Installing RUU as a way of downgrading hboot?

Search This thread

Crocodilek

Oct 21, 2010
Hi,

Because my HTC Evo 3D is gone for repairs it will (hopefuly) return fixed and most probably updated to stock ICS with hboot 1.53.0007. Previously I've used HTCdev to unlock the bootloader and install 4ext recovery, then the Wire Trick to get S-off and finally this guide to downgrade to hboot 1.49.0007

Before sending the mobile for repairs, I've reverted it as close to stock as possible, using the method described here. One of the steps required extracting ROM.zip from RUU exe file, renaming it to PG86IMG.zip and installing in fastboot.

Now my question is... With a "fresh" phone (ICS, S-on, locked), will it be possible to install PG86IMG.zip extracted from Gingerbread RUU in fastboot? If this way works, it would downgrade hboot to 1.49.0007 and then allow me to use Revolutionary to get the phone Unlocked and S-off (instead of the HTCDev + Juopunutbear + hboot downgrade combination).

Will this work or will it fail? If the latter, is there a chance of bricking the device?

I'm sorry if my question is noobish, but I'm still very new to all the HTC hboot, S-on/S-off and fastboot stuff...

Best regards,
Crocodil

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
Hi,

Because my HTC Evo 3D is gone for repairs it will (hopefuly) return fixed and most probably updated to stock ICS with hboot 1.53.0007. Previously I've used HTCdev to unlock the bootloader and install 4ext recovery, then the Wire Trick to get S-off and finally this guide to downgrade to hboot 1.49.0007

Before sending the mobile for repairs, I've reverted it as close to stock as possible, using the method described here. One of the steps required extracting ROM.zip from RUU exe file, renaming it to PG86IMG.zip and installing in fastboot.

Now my question is... With a "fresh" phone (ICS, S-on, locked), will it be possible to install PG86IMG.zip extracted from Gingerbread RUU in fastboot? If this way works, it would downgrade hboot to 1.49.0007 and then allow me to use Revolutionary to get the phone Unlocked and S-off (instead of the HTCDev + Juopunutbear + hboot downgrade combination).

Will this work or will it fail? If the latter, is there a chance of bricking the device?

I'm sorry if my question is noobish, but I'm still very new to all the HTC hboot, S-on/S-off and fastboot stuff...

Best regards,
Crocodil
With s-on, RUU won't work

Reactions: Crocodilek

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
It will fail because the main version of the Gingerbread ROM is lower than your current ROM

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Crocodilek

Oct 21, 2010
Yes, but if you left your phone s-off you could get it back s-off. Then you can do the RUU thing. AFAIK service won't touch s-off unless they change the motherboard

Well, the touchscreen in lower bottom of the screen has stopped working and the phone is still on warranty, so I've reverted it to stock ICS + s-on + "Relocked" (didn't find any way to get back to "Locked"). This way there's a better chance that they will do the repair on warranty but I've read different reports about the Polish HTC certificated repair service... Sometimes they void warranty for using HTCdev unlock even if a problem is clearly with hardware (like in my case).

I hope that my EVO does get repaired as I've really enjoyed using it with CM11...

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
lol, scares every one. But it was the frist way to downgrade

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Use the firmware zip from OTA 2.95 makes it easy to do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Best regards,
    Crocodil
    With s-on, RUU won't work