Sprint blocking inbound ports? Want to use VNC Server over 3G/4G

Search This thread

armyturtle

Aug 23, 2007
IMHO a data connection I'm paying for is a data connection. I'm peeved at the thought that Sprint is not allowing outside world inbound port connections to my device (S4). I have a technically challenged mother-in-law and it'd be great if I could VNC into her device to help her.

Droid VNC Server supposedly allows this over 3G/4G and even shows my external IP address, but all connections fail.
VMLite Server ( http://goo.gl/Q14Hq ) does work, but ONLY via local WiFi.

Anyone have experience with getting this to work over 3G/4G data connection or a way around this?

pmcnano

Dec 5, 2008
Lol dude, do you think your "ip adress" is unique on cellphone? Of course not...

You are paying to have DATA in your cellphone, not a internet service. Use wifi..

Imaginos

Jun 27, 2007
New Hampshire
IMHO a data connection I'm paying for is a data connection. I'm peeved at the thought that Sprint is not allowing outside world inbound port connections to my device (S4). I have a technically challenged mother-in-law and it'd be great if I could VNC into her device to help her.

Droid VNC Server supposedly allows this over 3G/4G and even shows my external IP address, but all connections fail.

Anyone have experience with getting this to work over 3G/4G data connection or a way around this?

You're doing better then I am if you have it working at all. I'm on rooted MF9 and haven't found a working server yet. Only tried the free ones so far though. May have to give in and buy VMLite I reckon. :(

mikejones13

Sep 21, 2008
Hidden somewhere in the USA
Have you thought about using a MDM to access her device. At my job we use SOTI Mobile Device Management (recommended by Samsung), with this software I am able to remote access and control any android, ios and Windows xp-Windows 8 on any network. I have tried 3G, LTE and Wifi. Our school currently has 670 Galaxy Note 10.1 and I can control each and every one. I can remote in to the device run programs, watch videos and push out Apps silently without having to have the student login into google services. Most companies will give you at least a 2 week trial to see if you like it and that is when you can remote in to their device.

raindog469

Apr 25, 2011
Lol dude, do you think your "ip adress" is unique on cellphone? Of course not...

You are paying to have DATA in your cellphone, not a internet service. Use wifi..

"Lol dude", my old Epic 4G had a unique IP, as does my partner's current Epic Touch. (So did my Palm Pre.) But the Epics are/were Wimax, so it must be that Sprint got stingy when they moved to LTE.

Sucks for me. I know there are dynamic DNS updaters... anyone know of a persistent reverse SSH tunnel app?

VandyCWG

Have you thought about TeamViewer? I use that from my mobile to log into my parents computer to help them.

max229

Jan 6, 2014
Setup a VPN connection and use that to connect to what you want?

Sent via mobile