)

The Trio Stealth Pro 9.7 is Mach Speed Technologies' second entry into the Android Tablet market. Their first entry was the Trio Stealth Pro 7 and it came already rooted. Unfortunately this one, its bigger brother, did not come rooted.

But our friend Bin4ry has come up with an innovative solution that works on many ICS and JB tablets and phones. And fortunately for us it works on the Trio Stealth Pro 9.7.

His post titled Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 13.10.2012] can be found on this forum at:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Be sure to view his "How to" video on youtube before attempting this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EpkrCq1gfM

You will see in the video he says to test the adb drivers and to not attempt this root until you pass that test. So here is my real contribution in that the folks at Mach Speed have a nearly useless support site that hasn't been updated to include either Stealth Pro tablet in any case. So what you need to know is that the Trio Stealth 9.7 is basically a rebranded MOMO11 Bird edition. Then you need to find a Spanish language forum post that refers you to the following site for the MOMO11 Bird edition (upgraded to 4.0.4) drivers:

Get the drivers here -
http://www.kmods.net/android/drivers_g59.html

If Bin4ry updates his tool, I suspect it will still work. But just in case, I used
I used Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v15

Last edited:

IvyCO

Nov 17, 2012
Problems Rooting

I have the Trio Stealth Pro 9.7 and am trying to root it.

I watched the video, noting the tablet portion, downloaded the drivers for connecting the tablet to my PC (kmods.net/android/drivers_g59.html), connected the tablet to my PC, used the drivers, and then followed his video tutorial as closely as possible. I noticed problems in the process when the blue screen terminal did not automatically pop up on the reboot. I had to go to the apps page and start the terminal myself. I tried the onload scripts, but no luck. Still said it didn't have permissions.

What were you referring to about the "Spanish language forum". Was that for the drivers you posted in the link? I have retried the process a few times, but no luck. I'm not sure how you can help, but wondered if there was anything you did differently than in the video tutorial. You selected 2(for tablets) and 1(for root), right? I was thinking of trying option 1 for kicks...

Here is the output on the PC...

C:\tmpand>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is E004-39F6

Directory of C:\tmpand

11/17/2012 03:32 PM <DIR> .
11/17/2012 03:32 PM <DIR> ..
10/13/2012 03:11 AM 10,236 RunMe.bat
10/13/2012 03:12 AM 11,695 RunMe.sh
10/01/2012 11:43 PM <DIR> stuff
2 File(s) 21,931 bytes
3 Dir(s) 15,248,822,272 bytes free

C:\tmpand>stuff\adb devices
List of devices attached
20080411413fc082 device

C:\tmpand>runme
======================================================================
= This script will root your Android phone with adb restore function =
= Script by Bin4ry (thanks to Goroh_kun and tkymgr for the idea) =
= Idea for Tablet S from Fi01_IS01 =
= (13.10.2012) v15 =

Device type:
1) Normal
2) Special (for example: Sony Tablet S, Medion Lifetab)

x) Unroot

Make a choice: 2

Special mode:
1) Root
2) Rollback
Make a choice: 1

Tablet S mode enabled!

2457 KB/s (314540 bytes in 0.125s)
pkg: /sdcard/tmp/Term.apk
pkg----5------:
pkg----6------:
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]
2511 KB/s (1085140 bytes in 0.421s)
1916 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.046s)
2708 KB/s (996704 bytes in 0.359s)
2447 KB/s (469980 bytes in 0.187s)
mkdevsh
onload.sh
onload2.sh
packages.xml.sed
remount.sh
VpnFaker.apk
_su
Please look at your device and click "Restore my data"

1st RESTORE OK, hit ENTER to continue.
Press any key to continue . . .
Please look at your device and click "Restore my data"

Achieved! hit ENTER to continue.

cp: can't open '/data/system/usagestats/usage-20121118': Permission denied
cp: can't open '/data/system/users/userlist.xml': Permission denied
cp: can't open '/data/system/users/0.xml': Permission denied
failed on '/data/system' - Permission denied
failed on '/data/system2' - Directory not empty
failed on '/data/app' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/app, File exists
failed on '/data/local/tmp/VpnFaker.apk' - Permission denied
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/system/packages.xml: Permission denied
Need to reboot now!
Waiting for device to come up again....
Unlock your device, a Terminal will show now, type this 2 lines, after each line
press ENTER
/data/local/tmp/onload.sh
/data/local/tmp/onload2.sh
after this is done press a key here in this shell to continue!
If the shell on your device does not show please re-start the process!
Error type 2
android.util.AndroidException: Can't connect to activity manager; is the system
running?
at com.android.commands.am.Am.run(Am.java:99)
at com.android.commands.am.Am.main(Am.java:80)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.finishInit(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:238)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
77 KB/s (1241 bytes in 0.015s)
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[1]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[2]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[3]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[4]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[5]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[6]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[7]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[8]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[9]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[10]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[11]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[12]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[13]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[14]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[15]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[16]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[17]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[18]: /dev/sh: not found
/data/local/tmp/script1.sh[19]: /dev/sh: not found
Almost complete! Reboot and cleanup.
Waiting for device to come up again....
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
You can close all open command-prompts now!
After reboot all is done! Have fun!
Bin4ry

Last edited:

bardell3600

I have the Trio Stealth Pro 9.7 and am trying to root it.

I watched the video, noting the tablet portion, downloaded the drivers for connecting the tablet to my PC (kmods.net/android/drivers_g59.html), connected the tablet to my PC, used the drivers, and then followed his video tutorial as closely as possible. I noticed problems in the process when the blue screen terminal did not automatically pop up on the reboot. I had to go to the apps page and start the terminal myself. I tried the onload scripts, but no luck. Still said it didn't have permissions.

What were you referring to about the "Spanish language forum". Was that for the drivers you posted in the link? I have retried the process a few times, but no luck. I'm not sure how you can help, but wondered if there was anything you did differently than in the video tutorial. You selected 2(for tablets) and 1(for root), right? I was thinking of trying option 1 for kicks...

Here is the output on the PC...

C:\tmpand>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is E004-39F6

Directory of C:\tmpand

11/17/2012 03:32 PM <DIR> .
11/17/2012 03:32 PM <DIR> ..
10/13/2012 03:11 AM 10,236 RunMe.bat
10/13/2012 03:12 AM 11,695 RunMe.sh
10/01/2012 11:43 PM <DIR> stuff
2 File(s) 21,931 bytes
3 Dir(s) 15,248,822,272 bytes free

C:\tmpand>stuff\adb devices
List of devices attached
20080411413fc082 device

C:\tmpand>runme
= This script will root your Android phone with adb restore function =
= Script by Bin4ry (thanks to Goroh_kun and tkymgr for the idea) =
= Idea for Tablet S from Fi01_IS01 =
= (13.10.2012) v15 =

Device type:
1) Normal
2) Special (for example: Sony Tablet S, Medion Lifetab)

x) Unroot

Make a choice: 2
. .

You should have used Normal, choice 1. Choice 2 is for two other tablets and is a special case option. Use ONLY for Sony and Medion. I see where you got confused. In the vedio he says (audio) "Two is for the tablet." He should have said "Two is for the Sony tablet"

brooklynite

Sep 19, 2007

I have the Trio Stealth Pro 9.7 . . .

hi there, Im trying to buy this and wanted to ask you a few questions:

1) What is the screen resolution? 1280x768? or 1920x1200?
2) Have you been able to ROOT it? Not sure why you would as I am sure it can install any APK file and does not have cell service to root to tether with. I rooted my phone just to get free tethering working.
3) Can you install Google Play on it? How about amazon apps? Is installing google apps such as Gmail/Youtube/Maps as easy as downloading the APK from androidpolice or similar and installing them?
4) have you tried playing any 720p mkv movie/show files, I dont even know if it easily reads external drive and/or it has file explorer to copy files to it.

Sorry to have asked you these in this thread but you seem to be the only person who owns it and I may pick one up fro walmart tomorrow. :laugh:

Last edited:

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008

2) Have you been able to ROOT it? Not sure why you would as I am sure it can install any APK file and does not have cell service to root to tether with. I rooted my phone just to get free tethering working.
3) Can you install Google Play on it? How about amazon apps? Is installing google apps such as Gmail/Youtube/Maps as easy as downloading the APK from androidpolice or similar and installing them?
4) have you tried playing any 720p mkv movie/show files, I dont even know if it easily reads external drive and/or it has file explorer to copy files to it.

Sorry to have asked you these in this thread but you seem to be the only person who owns it and I may pick one up fro walmart tomorrow. :laugh:

I just picked up one of these tablets, early this Black Friday morning from K Mart.

1. The box says 1204x768
  2. I haven't tried to ROOT it yet.
  3. I downloaded Google Play v3.10.9 APK file from here and it installed OK. I was able to run the app well enough to get up a Google account, Gmail,, and link the tablet to it. However, whenever I try to actually download an app, either from the Play app or from the website, the Play app on the tablet fails and gives an error msg it stopped working. The manufacturer does offer is own app website (apps.triomp3.com), with a small minimal number of apps. I also found that Aptoide works and offers a reasonable number of apps, like Chrome and Google Sky.
  4. I haven't tried that yet, but the tablet does have a file explorer already installed.

Last edited:

x1kyle26

Nov 23, 2012
I'm trying to root now and install google play, I also picked one up for black friday. will let ya'll know how it turns out.

bardell3600

1) already answered - 1204 x 768 (per box)
2) yes, I started this thread after I had just successfully rooted
3) root first then :
A. Install ES File Explorer (download from http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html)
B. Launch ES File Explorer and go to settings (bottom on screen three dots vertically aligned)
C. In Setting go to "Root setting" and check all 4 boxes
D. Download Phonesky.apk (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18294468)
E. Move Phonesky.apk to /system/app/
F. Change Phonesky.apk permissions to rw- r-- r--
a. tap and long hold Phonesky.apk
b. select "properties" and change the permissions from there
Works Fine have download and installed from Play Store several Apps
4) don't know,. I haven't tried.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaltA

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008
Well, I did the root and the installation of Google Play store.

While I found the instructions intimidating, it turned out to be pretty easy. I have rooted several of my cell phones, and this was easier.

Some comments:

I didn't need the drivers; neither storage nor ADB. My installation of Win 7 sp1 x64, already had the required drivers.

A. Install ES File Explorer (download from http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.htm)

I actually had to use http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html (note the "l" at the end of the URL)

Phonesky is apparently a copy of the older Android Market app. However, after it self-installs, it will automatically update itself to the Google Play app. Just give it a few minutes.

After the automatic update is done, open up Google Play, and go to the list of apps already installed. Do an "update" on all apps so noted. This will not only get you the latest version, but also establish a "link" to the Google Play store so that you'll be notified of future updates.

Much thanks to bardell3600 ! ! !

Last edited:

x1kyle26

Nov 23, 2012
3) root first then :
A. Install ES File Explorer (download from http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.htm)
B. Launch ES File Explorer and go to settings (bottom on screen three dots vertically aligned)
Works Fine have download and installed from Play Store Several Apps

Hello kind sir I am having trouble finding the phonsky.apk on my tablet to relocate it on step E, can you help me with this?

Reactions: tariq777

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008
Hello kind sir I am having trouble finding the phonsky.apk on my tablet to relocate it on step E, can you help me with this?

I downloaded it using my PC, to my PC, and then copied the file over to my tablet's "download" directory. Then I used ES File Explorer to move/copy the file from "download" to the "system/app" directory as per the instructions.

ManImCool

Nov 26, 2007
Just ordered one of these, can't wait to root and tinker. For those of you that already have it, have you found a good folding case/keyboard for it? I know there are tons out there for 10" ones but seeing as this is 9.7" i want it to be perfect.

eureca

Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for all the info bardell3600. Just bought one of these and plan to root it when I receive it in the mail. From your instructions seems easy enough to do and put the google store on it.

Couple of questions though if anyone knows.

1. I read a review that says Netflix doesn't work on this? Is that true? If so can I fix it?

2. Is there custom firmware available after I root it? Can I just install the latest momo11 bird firmware on this tablet since its a clone?

3. How do you make a backup of the device? In case something goes wrong. And how do you upgrade the firmware if possible?

Sorry never really owned a android device just messed around with some from time to time.

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008
1. I read a review that says Netflix doesn't work on this? Is that true? If so can I fix it?

Based on my experience on other Android devices, this might be due to the device being rooted. When rooted, you could make a permanent copy of any downloads from Netflix, and share/copy them. So, the Netfix software detects if a device is rooted, and will not run if found to be true.

If so, the fix would be to unroot, either permanently or temporarily, before running Netfix.

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

I know there are tons out there for 10" ones but seeing as this is 9.7" i want it to be perfect.

Its the overall size of the tablet, not the size of the screen, that matters for the case. IMHO, there really isn't a difference between 10" and 9.7".

bardell3600

Couple of questions though if anyone knows.

It appears the previous poster is correct. Likely whoever wrote the review you refer to had not seen this thread and therefore he/she had not rooted. Their problem may have been as simple as not being able to install Netflix without Google's Play Store.

I just loaded Netflix via https://play.google.com - it seems to work fine. Did not signup nor signin. Had to launch twice. The first launch failed to obtain the device token.

2. Is there custom firmware available after I root it? Can I just install the latest momo11 bird firmware on this tablet since its a clone?

You are likely ahead of the curve on this one and #3, below. Custom ROMs are just that, a ROM custom built for a specific device. This tablet it too new.

You can try other ROMs like the Momo11 ROM. But you do so at your own risk. I would recommend strongly against doing so because you are so new to Android

3. How do you make a backup of the device? In case something goes wrong. And how do you upgrade the firmware if possible?

Like the question above you are getting the horse before the cart. Apps like Titanium Backup will work fine once the Trio 9.7 is rooted. But for a full ROM backup you need Clockworkmod Recovery. That is a Clockworkmod custom recover built specifically for this tablet. Early summer I bought a different Tablet that was brand new, just introduced. It took about 3 months before someone posted a Clockworkmod Recovery method.

No one had even rooted this device until I did just two weeks ago.

bardell3600

Just ordered one of these, can't wait to root and tinker. For those of you that already have it, have you found a good folding case/keyboard for it? I know there are tons out there for 10" ones but seeing as this is 9.7" i want it to be perfect.

I think WaltA may have misunderstood your question. I think you are asking about cases not overall screen viewing area (viewing area ratio is a personal opinion - I much prefer 9.7 over the thinner and wider 10".) Concerning cases, it is not a preference. A case built for a 10” will never ever fit a 9.7.

Cases are custom built to match the buttons, connections and camera(s) of a specific tablet.

Google "ployer momo11 bird case" and you'll get multiple links. Look for something open on the front camera side. This tablet has the speakers on the side. The Momo11's speakers are on the back. So a Momo11 case where you slip the tablet in from the front camera side would be nearly exact except two extra slits in the back where the Momo11 speakers are placed.

Momo11
Dimension 243mm * 190mm * 9.7mm
Net Weight 0.63 kg

My ruler and micrometer say
243mm * 190mm and
0.40 inches = 10.2mm

Trust me, unless it is a metal case ½mm won't make a difference

Last edited:
Reactions: ManImCool

ManImCool

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the input. I see many options out there. I guess back to my original question, do you personally have a specific keyboard/case for this tablet that you particularly really enjoy?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(a.k.a. Trio Stealth Pro 9.7C 4.0)

The Trio Stealth Pro 9.7 is Mach Speed Technologies' second entry into the Android Tablet market. Their first entry was the Trio Stealth Pro 7 and it came already rooted. Unfortunately this one, its bigger brother, did not come rooted.

But our friend Bin4ry has come up with an innovative solution that works on many ICS and JB tablets and phones. And fortunately for us it works on the Trio Stealth Pro 9.7.

His post titled Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 13.10.2012] can be found on this forum at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Be sure to view his "How to" video on youtube before attempting this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EpkrCq1gfM

You will see in the video he says to test the adb drivers and to not attempt this root until you pass that test. So here is my real contribution in that the folks at Mach Speed have a nearly useless support site that hasn't been updated to include either Stealth Pro tablet in any case. So what you need to know is that the Trio Stealth 9.7 is basically a rebranded MOMO11 Bird edition. Then you need to find a Spanish language forum post that refers you to the following site for the MOMO11 Bird edition (upgraded to 4.0.4) drivers:

Get the drivers here -
    http://www.kmods.net/android/drivers_g59.html

If Bin4ry updates his tool, I suspect it will still work. But just in case, I used
    I used Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v15
    Yes, they do... Just have to find the right one, merge it with the flash file for our existing ROM, and viola :) Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

We do have CWM though. That's a start.

I saw that and when I couldn't find anything definite about CM I decided to try cooking my first ROM lol. I got it working...stock ROM with SU/BusyBox and Play Store baked in. A few build.prop tweaks. That's about it but performance is slightly improved and it should be helpful for those having trouble installing Play on the device.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

I created a basic stock based ROM for the Trio Pro 9.7. The thread is Here. Root and busybox are pre-installed as is Google Play. Other than zip aligning the apks and adding a few build.prop tweaks it is 100% stock. Hope it helps!
    Firmware for the Trio 4.3, 7B and 9.7 now available

Great news. I should be able to obtain these firmwares in the near future. Please subscribe to the Trio 9.7 thread over at Slatedroids (see link below) for updates on firmware availability.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/67650-firmware-now-available-for-trio-43-7b-and-97/

Thanks,

smithmal

3) root first then :
    A. Install ES File Explorer (download from http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html)
    Works Fine have download and installed from Play Store several Apps
    I have the original img that is supposedly for the 9.7 that I used on my 9.7c and everything works. Including touch. Since I cannot post links pm me if you would like the link.